Saxonyron took the plunge on a new ride.

Started by saxonyron, February 18, 2006, 10:02:29 PM

saxonyron

QuoteIf ever there was doubt as to how many car interiors these days are overstyled, this Audi is the perfect example. Beautiful! Simple! Major functions easily accessed!

Excellent choice.
Thanks!  I couldn't agree more.  B)  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

QuoteI could read at 5, and I went to public school.

Beautiful car, Ron.

Can't wait to see it in person when I pick up your A6.
:lol:  Let's hear it for Public Schools!  Hell, 3rd grade was the hardest 4 years of my life!  Don't tell me they don't teach you good.  But there is a reason my wife and my mom home school my kids.  Public Schools aint quite what they used to be 25 yrs ago!

And, errrrr, Raza, I'll be issuing a restraining order against you soon.   :lol:  :lol:
You home school your children?  Are you psychotically Christian or something?  

:blink:  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

saxonyron

QuoteYou home school your children?  Are you psychotically Christian or something?  

C'mon - 5 kids, I gotta be a good Catholic.  But seriously, religion aside, I'd have 5 kids regardless.  I'm crazy like that.  

Religion isn't the only reason for home schooling.  They're getting a great education and they have a broad range of facets to their lives.  Social groups, horse club, Cub Scouts, all the requisite sports, piano and violin lessons, etc.  Admittedly, there are a fair amount of dopes doing this, but then again, there's a fair amount of dopes teaching in public schools, so it kind of evens out.  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

QuoteYou home school your children?  Are you psychotically Christian or something? 

C'mon - 5 kids, I gotta be a good Catholic.  But seriously, religion aside, I'd have 5 kids regardless.  I'm crazy like that.  

Religion isn't the only reason for home schooling.  They're getting a great education and they have a broad range of facets to their lives.  Social groups, horse club, Cub Scouts, all the requisite sports, piano and violin lessons, etc.  Admittedly, there are a fair amount of dopes doing this, but then again, there's a fair amount of dopes teaching in public schools, so it kind of evens out.
So they are getting proper social contact?  That's good, because I'd hate for all your little saxons to end up agoraphobic.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

QuoteYou home school your children?  Are you psychotically Christian or something? 

Hah, Ron, you are one lucky man to be out of the house all day.  Your wife is a saint.

Are your kids well-behaved?  

Listen Ron, why don't you just 'fess up and tell us the truth -- your kids all got expelled from school for misbehaving, because they are a chip off the old man's block.  :lol:  
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

J86

QuoteRon- the business RIGHT NEXT DOOR to that Audi dealer is my uncle's shop!  When I was little and I used to go there to play on all the equipment he's got I used to go sit in all the Porsches!  Small world
Nice!  I'll bet you didn't mind hanging out at the shop, especially when it's next to wall to wall Porsches!  I bought my car from a salesman who's been there for 29 yrs. He actually handled my '86 GT when I bought it in for service back in the late '80's - I recognized the guy!  Must be a good dealership if they have that kind of retention.
Haha the shop was there back then too...you're right I always had (and still do have) a blast going over there.  Hell I gotta go visit them over spring break.  So they couldn't con you into a Porsche huh?  There'd be about as much room in the back of a 911 as in your Audi judging by the way your seat is set...

saxonyron

QuoteHah, Ron, you are one lucky man to be out of the house all day.  Your wife is a saint.

Listen Ron, why don't you just 'fess up and tell us the truth -- your kids all got expelled from school for misbehaving, because they are a chip off the old man's block.  :lol:
:lol:

Amazingly, they're well behaved - for the most part  :lol:   At least I like to think so!  (Catman did meet them, so he may have another viewpoint!)  My wife does have her work cut out for her, but actually my Mom does about 2/3 of the teaching, with my Dad doing science and geography (Civil Engineer).  The curriculum is pretty cool - DVD based algebra, video based english, a lot of one on one, book club with a bunch of nearby homeschool groups, etc.  I'm hoping to hold off on their true bad behavior till College at least.  Although my 2 sons do have a frighteningly familiar fondness for beer - they've perfected pouring pilsners for me with a fine pointy head - just like Dad.  (No, I don't have a pointy head  - the beer does!)  :rockon:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

QuoteHah, Ron, you are one lucky man to be out of the house all day.  Your wife is a saint.

Listen Ron, why don't you just 'fess up and tell us the truth -- your kids all got expelled from school for misbehaving, because they are a chip off the old man's block.  :lol:
:lol:

Amazingly, they're well behaved - for the most part  :lol:   At least I like to think so!  (Catman did meet them, so he may have another viewpoint!)  My wife does have her work cut out for her, but actually my Mom does about 2/3 of the teaching, with my Dad doing science and geography (Civil Engineer).  The curriculum is pretty cool - DVD based algebra, video based english, a lot of one on one, book club with a bunch of nearby homeschool groups, etc.  I'm hoping to hold off on their true bad behavior till College at least.  Although my 2 sons do have a frighteningly familiar fondness for beer - they've perfected pouring pilsners for me with a fine pointy head - just like Dad.  (No, I don't have a pointy head  - the beer does!)  :rockon:
Interesting.  I never knew that you and your wife were homeschooling your kids.

I have a friend who's homeschooling his daughter.  They live in a bad school district, and can't afford to move or send her to private school.  His wife is a bit of a nut though (and I'm being kind here), so it is a little worrisome in their case.

It's great  that your parents are helping out too.

Do you plan to send your kids to public or private school at any point as they get older?  If so, just don't send them to a school where you do work.  I know you're a cool dad and all, but no kid wants his dad showing up unannounced at school.  I had a friend in school whose dad did work for the school, and one day we had both gotten in trouble and were sitting in detention together after school, when we looked up and saw his dad standing right out in the hall.  We put our heads down and looked away, and luckily, his dad never looked in.  You don't want to put your poor kids through that.  :lol:

Funny how some kids develop a fondness for beer very young.  My nephew is like that; he's wanted to drink beer since he was about 7.  I'm sure he's drinking it for real now (he's 16).
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Catman

QuoteI could read at 5, and I went to public school.

Beautiful car, Ron.

Can't wait to see it in person when I pick up your A6.
:lol:  Let's hear it for Public Schools!  Hell, 3rd grade was the hardest 4 years of my life!  Don't tell me they don't teach you good.  But there is a reason my wife and my mom home school my kids.  Public Schools aint quite what they used to be 25 yrs ago!

And, errrrr, Raza, I'll be issuing a restraining order against you soon.   :lol:  :lol:
It's all set, just pick it up. :P  

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

dazzleman

QuoteSo is it really a religion thing?
Raza, I think the restraining order forbids ANY contact, and that includes hectoring Ron with questions on a message board.  So you must cease and desist IMMEDIATELY, or face arrest and prosecution.  If that happens, then you'll REALLY love LEOs, even more than you do now.  :rockon:  

Raza

Raza, I think the restraining order forbids ANY contact, and that includes hectoring Ron with questions on a message board.  So you must cease and desist IMMEDIATELY, or face arrest and prosecution.  If that happens, then you'll REALLY love LEOs, even more than you do now.  :rockon:
:mellow:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Colonel Cadillac

RJM

Don't listen Raza, most restraining orders aren't worth the paper they're printed on. ;)

Congrats on the car.  Seeing that rear seat picture reminds me of my sister's Celica Convertable, it had a back seat but.....well, you took the picture!

And remeber not to get too attached to it.  When you're on the 2-year lease plan, just about the time you get accustomed to it, the time comes to turn it in.  But the bright side is you get another new car!!!

omicron

saxonyron

And, errrrr, Raza, I'll be issuing a restraining order against you soon.   :lol:  :lol:
It's all set, just pick it up. :P
Thanks Catman, I owe you one!  :rockon:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Catman

Ah, my favorite smiley.  :mellow:  

Catman

I've met plenty of parents that home school and most are great folks.  However, there seems to be a contingent of them that are borderline cult members and will only associate with other home schoolers.  :(  

saxonyron

QuoteInteresting.  I never knew that you and your wife were homeschooling your kids.

I have a friend who's homeschooling his daughter.  They live in a bad school district, and can't afford to move or send her to private school.  His wife is a bit of a nut though (and I'm being kind here), so it is a little worrisome in their case.

It's great  that your parents are helping out too.

Do you plan to send your kids to public or private school at any point as they get older?  If so, just don't send them to a school where you do work.  I know you're a cool dad and all, but no kid wants his dad showing up unannounced at school.  I had a friend in school whose dad did work for the school, and one day we had both gotten in trouble and were sitting in detention together after school, when we looked up and saw his dad standing right out in the hall.  We put our heads down and looked away, and luckily, his dad never looked in.  You don't want to put your poor kids through that.  :lol:

Funny how some kids develop a fondness for beer very young.  My nephew is like that; he's wanted to drink beer since he was about 7.  I'm sure he's drinking it for real now (he's 16).
We're keeping our options open as they get older.  My oldest just turned 14 (she's officially taller than my wife). As long as it's workable and they're happy, we'll keep plugging away.  Although, I could see 10th thru 12th in Private school a possibility - maybe a 50-50 chance.  Nothing too blue blooded, though.  I work at these $30-$40,000 a year prep schools.  That's not quite on the horizon!  :blink: I'm talking Catholic School!

And I remember your story about your friend's Dad - mtalk about dying a thousand deaths!  :ph34r:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

QuoteI've met plenty of parents that home school and most are great folks.  However, there seems to be a contingent of them that are borderline cult members and will only associate with other home schoolers.  :(
Yeah - we don't hang with the cultish ones.  They're a scary bunch.  At least you can usually tell them from 50 feet away!  And their kids are usually the least educated and most self-righteous.  :rolleyes:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Catman

QuoteI've met plenty of parents that home school and most are great folks.? However, there seems to be a contingent of them that are borderline cult members and will only associate with other home schoolers.? :(
Yeah - we don't hang with the cultish ones.  They're a scary bunch.  At least you can usually tell them from 50 feet away!  And their kids are usually the least educated and most self-righteous.  :rolleyes:
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Raza

Fuck it.  Ron, whether you home school, go to church, or whatever, I like you.  You seem to have a decent head on your shoulders, and a fellow that drives an Audi seems to know something that many other people (not including Volkswagen owners) simply don't.

Good luck.  With everything.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Catman

QuoteFuck it.  Ron, whether you home school, go to church, or whatever, I like you.  You seem to have a decent head on your shoulders, and a fellow that drives an Audi seems to know something that many other people (not including Volkswagen owners) simply don't.

LOL, yeah Ron's a squared away guy.  No doubt. :praise:  

SJ_GTI

Ah, my favorite smiley.  :mellow:
It is one of the good ones, isn't it.

My other favorites:

:praise:
:devil:
:wub:  
:threadsux:
:ph34r:  

omicron

Colonel Cadillac

I go to one of those $30-40,000 private schools, and I can honestly say that it is an excellent experience. I definitely recommend it as an option for some of your kids. I have to admit though, I have never gone to public school, so I do not have a good comparison between the two. Plus, if it is a day school, the tuition won't be any higher than $22,000 most likely.  

Raza

QuoteI go to one of those $30-40,000 private schools, and I can honestly say that it is an excellent experience. I definitely recommend it as an option for some of your kids. I have to admit though, I have never gone to public school, so I do not have a good comparison between the two. Plus, if it is a day school, the tuition won't be any higher than $22,000 most likely.
You've never been to public school?

Man, if I ever have kids (and fellow SPIN patrons, pray to whatever you hold holy that I do not) I'll send them to public school.  You meet a lot of colorful people that way.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

$35,000!

-changes to understandable currency-

AU$47,290!

WOW!  :o  

saxonyron

QuoteFuck it.  Ron, whether you home school, go to church, or whatever, I like you.  You seem to have a decent head on your shoulders, and a fellow that drives an Audi seems to know something that many other people (not including Volkswagen owners) simply don't.

Thanks, Raza....I think!  You're a likable guy, too.  You really just need to worry less about eveyone else having an agenda.  Most people really don't -  they just want to do their own thing - you know, the Libertarian philosophy!  Just because I like sprouting kids and going to church on Sunday, it doesn't mean I'm coming to get you!  Same with Catman.  When I first met him, I knew right away he was a great guy.  Hell, he hardly cinched the cuffs down hard, and when he read me my rights, he really worked hard to make sure I understood them.   Sometimes I think you spend too much time trying to find a reason not to get along with someone.  A little cynical outlook is healthy - just don't get consumed by it.  Too much down time!     :rockon:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

QuoteFuck it.  Ron, whether you home school, go to church, or whatever, I like you.  You seem to have a decent head on your shoulders, and a fellow that drives an Audi seems to know something that many other people (not including Volkswagen owners) simply don't.

Good luck.  With everything.
Thanks, Raza....I think!  You're a likable guy, too.  You really just need to worry less about eveyone else having an agenda.  Most people really don't -  they just want to do their own thing - you know, the Libertarian philosophy!  Just because I like sprouting kids and going to church on Sunday, it doesn't mean I'm coming to get you!  Same with Catman.  When I first met him, I knew right away he was a great guy.  Hell, he hardly cinched the cuffs down hard, and when he read me my rights, he really worked hard to make sure I understood them.   Sometimes I think you spend too much time trying to find a reason not to get along with someone.  A little cynical outlook is healthy - just don't get consumed by it.  Too much down time!     :rockon:
Yeah, well, you know what they say....Like everyone, trust no one.

Actually, I just say that.  That's only me.

In any case, you're okay.  Hell, I'm trying to date a girl who describes herself as "a Christian", which is scary.  But she's really cute.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i