2007 Tundra

Started by crv16, February 09, 2006, 09:20:44 AM

TBR

QuoteHere's my thoughts.  I think this is a huge, solid effort by Toyota to really get on the map in the full-size truck market.  One negative which may or may not prove to be a problem is that not everyone disliked the old Tundra's size.  While the DC is really long the access cab has been the perfect size for many.  The Tacoma has grown in size so it may fill some of the void.

First, this truck is big.  No one should whine about it not being a full-size truck.  Obviously, there is a standard cab and a crew cab coming and it looks like at least two bed sizes though it's still up in the air which beds are available with which cab.  Hopefully short and long beds are available with every cab size.  No complaints here..........yet. ;)

Styling.  Looks really muscular from some angles and a little bloated from others.  Overall it's clean and looks a bit menacing from the front which is good in this segment.  Not sure about the side profile but most trucks in this configuration look a little weird.  I'll say this.....bigger tires would do wonders for the overall proportion.  Can someone say "TRD". :praise:

Inside.  Not bad.  Certainly as good, or better than the competition.  I find the silver treatment somewhat odd, especially how it tapers down into the center console.  But, like the outside, nothing terrible.  Also, the gauges look good but I would prefer an open gauge cluster not the separate set up we see here.  The HVAC looks like a reach there too.

Spec.  Nothing to knock here.  4.0L V6 will be fine for the standard cab truck.  The 4.7L is a fine engine which will no doubt be refined even further and hopefully benefit from an increase in MPG.  The 5.7L should be the answer for towing in work.

Work.  Hopefully, Toyota will offer stripper models because that's what many commercial buyers want.

I think Nissan should worry the most because at this point they probably have the most to loose.
As you touched on, the Tacoma should easily fill the void left by the old Tundra, especially if they offer it with the 4.7l.

TBR

QuoteI wouldn't have a problem with blank space if the sides were pretty much reflection images of each other, but it just looks goofy like that.
Eh, not that big a deal.
You're right, it isn't a big deal. But, Toyota got where it is today because they paid attention to the details (maybe too much).

Catman

QuoteI wouldn't have a problem with blank space if the sides were pretty much reflection images of each other, but it just looks goofy like that.
Eh, not that big a deal.
You're right, it isn't a big deal. But, Toyota got where it is today because they paid attention to the details (maybe too much).
It just looks out of proportion because the buttons are only on one side.  The actual shape was kept consistent.  It's a little weird on the eyes but I don't think it would distract me for long.

Good point on the 4.7L for the Tacoma.  I suspect they were waiting to do this when the new Tundra came out.  It is, after all, a drop in solution.

TBR

So then the Tacoma is based on the 4runner? I couldn't remember.

And, I see that the shape is consistent, I just think it looks bad to have 8 (or possibly 10, I am not sure) buttons on one side and one on the other.

ifcar

QuoteAre you blind! There is a huge blank spot on the right side that isn't there on the left.
The steering wheel is symmetrical, just only one side has that button. As I said, dead buttons are not uncommon, this one is just a particularly obvious shape.  

ifcar

QuoteSo then the Tacoma is based on the 4runner? I couldn't remember.
And the GX470 and FJ Cruiser, right.  

TBR

QuoteAre you blind! There is a huge blank spot on the right side that isn't there on the left.
The steering wheel is symmetrical, just only one side has that button. As I said, dead buttons are not uncommon, this one is just a particularly obvious shape.
Thank you, I didn't realize that :rolleyes: .

As I have stated at least once, I have no problem with dead space, if it is symmetrical (at least if it is in such an obvious place). That is not the case here.

TBR

QuoteSo then the Tacoma is based on the 4runner? I couldn't remember.
And the GX470 and FJ Cruiser, right.
I know the GX470, 4runner, and FJ Cruiser share a platform, I don't know for sure if the Tacoma shares one with them. Though, chances are Toyota uses a modular engine mounting system anyway (like Ford does) so as long  as there is enough physical room it shouldn't matter.

ifcar

Thank you, I didn't realize that :rolleyes: .

As I have stated at least once, I have no problem with dead space, if it is symmetrical (at least if it is in such an obvious place). That is not the case here.
How would you make it symmetrical when there's a large button on the steering wheel that only needs to be on one side?

TBR

By moving some of the buttons from the other side to the mostly blank side. I didn't realize this was so complicated :D

ifcar

Because it makes more sense to put the buttons in different places?

I am generally content with ergonomic over stylistic benefits.

TBR

It really depends on what the buttons are. But I still think it is probably just cost-cutting.  

