Tire!

Started by AutobahnSHO, May 13, 2024, 06:52:45 AM

AutobahnSHO

Not sure if wife or I did this. Safe to drive on interstate?

Flap is about 1/4in. thick.

You cannot view this attachment.
Will

CaminoRacer

Probably fine unless you hit a pothole hard. Gonna need to be replaced soon
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

I'd rather not risk dealing with flat tire on 2hr drive to catch a flight, so we'll take Odyssey this week. And yeah, these exact tires are $200. Michelin Primacy A/S with 8k miles on them.

The Primacy Tour A/S has better user reviews on tirerack, but also 3lbs and $30 more per tire. :huh:
Will

CaminoRacer

If the other tires have a lot of tread left, TireRack should be able to shave the new tire to match the tread depth and then you'd still have a perfectly matching set of 4.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 14, 2024, 09:29:36 AMIf the other tires have a lot of tread left, TireRack should be able to shave the new tire to match the tread depth and then you'd still have a perfectly matching set of 4.

That's my plan! I'll have to get a depth measure tool, shouldn't be too much.
Will

Submariner2

Same thing happened on my GLS.  Took it to Town Fair Tire and they said it shouldn't be an issue.
2010 G 550
2019 GLS550

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Submariner2 on May 15, 2024, 09:39:43 AMSame thing happened on my GLS.  Took it to Town Fair Tire and they said it shouldn't be an issue.

Said the tire is ok to drive? I haven't ordered one still.
Will

veeman

Does anyone here actually ever have a tire shaved?

Seems to me that if there is a large enough difference in the tread depth of a new tire with the existing contralateral tire on the car, you should just replace both tires. Small difference in tread depth of a few mm shouldn't matter that much I would think.

Tire Rack says new all season tires typically have a tread depth of approximately 8 mm and tires should generally be replaced when they have a tread depth of about 3 mm.

So I'm just postulating but if I got a new tire and my existing tire had 5 mm tread depth, the existing tire is more than half way to its end life anyways. If it's at 6 mm, that's only a 2 mm difference with the new tire.

Also is it a big deal if the front two tires have a difference in tread depth with the back two tires assuming none of the tires are so bald they need to be replaced.

For track duty or a sports car on summer tires, I'm sure it makes a difference. But for a mainstreamer car or SUV on all seasons which is not being raced?

MrH

Quote from: veeman on May 20, 2024, 07:16:24 AMDoes anyone here actually ever have a tire shaved?

Seems to me that if there is a large enough difference in the tread depth of a new tire with the existing contralateral tire on the car, you should just replace both tires. Small difference in tread depth of a few mm shouldn't matter that much I would think.

Tire Rack says new all season tires typically have a tread depth of approximately 8 mm and tires should generally be replaced when they have a tread depth of about 3 mm.

So I'm just postulating but if I got a new tire and my existing tire had 5 mm tread depth, the existing tire is more than half way to its end life anyways. If it's at 6 mm, that's only a 2 mm difference with the new tire.

Also is it a big deal if the front two tires have a difference in tread depth with the back two tires assuming none of the tires are so bald they need to be replaced.

For track duty or a sports car on summer tires, I'm sure it makes a difference. But for a mainstreamer car or SUV on all seasons which is not being raced?

Depends largely on the vehicle.  Some cars do not do well with tire discrepancies because of the differentials.  What vehicle are we talking about here?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

Quote from: MrH on May 20, 2024, 08:48:54 AMDepends largely on the vehicle.  Some cars do not do well with tire discrepancies because of the differentials.  What vehicle are we talking about here?

Base model FWD Hyundai Veloster and AWD Infiniti QX60. Also AWD Kia EV6 (but I haven't had to change a tire on that car yet).

I'm not sure which car Will was referring to in his original post.

giant_mtb

8mm tread depth is about when I start thinking, "damn, time for new tires before next winter." :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Well wife has been driving truck (Maverick) on the tire for more than a week, we'll probably just leave it.

I know that some transmissions (expecially AWD) don't like size differences on the tires- can create extra wear.

For now, tire is on rear anyway- no problem at all since it's FWD.
Will