Got an EV6

Started by Laconian, September 24, 2022, 12:05:09 PM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on February 20, 2023, 01:47:20 PM
I think I'm going to get a Garmin dash cam mini 2.  No screen, very simple.  It has an app, but it all works via microSD too, so it should be fine.

I'm looking at the Garmin dash cam 57. I think I like having the screen vs. using an app.
I'll have to do a bit more comparison shopping between Garmin, Viofo, Vantrue, etc. Mine is a Campark, I think. Not on Amazon anymore, they were purged a couple of years ago along with some other brands.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

I want a camera to be a set and forget kind of affair so a screen seems superfluous.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

VIOFO A139 PRO looks nice. Expensive (same as the Garmin 57), but I think it has the best image sensor on the market.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on February 21, 2023, 04:24:36 PM
I want a camera to be a set and forget kind of affair so a screen seems superfluous.

Same.  I just want to pull video from it if there's a crash or someone does something stupid.

Why are they still using micro USB for power?  :wtf:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Here's an acceleration clip with organic, unadulterated motor noise:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w7dUWiPxm1ZwdgFD9

CaminoRacer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 21, 2023, 04:28:50 PM
VIOFO A139 PRO looks nice. Expensive (same as the Garmin 57), but I think it has the best image sensor on the market.

I just got one delivered. It uses USB C!

Laconian

I get the same overall efficiency whether I waft in ECO mode or drive like a prick in SPORT. Always 3.0mi/kWh. This is pretty great, it's basically big power for free. My Infiniti punished me whenever I drove with a lead foot.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on March 01, 2023, 06:34:00 PM
I get the same overall efficiency whether I waft in ECO mode or drive like a prick in SPORT. Always 3.0mi/kWh. This is pretty great, it's basically big power for free. My Infiniti punished me whenever I drove with a lead foot.

So...what's the point of it even having an ECO mode if it doesn't do anything.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 01, 2023, 07:12:31 PM
So...what's the point of it even having an ECO mode if it doesn't do anything.

It makes the tree huggers feel all warm and fuzzy
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Probably used to eke out a couple dozen extra miles on a long road trip. But in my stop and go suburban hell it makes no difference.

afty

Makes sense, right? Electric motors have the same efficiency no matter how hard you push them. Feels good man.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: afty on March 01, 2023, 11:00:07 PM
Makes sense, right? Electric motors have the same efficiency no matter how hard you push them. Feels good man.

Yeah, although if you floor it all the time you'll spend more time at higher mph, which needs more kW to sustain. But the total kWh needed to accelerate up to that speed is about the same whether you floor it or take it easy.

GoCougs

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 02, 2023, 09:19:24 AM
Yeah, although if you floor it all the time you'll spend more time at higher mph, which needs more kw to sustain. But the total kw needed to accelerate up to that speed is about the same whether you floor it or take it easy.

Yes, higher mph = more kW but point of correction: more acceleration = more kW.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on March 02, 2023, 04:16:51 PM
point of correction: more acceleration = more kW.

The second part of my previous post should really say the total kWh instead of kW. If you're accelerating to the same speed, it seems like the total kWh used isn't that much more for faster acceleration. You're using a lot more kW but for less time. Say, 40 kW for a 2-3 seconds instead of 20 kW for 4-6 seconds. It'd be an interesting experiment with the right precise measurement tools.

GoCougs

Actually, the hotter an electric motors gets the less efficient it becomes (as a conductor (motor winding(s)) heats up, resistance increases, and power is lost as heat = efficiency loss).

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on March 02, 2023, 04:38:03 PM
Actually, the hotter an electric motors gets the less efficient it becomes (as a conductor (motor winding(s)) heats up, resistance increases, and power is lost as heat = efficiency loss).
Guessing that heat is used elsewhere when appropriate.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Quote from: GoCougs on March 02, 2023, 04:38:03 PM

Eh, a few seconds of heavy load isn't going to really move the needle.

Laconian

CaminoRacer

Morris Minor

Nicely composed shot - it's good to get light like that. Hope you don't mind tweaked it a bit.

Eye of the Tiger

It looks like it came from the water.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

This is like saying that the rear differential in my truck has the same efficiency at transmitting power no matter what. It's essentially true, barring extreme circumstances. It's simply a cog in the wheel.

Batteries, on the other hand....the ICE of EVs....are terribly sensitive to load and temperature and their "efficiency" varies greatly. Just like ICE's, they have an optimal operating range when it comes to load and/or temperature. Just like an ICE, EV batteries have coolant systems to either warm or cool them, which saps energy from the very source, just like the serpentine belt of an ICE.

Laconian

Batteries perform better as they get warmer up to a point, so maybe the occasional zip up an onramp is MORE efficient?

Morris Minor

I saw Marcus Brownlee's review: he loved it - most performance fun you can have for the money. He was not so keen on the range.
https://youtu.be/gDD0H4aE5u0

Laconian

He's correct that the GT trades some practicality for maximum fun, but I don't think Marcus gives Kia enough credit for delivering a ~600hp electric supercar with an air suspension at less than half the cost of a Taycan. That's a feat that really needs more enthusiasm and the tradeoffs (e.g. manual seats) need to be considered in that context. He lists a number of other EVs as more practical alternatives with greater range, but Kia also makes one - it's called the EV6 in literally every other trim. :lol:

A few other nits. Kia probably should've given Marcus a better tour of the car's features before handing over the keys.
* The spoiler is not exclusive to the GT, it's present in all models and it's actually built as an aerodynamic rear windshield wiper. In addition to providing downforce, it (supposedly) ducts wind along the glass and blows off standing water.
* @3:30 WTF? You don't have to go into the car to open the charge port. Just give the panel a solid push and it will pop open automatically on its own.
* What's this anecdote about the car not being built from the ground up to be electric? That's.. completely not true. The small "frunk" is due the hood being short and very low. For the most part you can't even see the trunk from the driving position - only the road ahead. It is a bit like the sedans during cab-forward mania of the mid 90's.

Laconian

I do not understand the wireless keyfob logic on the EV6.

Sometimes it unlocks when you approach. Sometimes it doesn't! No way of knowing in advance. Sometimes it opens the tailgate when you stand behind the car. Sometimes it doesn't! It's not really a convenience if you can't count on it. Sometimes it locks the car when you leave, sometimes it doesn't! I have to press the lock button on the fob every time to be sure. The car is thoughtfully designed and incredibly complex but it is very bizarre how they flubbed the edge cases for something as basic as keyless entry logic.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on March 15, 2023, 10:34:32 AM
I do not understand the wireless keyfob logic on the EV6.

Sometimes it unlocks when you approach. Sometimes it doesn't! No way of knowing in advance. Sometimes it opens the tailgate when you stand behind the car. Sometimes it doesn't! It's not really a convenience if you can't count on it. Sometimes it locks the car when you leave, sometimes it doesn't! I have to press the lock button on the fob every time to be sure. The car is thoughtfully designed and incredibly complex but it is very bizarre how they flubbed the edge cases for something as basic as keyless entry logic.

Sounds annoying, as is the case with any sort of feature that you can't 100% rely on working.

Maybe down the road it will become a known issue and they can fix it with an OTA update or something.

I've experienced similar things on many vehicles that I've worked on.  Most notably, vehicles that have the "wave your foot under the rear bumper to open the tailgate because your hands are full and you can't be bothered to put something down for two seconds" feature.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Could be standing there waving your foot around for 10 seconds when you could've just put a bag down and pushed a button on your key fob.

Morris Minor

It's very early days in the model cycle so bugs there be. Sounds like a fix they can roll into an OTA update.

Laconian

I have no idea how to file a bug report with Hyundai Motor Corp, but I totally would if I could. Send some vehicle telemetry, I don't care.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on March 15, 2023, 11:38:19 AM
I have no idea how to file a bug report with Hyundai Motor Corp, but I totally would if I could. Send some vehicle telemetry, I don't care.

Try their online chat?
Otherwise complain to dealership- enough people do the same and it becomes a thing. One-offs they don't care about.
(At least according to the Ford folks)
Will