Looking for a new car

Started by Raza , December 24, 2023, 09:19:58 AM

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 20, 2024, 06:23:57 AMWho said Supra? Nobody? Supra.

Like the new 2 seater BMW Supra?

It sounded like he wanted a back seat.

" Four doors preferred, but two doors is okay if I can still stick someone back there for a short trip"

Back there in the Supra means the trunk.

The MKIV and earlier Supras had back seats but probably too old for what he wants.  MKIV turbo prices remain insane.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 565 on January 20, 2024, 07:47:38 AMLike the new 2 seater BMW Supra?

It sounded like he wanted a back seat.

" Four doors preferred, but two doors is okay if I can still stick someone back there for a short trip"

Back there in the Supra means the trunk.

The MKIV and earlier Supras had back seats but probably too old for what he wants.  MKIV turbo prices remain insane.

Oh? I didn't realize the new one was only a 2-seater.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: 565 on January 20, 2024, 05:25:13 AMIf you are interested in a manual RWD M3, you should at least seek out an ATS-V to test drive. Price should be around your range. It was the best handling car in that class. LF4 engine is pretty stout.  Tremec 6060 should last forever.

I have looked at them and they're on the list, but it's not really a serious consideration. The biggest issue is availability. They sold very few with a stick, so very few are available for sale, and they tend to come in at a few thousand over budget. But I have the ATS-V on a few watched searches.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

The back seats of the 1st gen 2 series is actually not bad at all.  That would be my pick, can even go AWD
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on January 23, 2024, 06:36:22 PMThe back seats of the 1st gen 2 series is actually not bad at all.  That would be my pick, can even go AWD

It's not a bad idea. I would really prefer a sedan, because how often are you going to want to shove someone back there, but the prices are good and the miles are quite lower than comparable 3 and 4 series models. As to be expected, sure, but still, worth noting. Though I do not believe you can get AWD with a manual, just for the record. Not that RWD is disqualifying, clearly.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

Civic Si is not bad looking, and not as boy racerish as the R.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on March 24, 2024, 01:02:48 PMCivic Si is not bad looking, and not as boy racerish as the R.

It is still pretty ugly—the Civic is just an awkward looking customer no matter the trim. But the performance value is pretty good. It's got basically no options, so it's out the door right at 30K, which is kind of a bargain these days. It's worth considering, for sure.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on March 26, 2024, 02:31:10 PMIt is still pretty ugly—the Civic is just an awkward looking customer no matter the trim. But the performance value is pretty good. It's got basically no options, so it's out the door right at 30K, which is kind of a bargain these days. It's worth considering, for sure.

Interesting, I think this generation of civic is pretty good looking, inside and out.  There were definitely some civic gens that were ugly, but not this one IMO.

CaminoRacer

I'm a big fan of the current Civic. Even the Type R looks more mature. I thought about an Si or Type R last summer but they were still being marked up and I wasn't playing that game.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Yeah, Honda's entire lineup is pretty good these days.  Civic Si is the best deal out there for a manual daily. A Type R for $46k isn't absolutely heinous if you can get it for MSRP.  I'd probably try like hell to stretch to $53k for the Integra Type S though.

I'd have a hard time justifying either over a GR Corolla if you're able to get it for MSRP too.  There's $5k between a GR Corolla and Type R.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on March 26, 2024, 02:43:20 PMInteresting, I think this generation of civic is pretty good looking, inside and out.  There were definitely some civic gens that were ugly, but not this one IMO.

There's something really ungainly going on in the back half of the car in the profile view. It just looks really off to me and I can't get over it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 26, 2024, 04:02:41 PMI'm a big fan of the current Civic. Even the Type R looks more mature. I thought about an Si or Type R last summer but they were still being marked up and I wasn't playing that game.

Maybe, just maybe, if the Civic Type R had a spoiler delete for that silly grab handle across the back I could overlook some of the other more overwrought details, but it's just far too much for me. I'm a stone's throw away from 40, I don't want to drive around in a full size Hot Wheels car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: MrH on March 27, 2024, 07:25:57 AMYeah, Honda's entire lineup is pretty good these days.  Civic Si is the best deal out there for a manual daily. A Type R for $46k isn't absolutely heinous if you can get it for MSRP.  I'd probably try like hell to stretch to $53k for the Integra Type S though.

