Is it illegal to "bumper sticker" someones car?

Started by JWC, February 10, 2006, 11:03:21 AM

giant_mtb

QuoteHit the car as hard as possible with your fist. They'll think they hit you and freak out, and you might leave a small dent.
LMAO

JYODER240

QuoteDurrine election year 2k4, me and my not so Republican teacher got into a political argument.  She kicked me out (I was pwning her though).  Next day, guess what 4 bumper stickers she had slaped on her car?  ;)
Dont you just love how most teachers will never admit they were wrong about anything. Most are on such a power trip that they think because they are the teacher they are all-powerful and all-knowing in the classroom.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Rupert

TBR-
That's because you aren't a biker.

Practical? Who says we're talking about practicality here? You as a driver have to not hit bikers. Bikers have to do what they can to not get hit. In a passing situation, the responsibility is on you the driver to not hit the biker, no matter how impractical it is. That's how it is.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

Last I checked, bikers are supposed to follow and be shown all road courtesies and laws.

TBR

Bikers should do everything possible to avoid hindering the flow of traffic as well as protecting their own safety. If you ride right on the white line when there is a wide shoulder you are not doing that and are putting yourself at great risk. That is just plain stupid imho.

giant_mtb

QuoteBikers should do everything possible to avoid hindering the flow of traffic as well as protecting their own safety. If you ride right on the white line when there is a wide shoulder you are not doing that and are putting yourself at great risk. That is just plain stupid imho.
Oh, of course.  I fully agree.  I hate those road bikers that ride the white line when they have 4-5 feet of shoulder.  I've had many incidents (3 that I can recall) where an accident has almost been the result of them doing that.  But on the city streets where bikes aren't allowed on sidewalks or there is no sidewalk, it's more understandable for a biker to follow traffic rules, and we expect the motorists to give us the respect that the rules command.

TBR

I wholeheartedly agree with that. However, on the highway bikers just can't be considered regular vehicles by other drivers (if I saw a car driving on the shoulder I would call the police on him, I don't think a biker would appreciate me doing that to him/her) nor can be expected to follow the regulations (Chris, I know you're agree with me, but the only way I could figure out how to make a smooth transition was to use "however" :P).

SargeMonkey

I love riding my bike, oregons a good place to do it. But its not as easy here as in portland. They seem to give ya alot more room... and they have nicer paths. Plus I need a new bike, but here it takes about the same amount of time as driving if you know where to go and which routs to take.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Raza

QuoteI wholeheartedly agree with that. However, on the highway bikers just can't be considered regular vehicles by other drivers (if I saw a car driving on the shoulder I would call the police on him, I don't think a biker would appreciate me doing that to him/her) nor can be expected to follow the regulations (Chris, I know you're agree with me, but the only way I could figure out how to make a smooth transition was to use "however" :P).
Cyclists are allowed to ride on the highways in Texas?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

You know we aren't a foreign country or something, right? Of course they are.  

JWC

That varies with each state. In, California, signs on posted are freeway entrances forbidding "non-motorized" vehicles and pedestrians from the highway. In NC, bicycles and pedestrians are also not allowed except for the Chowan (Hwy17) Bridge.

NC law states the cyclists have to be to the far right of the lane and traveling with the flow of traffic. The exception is when preparing to make a left turn.  According to NC law, a bicycle is not required to use a bike lane even if one is present, because under the law, it has to follow the same rules as motor vehicles. In NC (as it was in California) it is illegal to drive on the shoulder of the road.

If you have ever ridden a bike on the shoulder of the road, you know it is unsafe because of road debris.  I only use the shoulder of the road in my car if have absolutely have to.

thewizard16

QuoteYou know we aren't a foreign country or something, right?
That depends on which Texans you talk to, some of them seem to think so. Or how far south you go.  :D  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

sparkplug

I don't understand why if you make a left hand turn, someone can still pass you. That ought to be illegal. Can anybody explain this.

