D-Man's New Ride

Started by dazzleman, March 05, 2006, 05:38:03 AM

dazzleman

Well, the big day finally arrived, and I picked up my new set of wheels yesterday.

I got a 2006 BMW 530i, in titanium silver, and traded in my dark blue 2001 BMW 530i.

Aside from the keyless entry option that I got, which I'll go into more later, the biggest difference between the 2 cars is the controls.  The navigation system is quite a bit different, as are the controls in general, particularly with the I-drive.  I'm just getting into learning all of this, though I had a quick tutorial at the dealer.

Generally, the I-drive allows for more flexibility in setting preferences.  For example, I can change through I-drive whether, when I approach the car, I want all the doors to unlock, or just the driver's door.

Keyless entry is cool.  I just walk up and put my hand on the door handle, and the car unlocks.  Then I just push a button to start it.

In terms of drivability, it seems largely the same as my previous car.  I expected this, since this is first new car I have gotten that was not a significant upgrade from my previous car.  And of course, my previous BMW basically drove as well when I traded it in as it did the day I got it.  The funny thing is, it seems to feel a little faster than the other car at higher speed (75-80 mph), but that is just my initial perception.  I haven't done much of that type of driving yet.

One thing I thought strange was that they replaced the full-sized spare tire with a donut.  I guess they wanted to make more room in the trunk, but I liked having that full-sized spare.  Another thing is that if you're not wearing your seat-belt, it bongs continuously.  A good new feature is that if somebody weighing less than 45 pounds is sitting in the front passenger seat, there is a sensor that will keep the air bag from deploying.

I didn't get a chance to drive the car much yesterday, with all the activity surrounding the car.  I picked it up in the afternoon, and brought my niece and nephew with me to get it.  Then a whole group of us went out to dinner later, but it was local, so it didn't allow for any real driving.  I think I'll take it out for a spin this morning.  :lol:

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

ifcar

Sounds good! Do try and find a way to post some pictures. ;)

And IIRC a full-size spare is optional.

BMWDave

Congrats!! B)  Enjoy it to the fullest, and watch out for that break in period :lol:  

Now you can go to the Sax's race with Raza and humiliate both of them :P :D

Oh, and pictures are a must!

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

SJ_GTI

Pics!!!

Congrats. IMHO you just bought the best sport sedan on the market.  :praise:  

saxonyron

Niiiiccee!  Congratulations!  :lol:  Keyless entry sounds absolutely slick! Sounds like you had a great day picking it up, dinner with the little dudes, etc.  I did the same thing - kind of make it into a semi-holiday.  I remember when I was a kid i a new car was always memorable.  Enjoy a full day of tame pre-break-in period Sunday driving!  

I'm heading to North Conway to ski for the week with the herd - hopefully I'll find some wi-fi up there, otherwise, I'll check in with you later!

Congrats again, and hopefully by the time I get back, you'll get some pics!  :rockon:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

cawimmer430

Nice choice! If you had gotten a 525i, I would have called you a "POSER".  :lol:

Show us the pics sometime.  :praise:  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cozmik

Congratulations man! 5 series is a sweet car! What color interior did you get?

What do you think of the 255 HP version of the 3.0 compared to the 3.0 in your old 5?

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

footoflead

Lets see those pictures
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Tom

Very nice.  Congrats :rockon:  

dazzleman

QuoteCongratulations man! 5 series is a sweet car! What color interior did you get?

What do you think of the 255 HP version of the 3.0 compared to the 3.0 in your old 5?
I got a gray interior.

To be honest, I haven't noticed any huge difference in the way this car drives as compared to my previous car.

In a way, that's a testament to the staying power of BMW.  The way a car drives gradually deteriorates as it gets older, and you usually notice it when you get a new one.  This is the first time I've gotten a new car and not noticed a real difference in the quality of the drive from the older one.

What's radically different are the exterior styling and the interior control panels.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Catman

New rule..............no new car announcements without pics. :rage:  

JYODER240

You guys are killing me, I'm really excited to get my new car.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

dazzleman

QuoteNew rule..............no new car announcements without pics. :rage:
Dude, you're failing to take into account that I am an idiot.

First off, I don't have a scanner or a digital camera.

I'm thinking I could take pictures with my cell phone, and then maybe e-mail the pictures to my e-mail account, from which I could transfer them to post them here.

