2007 Tundra

Started by crv16, February 09, 2006, 09:20:44 AM

crv16

Tired of getting sand kicked in its face by pickups from Ford, General Motors and Dodge, the Toyota Tundra was sent to the gym.

What emerges for the 2007 model year is a bigger, beefier pickup, with styling that takes its cues from the FTX concept truck from 2004.

The 2007 Tundra was unveiled Thursday morning at the Chicago Auto Show.

When it goes on sale about a year from now, here's what buyers will find:

A bigger truck. The Tundra's wheelbase has been stretched 10 inches to 138.3 inches on the standard cab. The wheelbase on the Double Cab is 150.5 inches. The overall length grows about the same amount, ranging from about 228 to 240 inches.

A new 5.7-liter V-8 joins the engine lineup. That engine should make more than 300 hp and be mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. It will join the current engines - a 4.0-liter V-6 that was rated at 236 hp for 2006 and a 4.7-liter V-8 that was rated at 271 hp.

Towing capacity rated at more than 10,000 pounds.

Three trim levels - base, SR5 and Limited - and three cab configurations, including the Double Cab.

The options list will include a rearview backup camera and Bluetooth connectivity for cellular telephones.

09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

crv16

February 9, 2006 ? Chicago - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., unveiled the all-new next-generation Tundra full-size pickup truck at a press conference today at the 2006 Chicago Auto Show.
The Tundra was first introduced in 1999 as a 2000 model. Since then, it has won numerous awards and has been recognized for its value, quality and reliability. The completely redesigned 2007 Tundra will be bigger, more powerful and will offer new body and engine configurations.

"From bumper-to-bumper, under the hood and from the inside out the new Tundra is a true American truck that will set a new benchmark in the full-size truck segment," said Jim Lentz, TMS group vice president and general manager. "It will be aimed at the ?True Trucker,' the true opinion leaders among full-size owners. True Truckers are highly credible because they use, punish, and demand the most out of the pickups they buy."

The expanded size and power of the new Tundra will be reflected in its ability to tow over 10,000 pounds. To achieve this towing capacity every major component was designed for maximum strength, durability and reliability over the long haul. This will be accomplished with an all-new 5.7-liter i-Force V8 engine manufactured at Toyota's Alabama engine plant. The V8 will be mated to a new heavy-duty six-speed automatic transmission. In addition to the new powertrain, Tundra will also come equipped with heavy-duty front disc brakes with four-piston calipers and vented rotors increased by nearly one and one-half inches, and standard rear disc brakes. High capacity cooling and electrical systems will help Tundra tow heavy loads through the toughest weather. Finally, Tundra will ride on a new rock-solid chassis platform with 30 percent higher tensile strength steel.

Development of the new Tundra was spearheaded by Toyota's U.S.-based facilities. Product planning began at TMS headquarters in Southern California. All engineering development was directed by the Toyota Technical Center in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Styling, inside and out, was the work of Toyota's Calty Research and Design Centers in Newport Beach, California and Ann Arbor, Michigan. Finally, the new Tundra will be built at Toyota Motor Manufacturing in Princeton, Indiana and Toyota's new truck plant in San Antonio, Texas.

Tundra has been super-sized in every metric of comparison with the vehicle it replaces. Its all-new, full-size platform will feature a significantly expanded wheelbase and an increase of 10 inches in overall length. Tundra will also gain nearly five inches in height and will be four full inches wider than before, placing it among the segment leaders in overall size.

Buyers of the new Tundra will have a choice of three engines. In addition to the new 5.7-liter V8, the capable 4.0-liter V6 and the legendary 4.7-liter i-Force V8, both also built in Alabama, will be available.

The new Tundra will come in three cab configurations. It will retain its three-grade strategy with the Base, SR5 and well-appointed Limited trim levels. In all, Tundra will be offered in more than 30 different models, nearly double the current generation.

Calty designers set out to complement the new Tundra's increased size by creating a design with bold, brave and distinctive character lines that are different from anything on the road today. From the front, the new Tundra features a bold front grille, strong bumper and large headlights with a steely glare, conveying a strong and powerful physical presence. The profile reveals a thicker body and taller doors with character lines and fender flares that add dimension and strength as well as an unwavering stance.

Tundra's powerful and rugged exterior styling characteristics extend to the inside. A "command and control" center provides an unobstructed view of the instrument panel and puts knobs, switches and buttons within close reach of the driver.
All Tundra models will feature a class-leading, roomy passenger cabin providing front passengers with four inches more shoulder room. Two-row models will offer rear passengers nearly three inches more shoulder. Front passengers will receive nearly four more inches of hip room while rear passengers will enjoy six inches of additional hip room. Interior storage capacity is increased with the addition of hidden storage compartments, second-row seats that double as work surfaces (two-row models only), and a larger center console box.

