BOLT

Started by MrH, March 25, 2023, 03:11:41 PM

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on April 10, 2023, 07:15:28 AM
Is the Bolt the new Miata for the forum?  We've got quite a few now.

- Me
- Alex
- Mzziaz
- Heeltoe still have one or not?
- ChrisV

I only got 4 EV owners when I did this poll. I've reopened it.
Guessing but I think we have about 3 Teslas here, 4 or so Bolts and Kevin's EV6.

https://www.carspin.club/index.php?topic=36667.0
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

Level 2 charger got installed on Friday.  Excuse the tire marks from the previous owner on the wall, they used to store bikes on it.

I don't think I've been this happy with a car purchase before.  It's a hell of a product for the price.  Infotainment is hands down the best I've ever experienced.  Super cruise is fantastic.  The mother in law took it for a spin around the neighborhood yesterday and I sat in the back.  It's pretty incredible how much passenger space they squeezed into this tiny vehicle.  Huge legroom.

The only things I don't like about it is the color, both the exterior and interior.  The paint is really wild.  It's silver, but depending on the light, it's either champagne or almost a purplish hue.  I wish it was just a boring silver instead.  This is too wild.  The interior is all too light.

I wish I got the bright metallic blue and the navy blue leather.  That would have been perfect.  But if I had waited, I wouldn't have qualified for the $7500 credit.  Not worth it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Yeah, it's the deal of the century and a really fun car to boot. I guess there are dynamic m0ds like braces and sway bars, any interest in those?

What did your mother in law think? The Bolt is a contagious car. Give people test drives and then they get Bolts. Happened several times in my extended family.

Can you install a hook or a shelf for strain relief? Even though the plugs are overbuilt that is a lot of copper pulling straight down.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

I added a hook and port to clip the charger in next to it, so all the weight if off the EVSE at least.  Seems to be fine.

This was nearly a $45k car without any tax credit.  Then a $6300 price cut, followed by being credit eligible for 6 months only for another $7500 off.  Nearly $14k off what was already a decently price car.  The financials of the whole deal are pretty wild.  And now the house is CVT free :praise:

I was considering a new Prius, but that was going to be a couple thousand more at a minimum and not as well equipped.  And I wouldn't be saving as much on gas.  Seems like a no brainer for a lot of people, but it was hell trying to get one.

Here's the old Outback.  There's no way they get $32k for it.  I got close to $29k in trade in.  They're going to be lucky to break even.

https://www.steveaustins.com/inventory/used-2020-subaru-outback-limited-xt-na-suv-4s4btgnd7l3145393/
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

heelntoe

Quote from: MrH on April 10, 2023, 07:15:28 AM
Is the Bolt the new Miata for the forum?  We've got quite a few now.

- Me
- Alex
- Mzziaz
- Heeltoe still have one or not?
- ChrisV

I replaced it with a Model Y last month. Made a small profit on that sale, but I miss the nimble little Bolt!
@heelntoe

MrH

So it was rainy and 40 degrees yesterday.  Had a stressful day and long walk in the pouring rain to get to the car to go home.  I cranked the heat to near max, and drove 80 mph most of the way home.  The amount of battery I ate through was incredible :lol:  Probably got like 2 mi/kWh maybe?

Might need to change my charge limit in the winter from 80-100%

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Turn in your badge, your keys, and your STI badged vape pen. Your enthusiast credentials have been revoked.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on May 09, 2023, 03:46:46 PMTurn in your badge, your keys, and your STI badged vape pen. Your enthusiast credentials have been revoked.

I gave mine up voluntarily.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Just saw the odo on my brother's Bolt. 101,039 miles. Never had any service. Damn

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on May 09, 2023, 06:37:06 PMJust saw the odo on my brother's Bolt. 101,039 miles. Never had any service. Damn

Original brakes? Even if they've been replaced that's still pretty sweet!
Will

SJ_GTI

I would assume with regenerative brake that the actual brakes themselves are seldom used and should last a very long time (maybe the life of the vehicle?).

CaminoRacer

Yeah, my car has somewhere around 112k miles on the original brakes, I think they are still over 50% pad life. I should check sometime.

The Miata needs new front pads at 34k
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

I just changed the rear pads on my RX8 at 120k miles
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

I think my mom's Q5 has the OG brake pads and it's at like 126k. I don't get it. They get it serviced at the dealership every 10k, so I would know if the brakes were changed...has never happened. Nuts.