But I don't know how to send pictures by e-mail from my phone, or even if I have the service giving me that capability.

ifcar

A picture-phone can't just connect to a computer with a USB?

dazzleman

QuoteNice choice! If you had gotten a 525i, I would have called you a "POSER".  :lol:

Show us the pics sometime.  :praise:
Hah, I test drove the 525i when I was buying my last car in 2000-01.  I thought it was marginally OK but light on power.  Then I drove the 530i, and I noticed the difference immediately.  It was love at first accelerator pumping.

This time, I didn't even consider the 525i.  I think you're right -- that's it's for a person who simply wants the name.  I'm really not that type -- if I can't do it 'right' I won't do it at all.

cozmik

I'm thinking I could take pictures with my cell phone, and then maybe e-mail the pictures to my e-mail account, from which I could transfer them to post them here.

But I don't know how to send pictures by e-mail from my phone, or even if I have the service giving me that capability.
:pullover:

You don't have a digital camera?!?!

You need to take back the keyless entry and buy a camera!

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

TBR

I think there are free websites out there that allow you to send pictures to your e-mail using a phone number they provide. Not sure how it all works.

dazzleman

Hah, like I need you to bust my balls, Matt.... :lol:

I'm pretty impatient with all the computer stuff.  I'll figure it out at some point.

Do you think my cellphone idea will work?

cozmik

Hah, like I need you to bust my balls, Matt.... :lol:

I'm pretty impatient with all the computer stuff.  I'll figure it out at some point.

Do you think my cellphone idea will work?
Who is your provider?

Depending on your provider, you might have to add MMS service to your account first. It will cost about $0.25 per message/picture to send from your phone, but it should work, you just have to make sure you select the correct account type you are sending to when you have that option on your phone.

dazzleman

QuoteWho is your provider?

Depending on your provider, you might have to add MMS service to your account first. It will cost about $0.25 per message/picture to send from your phone, but it should work, you just have to make sure you select the correct account type you are sending to when you have that option on your phone.
Thanks man.  Now I can forgive you for your heartless earlier comment.... :lol:  :rockon:

BTW, it's interesting that you chose the police siren signal to use on your post about my lack of a digital camera, considering how much you get pulled over... :pullover:  [now it's my turn to bust balls-- only kidding, man].

I wonder if the thread on my car will get to 18 pages as Sax's did.  Of course, Sax is eminently deserving of his popularity here.  I hope I can at least get to two pages.... :P  

Catman

Oh man!  It's worse than I thought.  Well, when you come up this way I'll get some pics. :rockon:  

cozmik

Thanks man.  Now I can forgive you for your heartless earlier comment.... :lol:  :rockon:

BTW, it's interesting that you chose the police siren signal to use on your post about my lack of a digital camera, considering how much you get pulled over... :pullover:  [now it's my turn to bust balls-- only kidding, man].

I wonder if the thread on my car will get to 18 pages as Sax's did.  Of course, Sax is eminently deserving of his popularity here.  I hope I can at least get to two pages.... :P

:pullover:  =   :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  

Lebowski

Just take and post a friggin picture already!   :rage:  

Tom

I think you, Sax, and Catman should jump on the freeway and race.... stopping at 55mph of course.

Lazerous

QuoteI think you, Sax, and Catman should jump on the freeway and race.... stopping at 55mph of course.
Sadly that wont work in FL, I tried that and got nailed for it, Im sure most of you remember my thread, its in the ask a police board or whatever that board is called, I had the camaro racing a 'stang, I still dont kno what happened to the guy racing me, all I know is that he plead not guilty and they gave him a new court date.

Anyway, not to hijack your thread, Congratulations on the new car, be sure to take care of (whats your cars name, come on, your car has to have a name, I mean she/he is apart of the family now) and give her baths when needed  

Laconian

I can't believe it. You lack the technical capability to upload pictures to a forum, and yet you bought a car with iDrive. Whatever! :D

Congrats! Now if only you could buy an Autobahn to put it on!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BMWDave

Ya gotta post numerous pictures with updates-this thread will baloon in no time :P  :rockon:  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

SJ_GTI

Which carspinners live close to Dazzleman?!?

I wanna see Pics!  :rage:

:lol:  

Laconian

Send us a picture from a speeding camera!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Well, I'm glad you took all my advice and bought the car you were going to buy anyway.  Always happens like that.  

Make sure you don't accidentally select suicide on iDrive.  They foolishly put it next to the menu for your footwell light intensity and time, which people will use all the time.

And since it is a BMW, I hope it doesn't break down on you.  iDrive will cause the car to do that if it feels you aren't being a big enough asshole to kepe the BMW image alive--the last thing it needs is a polite driver.  

:mellow:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.