Next car

Started by CALL_911, December 27, 2023, 02:31:55 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Submariner2 on December 29, 2023, 04:49:22 PMI know society frowns on stereotyping but my god I cannot shake the feeling that RAM drivers are uniformly awful.

I personally know a couple that are good drivers, otherwise I generally agree. Is it because the trucks are so depressing?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CALL_911

RAM drivers are horrible on average, up there with Charger/Challenger drivers. It's a vehicle that appeals to everyone's inner sociopath.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

With the near zero depreciation of Porsches, there is no wrong decision in buying one... Especially basically any 911 model
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 31, 2023, 02:02:12 PMRAM drivers are horrible on average, up there with Charger/Challenger drivers. It's a vehicle that appeals to everyone's inner sociopath.

Rams are indeed the worst. By far. Fords next and then GM last. Rams are also the worst trucks, esp. the 3/4- and 1-tons, which is really saying something for the segment. There's some sort of self-hating draw about the worstness of Rams.

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 29, 2023, 12:12:09 PMAs usual, you're not wrong. At all. I'll be doing an adult recon fellowship at Baylor in Houston next year.

You're 100% right in that I'm excited to be done, my wife starts as an attending this June, and we're looking at the light at the end of the tunnel. I rationalized the 981 because it would theoretically be $10-20k over what I'd be selling my 3-series (paid off) for, and because it would be fun to enjoy year-round warm weather for the first time in my life. Both my wife and I are extremely fortunate in that we don't have any debt, and I think the $20k max expenditure this car would represent is doable and not that irresponsible (but definitely a little irresponsible).

I'll try and sell my car in the next few months, and I'd be sitting on whatever the proceeds are for several months before I make any moves, so it would be some time to think on it (and hopefully let it appreciate in the market).

As for uncertainty- there is plenty of that in my situation. My wife has a job lined up at a private practice in Houston, but her fellowship (Mass eye+ear in Boston) has offered her a job which is awfully appealing (except for living in Boston and dealing with its exorbitant COL). Going back home to LI to start a family where my friends and parents are is also appealing. Boils down to staying long term in Houston vs. Boston vs. Long Island, which I'm giving my wife full say in- we go where she wants to be.

Oh nice, Joints is a great field.

You having an attending sugar mama changes things. My wife is still a resident for 1 more year (she is my age but worked for a bit prior to med school), so she's tooling around in an X3M while her attendings sliently judge her (she's in family medicine).

Letting your wife decide where she wants to be is a smart choice. I tell my residents, the majority of orthopedic surgeons live within 100 miles of their mother in law.