Next Car(s)?

Started by Rich, November 19, 2023, 10:26:45 AM

MrH

Removing all torque converters and CVTs from your life is great
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

I've been perusing NB PRHT with slushboxes....   

Wife would be more willing to drive it, quieter on highway (top up), still get that top down joy.

But that will wait until Scrappy just can't give it any more. 17xk miles, top down windows up on the drive home today. :lol:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 05, 2024, 02:59:53 PMI've been perusing NB PRHT with slushboxes....   

Wife would be more willing to drive it, quieter on highway (top up), still get that top down joy.

But that will wait until Scrappy just can't give it any more. 17xk miles, top down windows up on the drive home today. :lol:

Ler me know before you scrap Scrappy. I have a truck with a trailer hitch and access to a shop. :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 05, 2024, 03:06:54 PMLer me know before you scrap Scrappy. I have a truck with a trailer hitch and access to a shop. :lol:

:lol:

Hopefully it will be a long time. Sometimes I fantasize about really fixing it up to be good for another 20 years- new paint and refresh suspension stuff. But the rust by the wheel wells would be EXPENSIVE.
Will

Rich

I test-drove a Corolla, Civic, Cooper, 2 series, A3, and a Prius.

The most enjoyable drive of all of them was the Prius.  That car handles crappy pavement magnificently.  Something odd, though, I don't think it can be had with dual-zone climate control.

I had a hard time believing how crappy the driveline of the A3 was.  Its suspension also left a lot to be desired.  Flinty ride just like my dad's 4th Gen Rav4 or the lady's 2017 HRV.  That A3 and the 2 series - so many menus and screens.  Horrendous.  The Civic and its nicely finished and well-damped knobs felt so good.

I'd like to test drive something small and electric, as well as a Civic Si, Integra, Corolla GR, 86, and  2006-2009 Mustang GT. 

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CALL_911

Dude GR86 vs. Civic Si all day errday. GR86 would be my pick

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

Quote from: Rich on April 07, 2024, 08:22:32 AMI test-drove a Corolla, Civic, Cooper, 2 series, A3, and a Prius. 

Real 2er or the fwd gran poupe?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rich

The RWD 2 door. It drove nice but my god the UI. I'm too old for that shit

r0tor

Quote from: Rich on April 07, 2024, 06:02:30 PMThe RWD 2 door. It drove nice but my god the UI. I'm too old for that shit

You should try a Giulia... Drives great, softly sprung so pretty comfy, and very basic infotainment
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

I have a theory that Germans are genetically & culturally incapable of doing UIs.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

I don't mind the current iDrive. But with wireless Carplay that's usually all I interact with anyway.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 09, 2024, 03:24:09 PMI have a theory that Germans are genetically & culturally incapable of doing UIs.

Occam's Razor is outlawed in Germany.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

Test drove an Integra A-Spec.  Sadly Gran Turismo 3 was not part of the deal.

Just woof.  The car felt huge.  I did the over-the-shoulder check for a lane change and trembled at the thought I was driving my dad's 2000 Impala from back in the day. 

Shifter was great.  Clutch was nice and light.  That's about all I can say for the driving experience.  The engine was nothing to write home about, and it didn't feel that fast.  Turbo lag is present.  Steering feedback was in line with everything else these days.

I'll try for a test drive of an 86, but I've recently read that it now has a column-mounted EPAS rather than the previous rack-mounted one.

r0tor

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on April 10, 2024, 05:27:09 PMGiulia Giulia Giulia

Friends don't let friends drive FCA. Unless they're leasing under warranty.

r0tor

Every enthusiast needs to own an Alfa at least once

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on April 10, 2024, 08:15:13 AMOccam's Razor is outlawed in Germany.
:lol: We had a late-aughts Mercedes CLK at one stage. It was wall-to-wall indecipherable chiclet buttons, dozens and dozens of them. Completely unusable. They've carried that tradition into the touchscreen era. 
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

hah, Half those buttons were for the keypad for the built-in phone thing. Technology! I've got a Mercedes ML that I detail once a year, it's like a 2010 and still has all the chiclet buttons. I imagine they moved past that with their next generations shortly after that...smartphones were already a thing. The keypad phone buttons right on the dash just look oddly ancient now.

Rich

Seems like the options have whittled their way down

1) keep the Miata and sell the Subaru for a Prius AWD

2) keep the Miata and sell the Subaru for a Prius Prime

3)keep the Subaru and sell the Miata for an 86 (though I haven't test driven one, they are vaporware at the moment)

cawimmer430

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 09, 2024, 03:24:09 PMI have a theory that Germans are genetically & culturally incapable of doing UIs.

UI = User Interface?

Depends on the brand. I might sound biased but the MBUX system in Mercedes' cars is user-friendly and simple to understand. The touch screen function of MBUX screens is very responsive and quick.

The same is true for modern BMWs or at least the system I experienced in the large iX SUV which I had to photograph for BMW. The menu layout is overall logical and it's easy to understand. The touch screen was very responsive with no lag.

Porsche (Taycan) user interface was confusing and drove me insane. The client left me with that car but demanded I photograph every menu of the infotainment/digital system. Took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to find and navigate through the menus.

Last but not least, not a German car, but the modern Land Rover Defender touchscreens work very well and have a very basic layout.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SJ_GTI

Whenever I see "MBUX" my mind immediately goes to V-Bucks (Fortnite currency that my nephews always want for birthdays and Christmas). So I always want to think that it is money that you can only spend on Mercedes Benz accessories.

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 17, 2024, 03:00:31 PMWhenever I see "MBUX" my mind immediately goes to V-Bucks (Fortnite currency that my nephews always want for birthdays and Christmas). So I always want to think that it is money that you can only spend on Mercedes Benz accessories.

:lol:  Glad I'm not the only one.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 17, 2024, 03:00:31 PMWhenever I see "MBUX" my mind immediately goes to V-Bucks (Fortnite currency that my nephews always want for birthdays and Christmas). So I always want to think that it is money that you can only spend on Mercedes Benz accessories.

How many Stanley Nickels for an MBUX?

MrH

Quote from: Rich on April 17, 2024, 12:14:30 PMSeems like the options have whittled their way down

3)keep the Subaru and sell the Miata for an 86 (though I haven't test driven one, they are vaporware at the moment)

I'd vote for number 1.  Better to have the bulk of your car money in your daily, not your toy.

You're more than welcome to drive my BRZ if you're ever back in Ohio for some reason.  It's fun, but I'd definitely prefer scenario 1 over 3 if it were me.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

I'd also vote for #1

Regular Prius > Prime, the wait and expense of the Prime doesn't seem worth it. Unless there's one sitting at a dealer near you for a decent price.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rich on April 17, 2024, 12:14:30 PMSeems like the options have whittled their way down

I'd definitely "want" an AWD option if I were still commuting to work up there.
Will

Rich

Quote from: MrH on April 18, 2024, 08:33:50 AMI'd vote for number 1.  Better to have the bulk of your car money in your daily, not your toy.

You're more than welcome to drive my BRZ if you're ever back in Ohio for some reason.  It's fun, but I'd definitely prefer scenario 1 over 3 if it were me.

The 86 would be the DD except for snow on the roads.  Which usually seems about 10 days a year.

The upside to the 86 is having power/fun for hilly weekend drives through New England. As well as dual zone climate control and heated seats. The Miata is pretty slow with 2 people and AC on if it's raining.

Option 3 is also a much cheaper option at the end of the day at about $26k. Option 1 is about $39k

Rich

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 18, 2024, 09:16:02 AMI'd also vote for #1

Regular Prius > Prime, the wait and expense of the Prime doesn't seem worth it. Unless there's one sitting at a dealer near you for a decent price.

Dealers are swarming with primes here. No regular Priuses on the lot. I took my test drive in a prime. The big battery gives a good torque fill on the low end

I'd still need to test drive an awd(and an 86), though.

Rich

Quote from: MrH on April 18, 2024, 08:33:50 AMI'd vote for number 1.  Better to have the bulk of your car money in your daily, not your toy.

I appreciate the offer :lol:

I also would appreciate the relaxation of the Prius in the daily grind. I can't say I'd look forward to commuting in the 86 but maybe it's not so bad with the radar cruise. An auto 86 is a back of the mind thought to make commuting better

r0tor