MrH

I typically don't touch my brakes most days.  It's really only for emergency braking.

Super cruise might use them though.  Not sure if it's capable of utilizing the full regen first prior to mechanical brakes or not.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

Even hybrids have a light touch on the brake pads. My mom's Prius has 170k miles on the original pads.

Morris Minor

So much energy wasted in braking. London Underground's deep level tubes have been heating up over the last century as usage & train frequencies have increased way beyond what was envisaged: it's unbearable down there in the summer these days.
The new trains with brake regen help a lot because there's far less heat being dumped into the tunnels and obviously, like EVs, it cuts down maintenance.

Laconian

Wasn't the Tube a place to hang out during heat waves?

Rich

which one of you bolt owners will name your car Usain
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 12, 2023, 03:01:35 PMSo much energy wasted in braking. London Underground's deep level tubes have been heating up over the last century as usage & train frequencies have increased way beyond what was envisaged: it's unbearable down there in the summer these days.
The new trains with brake regen help a lot because there's far less heat being dumped into the tunnels and obviously, like EVs, it cuts down maintenance.

Using the regen to run A/C and wifi would be great on the tube

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on May 12, 2023, 03:58:54 PMWasn't the Tube a place to hang out during heat waves?
Yes it was, London Transport had posters 90 or 100 years ago advertising the Tube as a place to cool off.

AutobahnSHO

It's funny though- ALL movement creates heat in some sort or another. We can hear the fans whirring on Mav after it's been shut off. Mostly the battery cooling system, which has to run when charging or discharging.

HAS to be better than burning gasoline though- we can make a lot of short/ low speed driving on battery only by changing driving habits. It doesn't have a huge regen capability- have to slow down earlier and gentler to get the full "100% energy" notification.

(And it's not 100% of the energy actually reclaimed, it's just 100% of the energy went into charging instead of physical braking.)
Will

MrH

Quote from: Rich on May 12, 2023, 04:17:55 PMwhich one of you bolt owners will name your car Usain

I saw the other day someone put a small Usain bolt decal above the badge :lol:  Can't find the picture now though.

I might put a tiny Usain decal on the window
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MrH

Got a big nasty crack in my windshield.  There wasn't really any visible chip to cause it though?  Swung by the Chevy dealer, and they said no warranty claim, because with a pen tip, there was the smallest of small rock chips at one point in it.

$500 deductible through my insurance later, and Safelite comes out and replaces it at my house while I'm at work yesterday.  But their whole Bosch recalibration system is down :facepalm:.  So my super cruise is not technically recalibrated yet.  I drove it today and it seems to be fine?

This would have been nearly $1200 out of pocket without using insurance.  Wild stuff.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MrH

Also, I put down a deposit for a Volvo EX30 on launch day.  It's basically Bolt size, but AWD and 422 hp and faster charging.  But made in China and no buttons.

I'm curious how resale does on the Bolt.  There are EV credits for used ones, so hopefully that keeps them artificially high.  If I can upgrade in a couple years to an EX30 that's twice as fast for $10k, seems like a win-win.  Honestly, Super Cruise and how Volvo's system will compete with it is really the make or break.  If it's substantially worse, I'll refund the deposit.

Lots of unknowns, but no harm in throwing a deposit in.  Will Volvo swap to the Tesla charging port?  How will these made in China EVs work with credit (eligible via lease, but not purchase)?  Can you lease and immediately buy it out with cash to bank the credit?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on June 21, 2023, 08:17:44 AMGot a big nasty crack in my windshield.  There wasn't really any visible chip to cause it though?  Swung by the Chevy dealer, and they said no warranty claim, because with a pen tip, there was the smallest of small rock chips at one point in it.

$500 deductible through my insurance later, and Safelite comes out and replaces it at my house while I'm at work yesterday.  But their whole Bosch recalibration system is down :facepalm:.  So my super cruise is not technically recalibrated yet.  I drove it today and it seems to be fine?

This would have been nearly $1200 out of pocket without using insurance.  Wild stuff.

Ugh I also got a rock chip in my Miata last week. Tried to fix it with a JB weld rock chip kit but I cracked it further when I pressed on the sticky foam. It will probably need to be replaced.