For buyers who use their Tundra as a work truck quick and easy access to the truck bed is essential. The new Tundra will feature a tailgate that can be opened and closed with just two fingers. Robust dampers on the hinges have been added to help cushion the tailgate when opening and also help reduce bouncing when driving with the tailgate down. Other design features with workers in mind include large door handles, inside and out, easy-to-turn HVAC knobs, and adjustable headrests, allowing drivers and passengers to ride to their next work site without having to remove protective gear such as hardhats or gloves.

Designers also had safety in mind with the addition of extra large side mirrors to provide a wide field of view, while reducing wind noise and image vibration, always important when towing precious cargo. Additionally, a trailer hitch will be integrated into the Tundra's frame for better stability when handling heavy loads.

The Tundra will be loaded with standard-equipped comfort and convenience features. An array of options and accessories will also be offered, such as a JBL premium audio system with Bluetooth telephone compatibility, 10-way power-adjustable driver's seat, and a wide-screen backup camera integrated into the tailgate handle for enhanced rear-view safety.

"As much as the new Tundra has changed, there are a few things that remain the same," said Jim Press TMS president and COO. "Tundra will again offer the most comfortable, quiet and refined ride in the full-size truck segment. Its build quality, reliability, and durability will, again, be second to none."

The all-new Tundra will arrive in dealer showrooms in early 2007.

2007 TUNDRA PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS

DIMENSIONS (inches)

Overall length: 228.7

Overall width: 79.9

Overall height: 76.4

Wheelbase: 145.7

TRUCK BED DIMENSIONS (inches)

Bed length 78.7

Bed width
(at wheel wells) 65.0

Bed width
(between wheel wells): 50.0

Bed width
(wall-to-wall): 65.0

Bed depth: 22.3

09 Honda Accord EX-L V6

crv16

09 Honda Accord EX-L V6

TBR

"Buyers of the new Tundra will have a choice of three engines. In addition to the new 5.7-liter V8, the capable 4.0-liter V6 and the legendary 4.7-liter i-Force V8, both also built in Alabama, will be available."

Legendary my ass, the Chevrolet small block is legendary, an engine that hasn't even been around for ten years certainly isn't. Also, does anyone know if the 5.7 will be OHV or OHC?

Moving on, I was afraid it wouldn't look as good as a 4wd model, and it seems as if I was right. The interior is also a little odd. Nevertheless, I will definitely be showing these pics to my dad, hopefully he will be more impressed than I am.

Also, they had better offer a column shifter or they will never get people like my dad.

crv16

QuoteAlso, they had better offer a column shifter or they will never get people like my dad.
Why is a column shifter so important?
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6

TBR

Because some people simply prefer a column shifter and the bench seat that normally comes with one (that is my dad's big deal).

crv16

I bet they'll have a column shifter on regular cab models.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6

TBR

Looked at the additional pictures. The cabin looks very large and fairly comfortable, even for 5 people (the extended cab), but this steering wheel just looks plain retarded:

No cost cutting there :rolleyes:

TBR

QuoteI bet they'll have a column shifter on regular cab models.
They should offer it with at least the extended cabs as well.

SVT666

Really nice looking truck.  I have two complaints and that's it.  The wheel/tire combo looks small and out of proportion with the size of the truck, and the center stack is strange.  The stereo and climate controls are closer to the passenger then the driver.  Other then that, I like it.

crv16

I find it interesting they chose to make a "5.7" liter engine.  Same displacement as the classic Chevy 350 & Ford 351, and now the Dodge hemi.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it seems that Toyota purposely chose a matching displacement number.  
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Colonel Cadillac

Does anyone find the cockpit geared towards the passenger? It looks almost hard to reach the radio and HVAC controls while driving.  

TBR

QuoteI find it interesting they chose to make a "5.7" liter engine.  Same displacement as the classic Chevy 350 & Ford 351, and now the Dodge hemi.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it seems that Toyota purposely chose a matching displacement number.
Actually, the Ford 351 was a 5.8l and the Chevy 5.7l that was used in the Camaro/Firebird/Vette was a 346, not a 350 (I believe the previous gen of GM trucks used the 350, but I am not sure). But, I think there probably is some strategy to it, however, I think it probably has more to do with the 5.6l displacement of the Titan's Endurance V8 than the 5.7l displacement of the Hemi.

Catman

The steering wheel looks fine to me.  I like the truck but I'm a little confused about configurations.  Is the one shown an access cab or a double cab?  I like how the rear door is kind of hidden.  After seeing some of the spy pics I guess there is a "mega cab" coming out too.

TBR

The blank panel on the right side just looks so cheap imho. I suppose buttons for a nav system or something go there, but for a non-nav equipped truck they should just make the other buttons bigger and put them on both sides. Well, it shouldn't really matter to us if I do manage to talk my dad into buying a new truck this fall as we wouldn't get a model with any buttons (Toyota uses a stalk to the side for the cruise, right?)

