Ioniq 5 N - ICE emulation successful?

Started by Laconian, October 10, 2023, 03:05:04 PM

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on October 16, 2023, 06:57:42 AMOnly because primarily they evolved to become extra screens for your phone and health trackers.

The traditional watch industry is on a bit of an upswing over the last decade as some people are looking back and wanting things that are real again, which is a detriment to the EV movement

Yeah but I mean that the quartz watches are better, more accurate time keepers than old mechanical watches. And require less maintenance.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 16, 2023, 08:07:50 AMYeah but I mean that the quartz watches are better, more accurate time keepers than old mechanical watches. And require less maintenance.

Might be more accurate, but the look and feel of a mechanical watch movement on your wrist provokes something more than a quartz watch delivers.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

veeman

The mechanical vs quartz watch to ICE vs EV car analogy is not great. It's just OK :)

For timekeeping and other measurement (such as moon phase, stop watch, etc) purposes, quartz is far superior to mechanical. The only reason mechanical watches thrive is appreciation of the process/art of them. They're jewelry. 

ICE still has a lot of functional advantages over EV. Quartz watches, as far as I know, don't have significant less or more negative environmental impact compared with mechanical watches. You don't need rare earth metals for quartz and at the same time they're not better for the environment. Quartz requires zero upkeep other than changing the battery, which isn't a big deal or expensive to get done.  When that doesn't work, you throw the quartz watch away. EV also doesn't require as much upkeep as an ICE but if you need to change the battery, that's a really big deal and may not be feasible based on cost.

AutobahnSHO

ICE "manually piloted" cars will become just as "art" as mechanical watches right now (eventually). Cuz the dream of computer-driven cars will still march along.....
Will