JWC

I've don't understand it either and what little explanation I provided was told to me by a State Trooper. I know of two people given tickets in NC after "causing" accidents making a left turn and colliding with a car passing them on the left.

I assumed that if you were slowing/stopping and giving a left turn signal you were making a legal move.  But, evidently, you are supposed to be sure that there is no traffic coming toward or from behind you before you complete your left turn.

JYODER240

QuoteI've don't understand it either and what little explanation I provided was told to me by a State Trooper. I know of two people given tickets in NC after "causing" accidents making a left turn and colliding with a car passing them on the left.

I assumed that if you were slowing/stopping and giving a left turn signal you were making a legal move.  But, evidently, you are supposed to be sure that there is no traffic coming toward or from behind you before you complete your left turn.
I remember learning that in driving school. I dont think anyone actually thinks about that when they are making a left turn though.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TBR

QuoteThat varies with each state. In, California, signs on posted are freeway entrances forbidding "non-motorized" vehicles and pedestrians from the highway. In NC, bicycles and pedestrians are also not allowed except for the Chowan (Hwy17) Bridge.

NC law states the cyclists have to be to the far right of the lane and traveling with the flow of traffic. The exception is when preparing to make a left turn.  According to NC law, a bicycle is not required to use a bike lane even if one is present, because under the law, it has to follow the same rules as motor vehicles. In NC (as it was in California) it is illegal to drive on the shoulder of the road.

If you have ever ridden a bike on the shoulder of the road, you know it is unsafe because of road debris.  I only use the shoulder of the road in my car if have absolutely have to.
I bet it is a whole lot safer than riding right on the edge of a driving lane while going 40 miles below the speed limit and riding a vehicle that is much more difficult to see than your typical car.

JWC

QuoteThat varies with each state. In, California, signs on posted are freeway entrances forbidding "non-motorized" vehicles and pedestrians from the highway. In NC, bicycles and pedestrians are also not allowed except for the Chowan (Hwy17) Bridge.

NC law states the cyclists have to be to the far right of the lane and traveling with the flow of traffic. The exception is when preparing to make a left turn.  According to NC law, a bicycle is not required to use a bike lane even if one is present, because under the law, it has to follow the same rules as motor vehicles. In NC (as it was in California) it is illegal to drive on the shoulder of the road.

If you have ever ridden a bike on the shoulder of the road, you know it is unsafe because of road debris.  I only use the shoulder of the road in my car if have absolutely have to.
I bet it is a whole lot safer than riding right on the edge of a driving lane while going 40 miles below the speed limit and riding a vehicle that is much more difficult to see than your typical car.
Nope, if drivers of car/trucks obey the rules, it is safer to be at the right edge of the right lane and not on the shoulder.  Hit a good piece of rubber or catch a peice of glass and have a blow out and get thrown and you'll understand, especially if you are thrown into the roadway in front of traffic. They expect you to remain on the shoulder, not suddenly flying into the lane. If you are in the lane, they are aware of you and are preparing to allow you room.  

Unless they are someone who thinks roads are for them only and shouldn't be shared.  If you can't see a bike traveling on the road, then you can't see a road sign either and shouldn't be driving.

TBR

Whatever, I still think it is stupid to ride right on the line (especially since you should be able to see anything that can cause any damage to you or the bike).

JWC

QuoteWhatever, I still think it is stupid to ride right on the line (especially since you should be able to see anything that can cause any damage to you or the bike).
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. The law is clear that the cyclists is in the right.  

No riding on the shoulder.

TBR

JWC

QuoteThe law doesn't matter if you're dead.
This is the kind of comment that worries me.

This is the type of driver that I encountered the other day.

TBR

I don't undertstand what you mean there. Making a minor violation is well worth it if it makes you much safer. Besides, the biker I mentioned was still riding on the shoulder, but just barely.

L. ed foote

The law does not ask you to act reasonably or intelligently, it asks you to act in compliance.
Member, Self Preservation Society

JWC

QuoteI don't undertstand what you mean there. Making a minor violation is well worth it if it makes you much safer. Besides, the biker I mentioned was still riding on the shoulder, but just barely.
It just seem to come across as abrasive when it comes to how others, besides yourself, should share the roadway. Calling riders stupid because they are following the law is slightly arrogant.  I'm sure that isn't reality; I'm sure I just took it too personally.

But, according to this post, the rider was "just barely" on the shoulder.  So it seems he was trying to avoid traffic as much as he could and still ride within the law and ride safely.  And still that wasn't enough.  

There has to be compliance and respect from both sides. In my state, if I'm on my bike and I'm approaching a on-coming vehicle that is making a left turn (crossing in front of me), I have to stop. If I were a car, I would have the right of way. If I ride weave back and forth across the lane, I can be cited for reckless driving.  Recently, a school bus driver waited until I was almost upon her before she tossed out the "stop" sign. Legally I could have been cited and fined $250 bucks. (I did stop by the way, while she just laughed, which really pissed me off).

As long as riders are subject to tickets and fines just like an automobile, then the rider has as much right to be on the road, following the guidelines set by the state, as a car's driver.

JWC

What if the rider you encountered had been riding a moped or scooter instead of a bicycle?  In this state, a moped that is limited to 25mph, doesn't require a license plate. Should he have been limited to the shoulder?  

Or, take the Th!nk that we have at the dealership. It is also limited to 25mph, though it does require a license plate and is legal on any road in NC except interstates.  

There are many street legal vehicles out there that you have to share the road with and when you are operating a motor vehicle, a scooter, or a bicycle, it falls to everyone to drive responsibly and defensively.

In my area, there are signs with an illustration of a rider and bicycle. Below this it says "Share the Road".

TBR

This road had a 55 mph speed limit, it is against federal regulations for the Th!nk to go on any road with a speed limit above 35, I believe it might be the same for scooters.

This biker was still breaking the law. He was not in a driving lane.

Run Away

Notice those who have experience on both the bike and in the car are the ones who think motorists should be more cautious and give bikers more room, while those who don't, don't.

Just an observation.

TBR

I never said that drivers shouldn't be more cautious, but bikers can also be more cautious (or at least the biker I am talking about).

JWC

QuoteThis road had a 55 mph speed limit, it is against federal regulations for the Th!nk to go on any road with a speed limit above 35, I believe it might be the same for scooters.

This biker was still breaking the law. He was not in a driving lane.

So now you are saying he wasn't in a driving lane, so he's breaking the law, but stupid because he was not completely out of the driving lane.

As I said earlier, interstates and controlled access roadways are prohibited. Primary and secondary highways, regardless of the speed limit have no such restrictions.  It is in the handbook released by the state of NC.

From DOT handbook on motor vehicles

A roadway is any part of a highway improved and maintained for vehicular travel, exclusive of the shoulder.

A "motor vehicle" is any self-propelled vehicle.

Upon all highways any vehicle proceeding at less than the legal maximum speed limit shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for thru traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the highway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn.

In North Carolina, the bicycle has the legal status of a vehicle. This means that bicyclists have full rights and responsibilities on the roadway and are subject to the regulations governing the operation of a motor vehicle. North Carolina traffic laws require bicyclists to:

Ride on the right in the same direction as other traffic
Obey all traffic signs and signals

Use hand signals to communicate intended movements

Equip their bicycles with a front lamp visible from 300 feet and a rear reflector that is visible from a distance of 200 feet when riding at night.

Nothing pisses me off more than a biker who thinks they rule the road because they think they are immune. It gives me and my fellow daily riders a bad rep and makes motorist less respectful of our presence.

TBR

I don't live in NC ;) and the regulation against souped up golf carts (ie: Th!nk) is a federal one.

Additionally, this wasn't really a controlled access highway, but it does have exits and such (but no access road ).