Hello, my name is Psilos (Hi Psilos!)

Started by Rupert, March 25, 2006, 05:17:43 PM

footoflead

QuoteYeah, I can push the thing in neutral... That's how I got it into a decent parking spot when it died :P . I changed the starter (well, my friend did most of the work for some reason --I guess he wanted to 'cause it was his garage--, but he didn't do anything I wouldn't have done).
well...
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Tom

Cut holes in the floor and go about Flintstone style.

Rupert

Um, I can't reach the ground from the drivers seat...

footoflead- Well what?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

footoflead

QuoteUm, I can't reach the ground from the drivers seat...

footoflead- Well what?
is it workin

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Rupert

Haven't tried anything yet... Too busy.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Run Away

Well it's something in the engine then, it's back to find out if the engine can turn then go from there.

If the engine does turn, check the starter.

You say it makes like a click when you turn the key? Alternator/battery charged and working properly?

EDIT - please tell me you've at least tried to jump it?

Rupert

I haven't tried anything yet... This weekend should provide some time. The starter and battery worked fine when I started it before it died. The noise is one click when I turn the key to start, and a slightly deeper click when I turn the key back to off.

sparkplug

It might the a bad circuit in the vehicle. I remember our 91 Explorer doing that about 11 years ago.

Tom

If you turn the key to the accessory position(I forget what you call it, but so that the electricity is turned on) you should hear a 2-4 second whooshing noise that inidicates the fuel pump is working.  If you don't hear it or you hear some other noise like you described maybe your pump is effed.

TBR

That should actually be the on position, the accesory position doesn't turn the fuel pump on.

sparkplug

I'm thinking it's either the starter solenoid or something that connects from the battery to the starter like a relay. It happened to our Exploder and I believe it happened with this one too.

Rupert

Hrm, that would cause the Jeep to be without power etc and stall out, eh? Neat idea.

Rupert

Update!

I tried to jump the Jeep... Nothin'. I took out the plugs (no landlord types around...) and turned the engine. I don't know if I went all the way around, but the engine definitely turned. I didn't hear a whooshing with the key in the "On" position. Fuel pump, then?

footoflead

QuoteUpdate!

I tried to jump the Jeep... