Got an EV6

Started by Laconian, September 24, 2022, 12:05:09 PM

Laconian

What about making them into IRL Mario Kart courses?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on April 12, 2023, 12:01:01 PM
What about making them into IRL Mario Kart courses?

Yes
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 12, 2023, 11:54:57 AM
I suspect the effort of converting them from commercial building code to residential building codes would be cost prohibitive. Probably cheaper to tear it down and build new from scratch.

Waste a perfectly good building because laws. Ugh. Aren't commercial codes better than residential, anyway? Just cut some windows out or something.

CaminoRacer

5 over 1s are cheap, probably preferred by renters over a mall apartment too
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

"Luxury apartments" with paper thin walls, hiss.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on April 12, 2023, 12:36:39 PM
"Luxury apartments" with paper thin walls, hiss.

Used mattresses

r0tor

Indoor go-kart tracks
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

One of the new warehouses next to my work's new building is supposed to be a go kart track. I might have to get a membership if it's good. We have a Top Golf just down the road too

r0tor

I miss karting... But sim racing is just too convenient
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Spring has finally kicked in here and we are just now getting temps above 60. Hooray. The EV6 is now off of the electrical equivalent of winter gas and is posting much better efficiency numbers.

I observed 3.8-4 mi/kWh on a 35 mile trip and that was while driving around 65-70mph with plenty of acceleration shenanigans. That is up from 3mi/kWh I got at <50deg temps. Pretty darn good!

afty

Does the EV6 have a heat pump?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on April 23, 2023, 12:05:27 AMSpring has finally kicked in here and we are just now getting temps above 60. Hooray. The EV6 is now off of the electrical equivalent of winter gas and is posting much better efficiency numbers.

I observed 3.8-4 mi/kWh on a 35 mile trip and that was while driving around 65-70mph with plenty of acceleration shenanigans. That is up from 3mi/kWh I got at <50deg temps. Pretty darn good!

Nice, that sounds similar to the Bolt. Impressive since the EV6 is larger

Morris Minor

Quote from: afty on April 23, 2023, 06:41:36 AMDoes the EV6 have a heat pump?
Yes it does. 

Random info: I believe VW/Audi recently deleted theirs, allegedly because of semiconductor shortages. But last summer there were reports that their heat pumps actually decreased range.

If I did a lot of road trips in cold weather, I'd probably keep an ICEer or PHEV in the garage.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

The car is now reliably getting 3.8mi/kWh now. I am very curious what the specific factors are that have made it more efficient. My money's on the battery temperature.

I still can't figure out the proximity lock/unlock logic on this damn car. It's so unpredictable.

Laconian

Deep flat dashboards are bad for glare, great for small pets.

You cannot view this attachment.

giant_mtb

MrH

Wow.  3.8 mi/kWh is fantastic.  I'm typically around 3.5, but most of my commute is 60-80 mph on the higway in traffic.  I can get around 3.8-4.0 if I'm puttering around town in nice weather.

I'm shocked your car is that efficient.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

IIRC higher efficiency is one of the virtues of the 800V powertrain. It is pretty nice. I can't go below 3.6 even if I accelerate hard.

MrH

Yeah, that's wild.  Usually the Bolt is the efficiency champ, because it's light, FWD, narrow, etc.

I could probably squeeze a lot more efficiency out of it if I wanted to.  But I realized the other day...why not floor it?  It'll cost me a few cents more to charge maybe, who cares :lol:  I drive it more like a GTI on terrible tires than I do hyper mileing Prius.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

afty

My lifetime efficiency in my Model 3 AWD is 260 Wh/mi (3.8 mi/kWh). I understand the RWD ones are even more efficient.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on April 28, 2023, 12:26:14 PMYeah, that's wild.  Usually the Bolt is the efficiency champ, because it's light, FWD, narrow, etc.

I could probably squeeze a lot more efficiency out of it if I wanted to.  But I realized the other day...why not floor it?  It'll cost me a few cents more to charge maybe, who cares :lol:  I drive it more like a GTI on terrible tires than I do hyper mileing Prius.

Yeah the Bolts can get 4.2-4.5 if you drive more like a grandma but that's no fun

Laconian

EV6es get built to the sounds of Jean Michel Jarre

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on May 06, 2023, 10:20:18 PM
EV6es get built to the sounds of Jean Michel Jarre

That's cool and all, but where's the tent?  This is old school manufacturing.  Real cutting edge assembly is in tents.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

I'm getting a taste of EV ownership! Apparently I have a Sword of Damocles recall hanging over my head that I need to get fixed post-haste! The DC-DC charger unit ("ICCU") can fail catastrophically due to a transient overvoltage condition in the big pack. Oops.

It took some work on the phone but I found a dealer that will do it next week. I think Kia service depts are slammed with the backlog in installing immobilizers in all their ez-to-steal cars.

I guess Teslas can OTA all the various bits and bobs around the car, but Kias are only capable of OTA-ing the infotainment system. Everything else needs to be done by dealers.

Laconian

https://www.kiaevforums.com/threads/sc271-iccu-software-upgrade-or-iccu-assembly-and-fuse-replacement.8720/

I think I have another stealership faux-TA pending which will activate the brake light while regen braking.

AutobahnSHO

Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on August 28, 2023, 05:00:01 PMhttps://www.kiaevforums.com/threads/sc271-iccu-software-upgrade-or-iccu-assembly-and-fuse-replacement.8720/

I think I have another stealership faux-TA pending which will activate the brake light while regen braking.
Manufacturers make great cars then break their customers on the wheel of dealerships.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Got my car flashed at the stealership with three software updates. It took around two and a half hours.

One of them fixes the ICCU DC-DC charger.
One of them lights up the rear brake lights on hard regen-deceleration
And the other one...?

All free of course, but still it was a pain in the butt to have to bring it in. The infotainment has all it needs to OTA itself, but not these other components. Sad!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on September 07, 2023, 05:46:09 PMGot my car flashed at the stealership with three software updates. It took around two and a half hours.

One of them fixes the ICCU DC-DC charger.
One of them lights up the rear brake lights on hard regen-deceleration
And the other one...?

All free of course, but still it was a pain in the butt to have to bring it in. The infotainment has all it needs to OTA itself, but not these other components. Sad!

They (or you) should be able to do it remotely. We have this thing called the internet.

Laconian

I complained about it to the dealer, but I imagine it fell on deaf ears. The dealer got $279 from the interaction.