Cybertruck

Started by Laconian, May 06, 2023, 11:29:20 AM

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on January 04, 2024, 05:50:23 PMhttps://electrek.co/2024/01/04/tesla-cybertruck-drives-254-miles-in-highway-range-test/

46 degrees. 254 mile range. The pack is 123kWh, so we're talking 2mi/kWh or 500Wh/mi. That's far better than 800Wh/mi, but the overall range still significantly underperforms versus Rivian or even the Ford F150 Lightning.

I'm guessing they're all about the same level of turrrribulllness - and also illustrative of why EV flight is similarly a no-go for most situations.

Laconian

Not necessarily. The half-ton ICE truck template might not work well, but there is a whole world of possibilities for useful electrified utility vehicles. The Canoo and the Rivian delivery van show what's possible with some lateral thinking. The fragile American male ego might not embrace it, but there is a lot of potential for companies and governments with modest around-town needs.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on January 05, 2024, 12:12:46 PMNot necessarily. The half-ton ICE truck template might not work well, but there is a whole world of possibilities for useful electrified utility vehicles. The Canoo and the Rivian delivery van show what's possible with some lateral thinking. The fragile American male ego might not embrace it, but there is a lot of potential for companies and governments with modest around-town needs.
I remember in the '50s when milk vans were "electrified."  People didn't like a noisy I/C engine that early in the morning.  All you heard was the rattling of the milk bottles.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

That sounds idyllic.

My early mornings are punctuated with uncorked RAMs and WRXes attempting to hit vmax.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 05, 2024, 02:15:11 PMI remember in the '50s when milk vans were "electrified."  People didn't like a noisy I/C engine that early in the morning.  All you heard was the rattling of the milk bottles.

Silent Fedex/UPS trucks would be kinda nice, but also it's fun to hear my car parts about to be delivered
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on January 05, 2024, 02:21:20 PMThat sounds idyllic.

My early mornings are punctuated with uncorked RAMs and WRXes attempting to hit vmax.

Never move here. You might hear a train horn, a snowmobile rippin' 9k RPM, feel a mine blast, or, god forbid, somebody that has a slight exhaust leak warming up their car in the morning.

The horror!

You have money. Build your house better, get rid of the noise if you want to.

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 05, 2024, 02:45:46 PMNever move here. You might hear a train horn, a snowmobile rippin' 9k RPM, feel a mine blast, or, god forbid, somebody that has a slight exhaust leak warming up their car in the morning.

The horror!

You have money. Build your house better, get rid of the noise if you want to.

That would involve a pretty big move. Everything's packing in right now. GPS maps really screwed us over because they turned a fairly modest, unknown road into a major bypass route for commuters on the congested interstates.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on January 05, 2024, 03:06:21 PMThat would involve a pretty big move. Everything's packing in right now. GPS maps really screwed us over because they turned a fairly modest, unknown road into a major bypass route for commuters on the congested interstates.

You must be my next door neighbor, because that sounds exactly like my house.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

And in general cars have become noisier than 10 years ago. Cops don't issue noise violations anymore. I've read a number of local Subaru club posts where people gloat about how much more lax it is in Seattle than it is in LA.

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 05, 2024, 03:08:09 PMYou must be my next door neighbor, because that sounds exactly like my house.

I've heard of people towing Radio Flyer wagons full of old phones hooked up to Google Maps to build an illusion of traffic jams.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on January 05, 2024, 03:28:24 PMI've heard of people towing Radio Flyer wagons full of old phones hooked up to Google Maps to build an illusion of traffic jams.

Very interesting... :lol:

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on January 05, 2024, 03:28:24 PMI've heard of people towing Radio Flyer wagons full of old phones hooked up to Google Maps to build an illusion of traffic jams.

That's quite the hobby

Laconian

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 05, 2024, 02:15:11 PMI remember in the '50s when milk vans were "electrified."  People didn't like a noisy I/C engine that early in the morning.  All you heard was the rattling of the milk bottles.

All my Amazon deliveries are now via their Rivian EV vans. Very welcomed. The UPS trucks are the worst - just loud, crude (= CHEAP) junk. How they're road legal with all that racket is a scam.

Just like with forklifts, electric versions have their place. Routes can be planned around EV range, and they can be refueled in off hours without having to visit a pump.

AutobahnSHO

Wait until they start modding the electric trucks.

There are Maverick owners who complain when they put wider tires, lift them, and remove the "unsightly" air deflectors in front of the tires that mileage goes down...  :huh:  :facepalm:
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on January 05, 2024, 12:12:46 PMNot necessarily. The half-ton ICE truck template might not work well, but there is a whole world of possibilities for useful electrified utility vehicles. The Canoo and the Rivian delivery van show what's possible with some lateral thinking. The fragile American male ego might not embrace it, but there is a lot of potential for companies and governments with modest around-town needs.
Agreed, all with highly predictable local routes & usage, perfect for fleet management & intelligent charging strategies: deliveries, HVAC techs, ISPs, plumbers, electricians, pest control etc.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

r0tor

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 05, 2024, 10:47:31 AMThey need to lighten the Lightning.

With regen, weight isn't really that big of an efficiency issue.

The EV drivetrain is 90% efficient.  That means 90% of the battery goes to friction losses, aero drag, and parasitic losses from cooling/HVAC/infotainment.  There is literally not much in those areas to ever get significant efficiency gains from.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on January 05, 2024, 03:06:21 PMThat would involve a pretty big move. Everything's packing in right now. GPS maps really screwed us over because they turned a fairly modest, unknown road into a major bypass route for commuters on the congested interstates.

I can empathize with that. It's no fun when your quiet area becomes unreasonably trafficked (aka, how I feel about the entire UP :lol:).

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 06, 2024, 05:09:01 AMWait until they start modding the electric trucks.

There are Maverick owners who complain when they put wider tires, lift them, and remove the "unsightly" air deflectors in front of the tires that mileage goes down...  :huh:  :facepalm:

I wonder how much range the angry jeep eyes will lose

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 06, 2024, 06:55:30 AMAgreed, all with highly predictable local routes & usage, perfect for fleet management & intelligent charging strategies: deliveries, HVAC techs, ISPs, plumbers, electricians, pest control etc.

I think that might be overthinking it. Just some vans and some L2 chargers at Joe Blow's HVAC biz. Contractors spend most of their time parked and I'm guessing their clientele are seldom more than 30 miles apart.

r0tor

"I'm sorry sir... You and your family will have to be cold tonight because our truck ran out of battery.  Better luck tomorrow."
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on January 06, 2024, 11:35:21 AMI think that might be overthinking it. Just some vans and some L2 chargers at Joe Blow's HVAC biz. Contractors spend most of their time parked and I'm guessing their clientele are seldom more than 30 miles apart.
Good point. But a lot of the Joe Blows round here make sure someone two or three owners up the line has taken the depreciation hit, & buy old luxo-trim F150s. So not unusual to see mid-aughts-early-'10s King Ranches with dried paint for bedliners & tools of the trade piled in the back. I don't see them moving to EVs anytime soon.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

The Out of Spec Review video said that all the PR "reviews" from Camissa and the like have been on the three motor Cyberbeast trim which has never been for sale and has no pricing or release data available.

The cars which actually have been sold to people have been the two motor Foundation trim models.

Was this tiny detail communicated on ANY of the videos? Didn't they all mention that the truck they were testing was the released unit, and not the Cyberbeast? It's crazy how auto journalists have debased themselves for the Tesla hype machine.

MrH

"Journalists" can be bought for pretty cheap.

The most ridiculous part of the "Founder's Edition" isn't that it's the dual motor and not the triple motor. It's that they're forced to spend $20k for autopilot and FSD, which isn't even available for it! They're forced to buy features, which don't work as claimed on the other Tesla models to begin with. But they aren't even available on the Cybertruck.

The fraud continues to reach more and more ridiculous levels every day.

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Comes with pretty junk tires, as far as tread pattern/depth appears.  The fancy looking (eh, retarded looking) sidewall design makes the stock tires look a lot more trucky than they actually are. 

CaminoRacer

Good video showing that while the Cybertruck can beat a Porsche 911 while towing a Porsche 911 in the 1/8th mile, it can't beat it in the 1/4 mile.

Laconian

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on January 17, 2024, 01:37:26 PMThe Cybertruck is already being Osbourned. Sucks to be an early adopter.

https://www.torquenews.com/11826/elon-musk-reveals-tesla-already-working-roll-out-1st-major-cybertruck-hardware-upgrade

1800 lbs of drywall, amazing. [/s]  Mav's bed appears to be the same size and can haul 1500lbs......
Will

Laconian

The CT's stainless steel might be "bulletproof" but it is raw and unprotected. The manual recommends that you wash it ASAP if it comes into contact with any kind of staining material, e.g. resin, road debris, bird poop, etc., otherwise it will become permanently discolored.

Screencap of the manual:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Tesla-Cybertruck-wash-immediately-pedantic-cleaning-recommendations-spark-indignation.794569.0.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter