Cherokee Golden Hawk

Started by Rupert, February 15, 2006, 02:52:45 PM

Rupert

I checked out a 1983 Cherokee Golden Hawk today. What a tank! It's got the 4.0L I6 and a four-speed trans. It's cheap, like $900. Problems include some body rust, a beater interior (that currently lacks a passenger seat belt), a kinda working opening rear window (that needs to work in order to open the tailgate), and a bad brake system. We think it needs a master cylinder or one of the slaves. Those bits are in the back. The parking brake doesn't do anything and the engine compression doesn't seem to be high enough to hold the thing with it in first gear. The seller is willing to fix the brake system (within reason). How was the original compression in the I6? The seller said it wasn't very high to begin with, but I would think it could hold the truck on a hill. There seems to be plenty of power. I'd love some advice!

Thanks!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Oh, right, the good parts... It's got nice tires with enough tread left, a brush bar, the engine is probably good, barring compression problems, it's a hoot to drive, the clutch feels fine, they tell me it's got a rear LSD. I'm a bit concerned with long distance performance, but it seemed to cruise well enough at about 70. It's ugly, but I kinda like that. It's kind of borderline between a running project and a solid truck, but I think I could swing it. It's kind of the opposite of the Miata. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

TBR

I certainly wouldn't buy it for $900 if I was in your situation. If you can get him down to $500 or below, than maybe. But $900 is too much.

Rupert

I think that's a fair price. When was the last time you saw a decently running old Jeep for under a thousand?

TBR

If it was a CJ that would be one thing, but non-CJs/Wranglers aren't worth nearly as much. And, it sounds like it needs a lot of work to me, and you only have $100 to work with before you go over budget.

Rupert

I actually have $300 potential. Problem is, I can't do the work cause I don't have anywhere to do it. Lets assume the brakes get fixed before I pay $900, and let's assume the passanger seat belt gets fixed too. It would be an ugly, smelly, loud, nicely running truck. I'm not convinced either way at this point.

TBR

My concern would be the compression. You ought to PM 93JC about it.

Rupert

Yeah, if he doesn't reply to this thread by tomorrow, I'll PM him.

ifcar

If he comes online, he'll probably see the thread, and that's the only time he'd see a PM anyway unless he enabled email notification. I'd email him.  

93JC

If it's an '83, and it's stock, there's no way it has a 4.0L. The 4.0 was never put in the big SJ trucks. It didn't even come out 'til '87, and only in the XJ Cherokee, XJ Wagoneer and the Comanche. The YJ didn't get it until 1991, and Grand Cherokee didn't until '93.

It should be a 258 I6 (4.2L). Basically a 4.0 with smaller bore, longer stroke, crappy heads and a shitty single-barrel carb. Tough as nails but very low on power (we're talking ~115hp). Compression should be 120-150 psi.

BRealistic

QuoteIf it's an '83, and it's stock, there's no way it has a 4.0L. The 4.0 was never put in the big SJ trucks. It didn't even come out 'til '87, and only in the XJ Cherokee, XJ Wagoneer and the Comanche. The YJ didn't get it until 1991, and Grand Cherokee didn't until '93.

It should be a 258 I6 (4.2L). Basically a 4.0 with smaller bore, longer stroke, crappy heads and a shitty single-barrel carb. Tough as nails but very low on power (we're talking ~115hp). Compression should be 120-150 psi.
Are parts expensive for these? I remember a coworker had a 80ish Jeep truck that needed a new plastic valve cover. It was quite expensive (more than he paid for the truck) :(

Rupert

Well, it felt like a lot more than 115 hp, so I dunno. How can I tell the difference? I'll probably go look at it again in the next day or two. (And I'll check the compression then).

I've kinda decided that if I can get the truck for $450 as is, I'll just take it to a mechanic for it's problems. Seems like $750 could fix it's major flaws. If he'll fix the brakes, the passenger seat belt, and the rear window, I'll offer $750 and go no higher than $850. If  the compression is bad, I'll probably pass on the whole thing.

Oh, is that compression (120-150 psi) what it was new, or what you'd expect to see today? And if it is when new, what would be expectable today? (I've never really done anything involving compression on a car).

TBR

At $750 with no major problems this truck makes sense.

Tom

QuoteWell, it felt like a lot more than 115 hp, so I dunno. How can I tell the difference? I'll probably go look at it again in the next day or two. (And I'll check the compression then).

I've kinda decided that if I can get the truck for $450 as is, I'll just take it to a mechanic for it's problems. Seems like $750 could fix it's major flaws. If he'll fix the brakes, the passenger seat belt, and the rear window, I'll offer $750 and go no higher than $850. If  the compression is bad, I'll probably pass on the whole thing.

Oh, is that compression (120-150 psi) what it was new, or what you'd expect to see today? And if it is when new, what would be expectable today? (I've never really done anything involving compression on a car).
Good plan.   I would do that.  Also I suggest looking at F-150s.  About the only full-sized truck you can easily find manuals with.  

93JC

QuoteAre parts expensive for these? I remember a coworker had a 80ish Jeep truck that needed a new plastic valve cover. It was quite expensive (more than he paid for the truck) :(
Expensive? Egads, no! Your coworker must have paid very little for the truck or far too much for a valve cover.

Rupert

Yeah, I've not yet ruled any truck out, but I would really prefer an SUV so I can take people with me when I go use it.

93JC

QuoteWell, it felt like a lot more than 115 hp, so I dunno. How can I tell the difference? I'll probably go look at it again in the next day or two. (And I'll check the compression then).

Might have felt quite zippy because it makes well over 200lb-ft of torque (~235, which is as much as the 4.0L ever did), and the four-speed transmission has short gears.

That compression is what was expected new, and is what you expect now. If any cylinders do not fall within that range avoid this truck like bubonic plague: it's not working properly. It would need major overhauling to correct.

93JC

And I really must reiterate: stick with the Trooper.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see from the other thread you sold the Trooper. I'll leave it at this: I think that was a bad decision.

:mellow:  

Rupert

It might have been a bad idea, but so was buying a Miata, and that worked out OK ;) . Thanks for the compression advice. :lol:

Tom

QuoteYeah, I've not yet ruled any truck out, but I would really prefer an SUV so I can take people with me when I go use it.
Ext cab?  You could always seat two up front and the rest can sit in the bed if not.

Being the most sold vehicle in the last 20 years there is a huge selection out there.  They are relatively cheap to buy, and about the cheapest vehicle out there to insure(4x4 might hurt that a little).

It's hard to find SUVs with MTs, but maybe look for a Mitsubishi too.  Or an old Land Rover would be cool.

BRealistic

QuoteAre parts expensive for these? I remember a coworker had a 80ish Jeep truck that needed a new plastic valve cover. It was quite expensive (more than he paid for the truck) :(
Expensive? Egads, no! Your coworker must have paid very little for the truck or far too much for a valve cover.
He only paid $150 for the truck. ;)  

Rupert

I haven't seen any F150s with 4x4 and an ext cab. Those trucks are huge though, bigger than this Cherokee.

Laconian

QuoteI haven't seen any F150s with 4x4 and an ext cab. Those trucks are huge though, bigger than this Cherokee.
Bitch, those are MINE! Stay away!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Run Away

For the compression, I'd be more concerned about a variation in compression between cylinders. Shouldn't be more than 5%.

Rupert

Well, there is a lower limit. I mean, I'd think it would be worse if they were all exactly 70 psi than if they were 120, 135, 123, 149, 132, 144.

Rupert

QuoteI haven't seen any F150s with 4x4 and an ext cab. Those trucks are huge though, bigger than this Cherokee.
Bitch, those are MINE! Stay away!
Whatever. I'll let you have the 2WD, though.  

Run Away

QuoteWell, there is a lower limit. I mean, I'd think it would be worse if they were all exactly 70 psi than if they were 120, 135, 123, 149, 132, 144.
Both ways, I'd pass on the truck.

Rupert

Rupert

http://seattle.craigslist.org/car/134484383.html

Not the Golden Hawk, obviously. And a bit more truck than I need, but I betcha I can find a use for all that extra suspension travel (and winch). If nothing else, it's a toy I can resell for what I paid for it. It's got 260,000 miles, the I4, and a "funky carb", but it sounds like it runs well enough. I might actually get there in time to get this one on Saturday.