JYODER240

I have mixed feelings with this. I like the overall shape but there are a few design details that dont seem to go well with it. Regardless of how good, or not good this truck turns out to be. It will still bet outsold by Dodge, Chevy/GMC, and Ford by at least 5:1.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Catman

QuoteThe blank panel on the right side just looks so cheap imho. I suppose buttons for a nav system or something go there, but for a non-nav equipped truck they should just make the other buttons bigger and put them on both sides. Well, it shouldn't really matter to us if I do manage to talk my dad into buying a new truck this fall as we wouldn't get a model with any buttons (Toyota uses a stalk to the side for the cruise, right?)
Correct.

TBR

Good, I prefer that set-up anyway, it is requires less stretching, particularly with larger steering wheels (like a truck would have).

SVT666

QuoteThe steering wheel looks fine to me.  I like the truck but I'm a little confused about configurations.  Is the one shown an access cab or a double cab?  I like how the rear door is kind of hidden.  After seeing some of the spy pics I guess there is a "mega cab" coming out too.
It's a double cab.  If you look closely you can see a body coloured door handle at the back of the cab for the back door.

Tom

No diesel, too bad.

The side profile reminds me of an old Ram.

SVT666

It looks like the back seat is as tight or even tighter then the back seat of my Ram.  Scroll down halfway through all the pictures.

AutoBlog

Tom

Eh, you never know how far back the driver's seat is.

Gimme a break...

Catman

QuoteThe steering wheel looks fine to me.  I like the truck but I'm a little confused about configurations.  Is the one shown an access cab or a double cab?  I like how the rear door is kind of hidden.  After seeing some of the spy pics I guess there is a "mega cab" coming out too.
It's a double cab.  If you look closely you can see a body coloured door handle at the back of the cab for the back door.
I think this is going to be replacing the access cab.  there should be a regular cab and a mega cab too.

TBR

QuoteThe steering wheel looks fine to me.  I like the truck but I'm a little confused about configurations.  Is the one shown an access cab or a double cab?  I like how the rear door is kind of hidden.  After seeing some of the spy pics I guess there is a "mega cab" coming out too.
Sort of and sort of not, It looks like they are switching to Dodge's strategy of not offering a traditional extended cab but I am sure we will see a cab the size of a traditional crew cab eventually (or bigger, ie Mega Cab).

ifcar

QuoteLooked at the additional pictures. The cabin looks very large and fairly comfortable, even for 5 people (the extended cab), but this steering wheel just looks plain retarded:

No cost cutting there :rolleyes:
Most cars with available but not standard steering wheel controls have blank spaces, this was just a particularly unfortunate shape.

I think it looks good except for the silverly trim on only the left side of the center stack.  

TBR

I wouldn't have a problem with blank space if the sides were pretty much reflection images of each other, but it just looks goofy like that.

ifcar

QuoteI wouldn't have a problem with blank space if the sides were pretty much reflection images of each other, but it just looks goofy like that.
It looks symmetrical to me.  

TBR

Are you blind! There is a huge blank spot on the right side that isn't there on the left.

Catman

Here's my thoughts.  I think this is a huge, solid effort by Toyota to really get on the map in the full-size truck market.  One negative which may or may not prove to be a problem is that not everyone disliked the old Tundra's size.  While the DC is really long the access cab has been the perfect size for many.  The Tacoma has grown in size so it may fill some of the void.

First, this truck is big.  No one should whine about it not being a full-size truck.  Obviously, there is a standard cab and a crew cab coming and it looks like at least two bed sizes though it's still up in the air which beds are available with which cab.  Hopefully short and long beds are available with every cab size.  No complaints here..........yet. ;)

Styling.  Looks really muscular from some angles and a little bloated from others.  Overall it's clean and looks a bit menacing from the front which is good in this segment.  Not sure about the side profile but most trucks in this configuration look a little weird.  I'll say this.....bigger tires would do wonders for the overall proportion.  Can someone say "TRD". :praise:

Inside.  Not bad.  Certainly as good, or better than the competition.  I find the silver treatment somewhat odd, especially how it tapers down into the center console.  But, like the outside, nothing terrible.  Also, the gauges look good but I would prefer an open gauge cluster not the separate set up we see here.  The HVAC looks like a reach there too.

Spec.  Nothing to knock here.  4.0L V6 will be fine for the standard cab truck.  The 4.7L is a fine engine which will no doubt be refined even further and hopefully benefit from an increase in MPG.  The 5.7L should be the answer for towing in work.

Work.  Hopefully, Toyota will offer stripper models because that's what many commercial buyers want.

I think Nissan should worry the most because at this point they probably have the most to loose.

Catman

QuoteI wouldn't have a problem with blank space if the sides were pretty much reflection images of each other, but it just looks goofy like that.
Eh, not that big a deal.