God damnit...

Started by MrH, March 20, 2006, 10:23:00 PM

MrH

So I got my first ticket tonight.  He claims I was doing 66 in a 45.  I was checking my speed regularly and I'm pretty sure I never went over 60.  Also, my insurance card was expired, but from what I hear, as long as I show up with it, it'll get dropped.

I have a court date on Monday.  The ticket doesn't even have a monetary sum or anything.  It just says I have to go to court.  Is this because I was doing 20+ over?  Or because my insurance card was expired?

I plan on being real honest with the judge, dressing nice, and bringing a parent with me.  Hopefully I'll get off with just a fine and no points (that's the goal).

I'm 18 by the way, first time ever being pulled over.  About 10:30 PM on Monday night.  There was absolutely no one else on the road and clear conditions on a country road.

Any suggestions?

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Champ

QuoteThere was absolutely no one else on the road and clear conditions on a country road.

Any suggestions?
Doesn't this just annoy everyone?  Totally clear, no one else around and it is ironically when they enforce the most it seems.

I think that is about all you can hope for - Go to court, act and dress respectable, and just be honest with the judge.  Let me know how it turns out so I know what to expect for mine :)

Tom

No ticket but a court date?  Yep, you're screwed.  Hopefully the judge will be nice and drop your speed to <20.  You might want to see what spped over the limit is considered "recless driving" or similar in your state.

Raza

When I got my first ticket, the cut off for a 5 over fine ($100 and no points) was 25mph over.  Different state, but I think you'll be okay.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sparkplug

He must have had a slow day and decided to stick it to you.

I agree with the previous post.  

TurboDan

My last ticket was for 23 over.  88 in a 65, to be exact on the NJ Turnpike in '04.  I think NJ requires a court appearance for 30 over.  I'm surprised they're hauling you into court on Monday.  It usually takes at least a month for a court date!

There's no option to mail in the ticket?  What state are you from?

MrH

QuoteMy last ticket was for 23 over.  88 in a 65, to be exact on the NJ Turnpike in '04.  I think NJ requires a court appearance for 30 over.  I'm surprised they're hauling you into court on Monday.  It usually takes at least a month for a court date!

There's no option to mail in the ticket?  What state are you from?
There's no monetary value on the ticket at all.  I'm from Ohio by the way.

He handed me the ticket, and I asked if I could mail in some sort of payment, and he said that the money owed will be determined at my court date.  I plan on asking my law teacher tomorrow (who was a trial attorney in Ohio for 8 years I think) what the deal is.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

I don't know anyone from Ohio.  Is that how it's usually done there?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Alright, here's the deal.

When I got pulled over, the cop just told me I had a court date monday, and said the fine would be determined there.  I specifically asked if I could mail something in, and he said I couldn't.

My mom and I both thought this was weird.  She called yesterday and found out I could.  I think the cop thought I was under 18 for some reason, and then, I'd have to go to court.  Now, since my court date is on Monday, I gotta run the money down there instead of mailing it in.  :banghead:   Stupid cop.

It's $145.  Not sure how many points.  My guess is 2.  Awesome part is, my parents aren't pissed at all.  I went two years without an accident or any ticket.  They thought it was stupid to pull me over on a completely empty, country road at 10:30 PM on a Monday too.

Even though I have no problem paying the $145, my parents said they'd take care of it.

So now, I don't have to go to court and I don't have to pay anything.  This turned out pretty damn awesome for me.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Raza

Should have gone not guilty.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Its cheaper in the long run to just hire an attorney (if its local) and have them get the ticket dropped (if you have a case) or changed to a parking ticket (no points but the municipality still gets its cut).

Out of state tickets its probably easier to just pay the ticket.

Lebowski

QuoteIts cheaper in the long run to just hire an attorney (if its local) and have them get the ticket dropped (if you have a case) or changed to a parking ticket (no points but the municipality still gets its cut).

Out of state tickets its probably easier to just pay the ticket.
I agree.  I got a law-yer last time I got a ticket (illegal left turn).  He cost me something like $70.  Hiring him was a very easy process, he has a website where you just describe the situation, give citation number etc., and pay online, and he handles the rest.  It isn't that cheap in the short run, but I'm much more worried about points than the fine.