Sneak Peek: 2008 Jaguar XKR

Started by BMWDave, February 11, 2006, 05:47:44 PM

BMWDave

Sneak Peek: 2008 Jaguar XKR
Date posted: 02-10-2006

COVENTRY, England ? Jaguar dealers in North America will begin selling the redesigned 2007 Jaguar XK coupe and convertible this spring, but the company already is working on the high-performance R-Type variants of each model.

Prototypes of each have been spotted near Jaguar headquarters undergoing early shakedown tests. The new XKR coupe and convertible are expected to make their official debut this fall at the Paris auto show and should arrive in U.S. showrooms in spring 2007 as '08 models.

According to European sources, the next-generation XKR will be equipped with a supercharged 4.2-liter V8 delivering around 400 horsepower. It will be aimed at such European luxury performance models as the BMW M6 and the Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG.

The R-Type models differ from the standard XK-Series visually, with larger air intakes, unique grilles, louvered hoods, and flared wheel arches.

What this means to you: Anticipation is sometimes the same thing as pain. The ultimate Jaguar is still a year away from American showrooms.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

It's going to look like an XK8 with hood louvres.  This thing still won't look as good as the current model.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

That rear-3/4 view makes it look like a BMW Z4 or something...and that convertible top is ghastly from the same angle, though not so bad from that front view.  Who cares, though?  It's got 400 HP, and if you're driving it, you don't see the outside anyways.  :ph34r:  

Raza

From what I hear, they're focusing more on the coupe this time round.  The last model convertible significantly outsold the coupe, but as it's told to me, the convertible will be noticeably softer than the coupe, as the same relationship that the DB9 coupe has to the convertible.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

I think it needs more power, the M6 has 507 and the SL55 has 493 even the XLR-V has 440. Unless its significantly lighter, which I doubt, it is going to have a hard time keeping up.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

thewizard16

There's nothing that's going to make me like the new XK. It has a very handsome interior, but the exterior, especially the nose, though I don't like the taillights either, just doesn't look good. It's not an ugly car, but it's not an appropriately styled car for what it's replacing. What happened to the people that designed that?
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

TurboDan

What's with the Z4 tail?  Other than that, I like it alot.  

TBR

QuoteI think it needs more power, the M6 has 507 and the SL55 has 493 even the XLR-V has 440. Unless its significantly lighter, which I doubt, it is going to have a hard time keeping up.
The M6 and XLR-V probably weigh about 500 lbs more and the SL55 1000. It may not be quite as fast but it will be much lighter on its feet.

SJ_GTI

QuoteI think it needs more power, the M6 has 507 and the SL55 has 493 even the XLR-V has 440. Unless its significantly lighter, which I doubt, it is going to have a hard time keeping up.
The M6 and XLR-V probably weigh about 500 lbs more and the SL55 1000. It may not be quite as fast but it will be much lighter on its feet.
Eh?

The XK8 convertible weighs in at 3759 lbs and the XLR weighs 3647 lbs.

The XLR-V weighs slightly more than the base XK8 at 3810 lbs. There is no reason to suspect the XKR vert will be lighter than th XLR.

I do suspect the XK8 coupe will be lighter than the M6 though. But then you are comparing a 2-seater to a 4-seater. I think you are kidding yourself if you tink it will be "500 lbs" lighter though. The base XK8 coupe weighs 3671 lbs while the M6 weighs in at 3935. That difference will only get closer when you strap on supercharger+bigger brakes+bigger wheels+etc...

Of course the "M"Z4 Coupe will spank the XKR all over the place.  :devil:  

TBR

Sorry, I was just plain remembering wrong. And, the XK is a four seater as well.

MrH

Eh?

The XK8 convertible weighs in at 3759 lbs and the XLR weighs 3647 lbs.

The XLR-V weighs slightly more than the base XK8 at 3810 lbs. There is no reason to suspect the XKR vert will be lighter than th XLR.

I do suspect the XK8 coupe will be lighter than the M6 though. But then you are comparing a 2-seater to a 4-seater. I think you are kidding yourself if you tink it will be "500 lbs" lighter though. The base XK8 coupe weighs 3671 lbs while the M6 weighs in at 3935. That difference will only get closer when you strap on supercharger+bigger brakes+bigger wheels+etc...

Of course the "M"Z4 Coupe will spank the XKR all over the place.  :devil:
When you say XK8, do you mean the new "XK" or the old XK8?  The new one dropped the "8" in the name.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TBR

Which was an absolutely stupid move. I suppose they'll start calling the XJ8 the XJ now? :rolleyes:

SVT666

If it was called the Type-R and gave it some V-Tec stickers then it wouldn't matter how much it weighed because it would have 1000hp.  Seriously though, I do like it, but I wish it had more power.  I doubt it will break the 5 second barrier to 60 mph.

Raza

The best thing that this new model can do is pull the legs out of the old one on the used market.  That way, I can buy one in a few years and use it as a daily driver.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Personally I think you guys are nuts.

This new one is much better mechanically/technologically than the old one, and I for one think it looks alot better as well.

Its similar to the progression of the previous gen XJ to the current XJ IMHO.

thewizard16

QuotePersonally I think you guys are nuts.

This new one is much better mechanically/technologically than the old one, and I for one think it looks alot better as well.

It may be better technologically, and I definitely like the new interior better, but I don't think it looks as much like a Jaguar, or as good, as the previous.

versus

Personally, I think the old one looks better.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Fire It Up

QuoteI agree.
Me too. The new one looks more like a Ford and less like a Jaguar.  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raza

QuotePersonally I think you guys are nuts.

No, it's not!  The new XJ looks exactly like the old one.  This one looks like a Legacy and an XK, though with tacky side vents.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

IrishGuy

QuoteI agree.
Me too. The new one looks more like a Ford and less like a Jaguar.
My thoughts exactly.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

TBR

I wouldn't say that it looks like a Ford, it has a lot of Jaguar styling cues but they just don't work together too well. Plus the headlights are awful imho. I guess they had to give some reason for people to upgrade to the DB9.

Colonel Cadillac

I think it looks incredible and is good evolution. Also, from what I have read, it really is quite mechanically/technologically better than it, and some of its competitors.