SVT666

QuoteI think Nissan should worry the most because at this point they probably have the most to loose.
I agree.  Nissan will feel it the most.  I like this truck.  I think the center stack needs to be reworked mildly to move the stereo and climate controls closer to the driver, but other then that and the small tires, there's not much wrong with this truck.  I think this new Tundra will be a big success for Toyota and, unlike Honda, they did it right.

TBR

I agree with both of you there, and as most of you know I am a big Titan fan. Most domestic buyers are just to brand loyal to stray from GMC/Chevrolet, Ford, or Dodge.

so cal cookie

It's OK.  There's no doubt it will sell.
The overall shape is pretty good, and most details are good, but I think they missed with some general things.  The slope of the hood for one.

And I dont think it is any accident that the top V8 is a 5.7.  Now lets see some power numbers. :rockon:  

Catman

Edmunds

Chicago Show: 2007 Toyota Tundra Debuts With 5.7-Liter V8

Date posted: 02-09-2006

CHICAGO ? Toyota played it straight with the introduction of the next-generation 2007 Toyota Tundra. No goofy skits. No stale jokes by blue suited executives. Just one huge truck that Toyota president Jim Press called "the biggest, boldest, bad-ass truck in Toyota history."

Toyota didn't give horsepower or torque numbers for the new 5.7-liter V8, but the engine will use a six-speed automatic and give the Tundra a maximum tow rating of over 10,000 pounds. A 4.7-liter V8 and 4.0-liter V6 will also be available.

There will be three different body styles. The four-door truck in the pictures is called a double cab but it will replace the current Tundra access cab in the lineup. An even larger crew cab will be introduced later. There will also be three different bed lengths and three trim levels for a total of 30 different styles. Sales will begin in January of 2007.

What this means to you: Wonder what that horsepower rating is? Let's have it, already! A top number there and this might be a true threat to American dominance in this segment.

so cal cookie

Is there any particular reason Toyota showed the truck 11 months before sales start?
They're among the last people I'd expect to show a car almost a year before it hits showrooms.

TBR

That is unusual for Toyota, it sounds like something GM would do.

thewizard16

QuoteIs there any particular reason Toyota showed the truck 11 months before sales start?
They're among the last people I'd expect to show a car almost a year before it hits showrooms.
It is unusual, it's also ugly from every stylistic viewpoint I can see pictured.  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

BENZ BOY15

Looks alot better from that angle. Will a Nav be offered?

BENZ BOY15

As for the non-button issue on the steering wheel, don't kid yourself TBR...BMW & Benz do it to. Check the 5 series out, and the row of buttons (or blank plastic plates, there to remind you that you weren't man enough to throw down the extra cash for whatever) at the bottom of the dash.  

TBR

Let me repeat for the jillionth time, I have no problem blank button plates, I just think they are very poorly place in this application which is surprising considering  how much attention Toyota normally pays to the details.

Catman

QuoteAs for the non-button issue on the steering wheel, don't kid yourself TBR...BMW & Benz do it to. Check the 5 series out, and the row of buttons (or blank plastic plates, there to remind you that you weren't man enough to throw down the extra cash for whatever) at the bottom of the dash.
Ha, I guess they want to rimd you just what a cheap bastard you really are. :P  

ifcar

"Will a Nav be offered?"

I don't see why not, doesn't even the current Tundra offer one?

BENZ BOY15

Quote"Will a Nav be offered?"

I don't see why not, doesn't even the current Tundra offer one?
I checked Toyota's website, and they do offer one. It just struck me as odd that they didn't include the nav on the introduction. I would think that an offical introduction would showcase the car/truck with all the options and toys.

thewizard16

QuoteLet me repeat for the jillionth time, I have no problem blank button plates, I just think they are very poorly place in this application which is surprising considering  how much attention Toyota normally pays to the details.
I agree, and I was serious when in my comments list on the Saint Louis Auto show when I said it looked like Toyota was getting a little careless. At least the new Lexuses were still done right (though I don't care for their new interior styles a whole lot).  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

so cal cookie

The Sienna has similar blank buttons on the steering wheel.  There's also a few blank buttons on the dash.  Both the Silverado and Sienna have weak door panels.  
So the question begs, could Toyota be at the beginning stages of their journey down the path that GM decided to take  years ago, or will they learn from GM's mistakes? :ph34r:  

Catman

Dodge needs to build a full-size truck. :P

Tundra  Double Cab

Wheelbase    145.7
Length          228.7
Width           79.9

Dodge Ram Quad Cab SWB

Wheelbase    140.5
Length          227.7
Width           79.6

TBR

QuoteHere's a good read.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/autoshows/...yota/page1.html
Just printed that off to show to my dad.