Next Car(s)?

Started by Rich, November 19, 2023, 10:26:45 AM

Morris Minor

I've shared my prejudice against PHEVs several times on the 'SPIN. So, yes  - regular Prii > Primes.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 17, 2024, 03:00:31 PMWhenever I see "MBUX" my mind immediately goes to V-Bucks (Fortnite currency that my nephews always want for birthdays and Christmas). So I always want to think that it is money that you can only spend on Mercedes Benz accessories.

The only video game I play is chess on my iPad and maybe SimCity 2000 in a browser when I am really bored. :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Rich

I test drove an 86, and it's out of the running.

The biggest thing is noise.  Some other things
- I think the gas pedal gives full throttle at about 50%.  Going from 50% to 100% in gear doesn't seem to make a big difference.
- The new-car nannies are annoying.  I'm sure they can be turned off, though.
- The steering seems to be a smidge more numb than the previous generation.
- The torks aren't where I want them even with .4L more displacement

Some good things 
- It sounds fantastic
- It still has super flat cornering and the unibody is so stiff.
- The interior is really nice - buttons and soft touch surfaces.  Simple and I liked it a lot.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rich

I took the lady to test drive a Model Y, and she loved it a lot more than I thought she would.  I tried out "FSD" for the first time, and it was fun.  It's a fun party trick, but babysitting is more stressful than just driving to me.  I'd test-driven a 3 a few weeks prior.

I think I will probably lease a 3.  It's between a Prius and a 3.  The Prius has a CVT and FWD and no dual-zone climate control.  I'm sure the Prius has a higher level of operations and design quality going into it, but the Tesla also has a dirt-cheap lease.  3k down and $300/month (before taxes and all).   $345/month for 12k miles/yr, which is probably what I'll do.

I'll give a call to an electrician tomorrow to get a quote for a couple of 240 outlets in the garage.   

I'll still keep the Miata. It's in the body shop getting some paint cleaned up. I'll put a clear bra on it and fluid film each year so I can drive it more in the fall and spring without worrying about rust and road crud.

MrH

Oooof.  I could send you a laundry list of horror stories getting warranty work done, getting murdered on fees when you turn it back in, etc.  But it sounds like you already made your mind up.  Sad.

Ioniq 5 & 6 are worth a look and are similarly cheap for a lease, but without as much BS.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on April 29, 2024, 09:19:36 AMIoniq 5 & 6 are worth a look and are similarly cheap for a lease, but without as much BS.

Probably depends on the dealership. Sounds like the Hyundai/Kia dealerships haven't moved up market as quickly as their cars have.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

I wouldn't buy anything that's non-NACS-native. Lots of Osborning going on.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Rich

I'll have to post a walk through video of the local Hyundai Kia dealerships here :lol:

If Tesla service sucks I'll be done with it and move on in time :huh: 

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 29, 2024, 10:18:11 AMI wouldn't buy anything that's non-NACS-native. Lots of Osborning going on.

Why?  CCS + an adapter is literally the same thing.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Quote from: Rich on April 29, 2024, 11:12:25 AMI'll have to post a walk through video of the local Hyundai Kia dealerships here :lol:

If Tesla service sucks I'll be done with it and move on in time :huh: 

It's horrendous.  If anything, Tesla has made the arguments for dealerships existing.  Tons of dealerships suck, including most Hyundai & Kia dealerships.  But there are good dealerships out there, and they're priceless when you actually have an issue.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

veeman

We've had a Kia EV6 for 2/3 of a year and have put 24 thousand miles on it. Never set foot in the dealership after the day I got it. If I wanted to rotate the tires, I'll take it to a local tire shop. I'll get new tires at around 30 thousand miles anyways as EVs tend to eat tires. I've never charged it at a public charger (fast or slow ones). I've charged it several times at family members Tesla chargers and with the Amazon bought adaptor, it works fine. If going on a long distance journey, I take one of the ICE cars we have. Even if the Kia EV6 was compatible with public Tesla superchargers with an adaptor, I wouldn't bother. I don't want to plan "fueling" on a long distance trip. Enough other things to be concerned with and don't want my car to dictate when I need to take a 20 minute or often longer break.

If you get an EV and are financing or leasing, particularly non Tesla branded EV, I'd consider gap insurance. They have horrendous depreciation. My Kia EV6 has probably lost 1/3 of value already. Even knowing that, I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. It's my favorite car.

All car mag reviews I've read of the refreshed Model 3 have given it stellar ratings as a driver. Reliability is not great.  While parts and service can take a long time, I believe Tesla will usually give out a loaner during the warranty period if your car can't be driven.

veeman

Just one other thing. The Model Y has not had the same refresh as the Model 3 yet. Tesla has actually delayed it until 2025 because when they released the refreshed Model 3, Tesla had a hard time selling the existing older Model 3 unsold inventory. They did not want to make that mistake again so they have delayed the refresh of the Model Y.

So the Model Y does not have a cush ride. Depending on one's arse, that may or may not be a problem.

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 29, 2024, 10:18:11 AMI wouldn't buy anything that's non-NACS-native. Lots of Osborning going on.

:lol:!!!  Entire supercharger team was fired today.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on April 30, 2024, 03:17:02 PM:lol:!!!  Entire supercharger team was fired today.

At this stage, what the hell kind of talent would EVER go to work for a Musk joint? Jesus.

veeman

Yeah I don't see why any of the "best and brightest" would ever want to work for him. Reward excellence by being laid off all the while he demands a 56 billion pay package. 

MrH

Equity when you have a fraud at the helm pumping the stock constantly is a hell of an incentive.  It cuts both ways though.  When it performs poorly, the compensation packages look really rough.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

AutobahnSHO

Most people just chase the money. LOTS of money? sure, that too...
Will