I'd have a hard time justifying either over a GR Corolla if you're able to get it for MSRP too.  There's $5k between a GR Corolla and Type R.

The Integra is definitely a step in the right direction, looks-wise. The back end isn't as disproportionate to the front, but it's still far too fussy for me. What happened to clean lines and clean designs? And what is with that silly grille design? It looks like a screenshot of Asteroids just before you lose the game. Awful.

Now, if each of them were $10,000-$15,000 less, they'd look like a good value proposition compared to a Golf R or GTI, but $54K for an Integra Type S when the Golf R with AWD comes in fully loaded for under $50K with much better looks and arguably more practicality, it's hard to see why I'd look at the Civic Type R or Integra Type S.

Man, remember when the Acura TSX first came out? Now that was a good looking car at a good price with a 6 speed stick. I miss those days.

And, dear friend, if you think I'd consider a Toyota Corolla, you don't know me at all. Right or wrong of me, come on.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Also, yes, if you couldn't tell, I'm still searching.

I'm now getting bad ideas in my head, like "Hmm, I bet you can install a CarPlay head unit into an E46 M3..."

Truth be told, I'm hoping that the perfect, low mileage 2013-2016 S4 6MT will come up (preferably in white or blue, but I won't say no to silver, black, or gray) and make my decision for me.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CaminoRacer

You know you want an Ioniq 5 N
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on March 30, 2024, 10:23:46 AMMaybe, just maybe, if the Civic Type R had a spoiler delete for that silly grab handle across the back I could overlook some of the other more overwrought details, but it's just far too much for me. I'm a stone's throw away from 40, I don't want to drive around in a full size Hot Wheels car.
40 isn't that old, or another way of looking at it, it's not far off from a mid-life crisis.  In either case, the Focus RS is the ideal car, 350 bhp, 6 speed manual and it doesn't look like it was designed by an 8 year old.  A low mileage 2016-2018 can be had for mid $20s.

Take one for a test drive.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Lebowski

I think the Civic is better looking than the Integra, personally.  Integra has too much going on in the front.

Agree the TSX was a great looking car, Acuras haven't looked good in a long time.

giant_mtb

I didn't even know Acura was still here. Haven't seen an Acura in forever up here. Hondas galore, but FWD Acuras don't exist here.

CALL_911

My 340xi is still ripe for the picking....

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 31, 2024, 06:21:46 PMMy 340xi is still ripe for the picking....

It's tempting, but that's also F30 M3 money...and it's hard to not want an M3. I'm sure some Conti DWSs (or equivalent) would make it fine for the weak ass winters we have up here now.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 30, 2024, 04:53:17 PMI didn't even know Acura was still here. Haven't seen an Acura in forever up here. Hondas galore, but FWD Acuras don't exist here.

Yeah, Acura's brand management has been pretty piss poor.  Same w/ Infiniti. 

MrH

I think Acura's crossovers are really competitive :huh:.

We bought the RDX because it was significantly nicer than top trim mainstreamers, and just slightly used put it around the same price too.  It's closer to an X3 in terms of experience, but much closer to mainstreamers in price.  I think the MDX fits the same mold too.

I think they do the near lux about as well as you can.

SH-AWD + 2.0t from Accord + 10-speed auto is a great combination.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

Quote from: MrH on April 02, 2024, 08:27:21 AMI think Acura's crossovers are really competitive :huh:.

We bought the RDX because it was significantly nicer than top trim mainstreamers, and just slightly used put it around the same price too.  It's closer to an X3 in terms of experience, but much closer to mainstreamers in price.  I think the MDX fits the same mold too.

I think they do the near lux about as well as you can.

SH-AWD + 2.0t from Accord + 10-speed auto is a great combination.

The RDX/MDX are good cars, I said their branding sucks not their quality.  Even the RDX/MDX though, the styling could be a lot better.  Integra is a good car but styling is ugly IMO, while the Civic it's based on is a pretty good looking car.