Corvette Z06

Started by Shane, February 14, 2006, 09:15:10 PM

Shane

Okay - let's get straight to the point: the Corvette Z06 is one hell of a car on paper and in the flesh. Its 7.0-litre V8 - that's a 427 to American muscle car fans - produces 505bhp and a colossal 470lb/ft of torque. This, coupled with a car whose overall weight is just 1418Kg - two kilos lighter than a 911 Carrera 2S - makes for a 0-62mph time of just 3.9seconds and a top speed of 198mph.

For less than ?60k, you can play with the big boys  
That's really, really fast - the only things quicker on the road are Lambo Murceilagos and Pagani Zondas - and even then not by much. By way of comparison, the Z06 laps the hallowed Nurburgring in 7 minutes and 45 seconds - just 13 seconds shy of the Porsche Carrera GT V10. But the Carrera GT costs over ?300,000, so you would expect it to do well: this Corvette costs just ?59,850.

Yes, for less than 60 grand, you can really play with the big boys, just as Corvette did last year when they blew away the likes of Ferrari, Porsche and Aston Martin at the Le Mans 24hr endurance race.

(Channel 4 Magazine)

JYODER240

The Z06 is one heck of a bargain, whether or not it will gain acceptance overseas is another thing. By the way that is a sweet sig shane :thumbsup:  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TBR

Not a car I would buy, but I can give credit where credit is due, it is an awesome car.

thewizard16

For any sports car under $120k, the Z06 would definitely be my choice.  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Colonel Cadillac

QuoteFor any sports car under $120k, the Z06 would definitely be my choice.
Most definitely.  

TBR

I would rather have a GT3, it may not be as fast on the track but I bet it is more fun.  However, like I said, the Z06 is still an awesome car.

Raza

"Just 13 seconds shy of a Carrera GT"...13 seconds is huge!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

thewizard16

Quote"Just 13 seconds shy of a Carrera GT"...13 seconds is huge!
That's true, but when you think about it being almost 8 minutes, it could be a lot worse, and then put price into perspective, and suddenly it seems pretty good.  :rockon:  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

That's true, but when you think about it being almost 8 minutes, it could be a lot worse, and then put price into perspective, and suddenly it seems pretty good.  :rockon:
True, but that's also like saying "It's only 30 seconds faster than a standard 911!"

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

QuoteI would rather have a GT3, it may not be as fast on the track but I bet it is more fun.  However, like I said, the Z06 is still an awesome car.
Yeah ... but how much is the 997 GT3 going to be?

The ZO6 is the same price as a Cayman, comparably equipped.

TBR

QuoteI would rather have a GT3, it may not be as fast on the track but I bet it is more fun.  However, like I said, the Z06 is still an awesome car.

Under $120k for sure, I was responding to this:
"For any sports car under $120k, the Z06 would definitely be my choice."

And, I don't know about you guys but if I thought I could afford a $70k car (it'll probably cost you $85k to get one right now) I could also afford a $110,000 one.

Lebowski

QuoteI would rather have a GT3, it may not be as fast on the track but I bet it is more fun.? However, like I said, the Z06 is still an awesome car.

Under $120k for sure, I was responding to this:
"For any sports car under $120k, the Z06 would definitely be my choice."

And, I don't know about you guys but if I thought I could afford a $70k car (it'll probably cost you $85k to get one right now) I could also afford a $110,000 one.
Ahh, I didn't see the under $120k part, now it makes since.

But, if you could afford a $70k car, you'd realize what a ridiculous statement the second part of your post is.  $40k isn't chump change, and a lot of people buying $70k cars are already stretching to afford that.

TBR

But I wouldn't be, simply because I would have to be making a whole lot of money to be willing to spend $70k on a fast depreciating object like a car. Basically, I see no reason to spend more than $40k on a car unless you're loaded, as in a multi-million dollar yearly income.

Lebowski

QuoteBut I wouldn't be, simply because I would have to be making a whole lot of money to be willing to spend $70k on a fast depreciating object like a car. Basically, I see no reason to spend more than $40k on a car unless you're loaded, as in a multi-million dollar yearly income.
I have a feeling you'd change your mind real quick if you landed a job paying $200-$300k tomorrow  :lol:  

Raza

QuoteBut I wouldn't be, simply because I would have to be making a whole lot of money to be willing to spend $70k on a fast depreciating object like a car. Basically, I see no reason to spend more than $40k on a car unless you're loaded, as in a multi-million dollar yearly income.
I have a feeling you'd change your mind real quick if you landed a job paying $200-$300k tomorrow  :lol:
I'm with Le Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay here.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

That's pretty good.

Raza

That's pretty good.
Thanks.  I don't think it will catch on though.  It's quite possibly the longest nickname of all time.

B)  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

mazda6er

That's pretty good.
Thanks.  I don't think it will catch on though.  It's quite possibly the longest nickname of all time.

B)
LB2W4Y. ;) Of course, if Lincoln renames a few more models, that might be taken.  :P
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

That's pretty good.

B)
LB2W4Y. ;) Of course, if Lincoln renames a few more models, that might be taken.  :P
Haha!  Good one, Mark!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

Give it better wheels/tires, a suspension kit, few pounds off here and there.  50 more HP.  You got yourself the win...and still for less than the Carerra.

Raza

Give it better wheels/tires, a suspension kit, few pounds off here and there.  50 more HP.  You got yourself the win...and still for less than the Carerra.
So, make it a completely different car and you'll get a completely different outcome?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

So, make it a completely different car and you'll get a completely different outcome?
I agree that a horsepower boost and reducing the weight makes it a different car and is therefore irrelevant, but I wonder how much of the deficit could be made up by simply switching to non run-crap tires.

TBR

Are you sure the Z06 has run-flats? And, the latest ones are supposed to be much better.  

Lebowski

QuoteAre you sure the Z06 has run-flats? And, the latest ones are supposed to be much better.
Yeah, I double checked before posting:

Z06 Wheel and tire specs

The new generation of run-craps are supposedly much better than the older ones, but people on corvetteforum still bitch that they aren't as good for dry pavement handling as a similarly priced/high end set of non run-craps (like Michelin PS2s).