2o6 gets stranded by a buggy Blazer EV

Started by Laconian, December 19, 2023, 03:49:59 PM

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on December 23, 2023, 05:36:43 PMIf the Blazer can barely go a hundred miles without BSODing then they overstated the range too :lol:

I normally would say I could care less about infotainment crashes or glitches .. but in an EV I guess that's 99% of the driving experience so....
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Quote from: 565 on December 23, 2023, 02:46:01 PMThe charging problem is exactly why my EV veteran work friend told me that for my first EV to go Tesla.  He had several Model Ss before he got a Taycan and an Ioniq 5, he now only has EVs and no ICE backup, but he has years of experience now.

I sound like a broken record but the supercharging network is wonderful, at least in the Northeast along I95 where I live and work. I drive past about 100 supercharger plugs during my 100 daily miles of driving. The Tesla app will show me how many are occupied at any time (usually 20% occupied or less). I just plug in and everything happens automatically. I've never encountered any charging issues or wait times. The Tesla will also over estimate range like the Ford, but if you put in a destination, the predicted charge at destination is dead accurate. If you drive at 85 all the time like me, it will adjust that number quickly once you hit the highway. Overall the supercharger network means I've never felt any range anxiety. I also thus don't do the always be charging mentality many EV owners have. I usually set the car to be charged when I plan to leave, this way the battery is warm from the charging process (otherwise regen is less in a cold battery).  If I get unexpectedly called into the hospital and won't have the range, I just stop at the supercharger.

There is a reason why every automaker ran into the smug embrace of Musk when he announced he is opening the Superchargers to non Teslas.  We will see how availablity is once they do, but since most EVs are Teslas anyway, the I95 corridor at least will handle the extra volume.
I have a friend who lives at one of the higher elevations in this place and he sets his charger to leave regen braking the headspace to top up to around 80% on the way down to civilization.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Submariner2

Quote from: SJ_GTI on December 20, 2023, 05:54:20 AMIts kind of crazy GM spent so much time and effort on this platform and yet it seems to be very buggy. This is something you would expect from something rushed to market.

Hasn't the Hummer EV been a non-stop series of problems for GM?
2010 G 550
2019 GLS550

afty

Quote from: 565 on December 23, 2023, 02:46:01 PMThe Tesla will also over estimate range like the Ford, but if you put in a destination, the predicted charge at destination is dead accurate. If you drive at 85 all the time like me, it will adjust that number quickly once you hit the highway.
Wanted to echo this.  Teslas have two ways of predicting range.  One is the battery gauge that is there all the time.  It's calibrated to EPA range and so it overestimates like the Lightning.  I've set mine to show percentage instead of miles because the miles prediction isn't useful.

The other is when you set a destination in the nav system.  Then you get a very accurate range estimate that takes into account current conditions, elevation on the route, wind direction, etc.  This is always within +/- 3% in my experience. 

I've done this same route from the Bay Area to LA many times in my Model 3 and have stopped at the same places mentioned in this article (Harris Ranch and Kettleman City).  Have never had a problem or had to wait for a Supercharger.  I even took pictures of the Harris Ranch Electrify America chargers when they were being installed and posted them in the EV thread.  I guess we now know how that worked out.

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on December 23, 2023, 02:25:32 PMALL EVs have issues accurately reporting range.

Not all, some manufactureres are very conservative in their range estimation for route planning.

Morris Minor

I watched a video by 'What Car?' in the UK. They took a refreshed Model 3, a BYD Seal and a VW ID.7 on a road trip. It was pretty much the same story there as it is in the US: the non-Tesla public charging is a shitshow, and the Tesla is better in terms of software and miles/kWh.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

Tesla purposely has their range estimate match the EPA rating for the first 50%, then adjusts to actual rate for the bottom 50%. Then developed a whole process on how to lie to customers about it.  You guys need to stop quoting their EPA range.

The Lightning is just more susceptible to range variation at highway speeds because it's a giant ass truck barreling through the air.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV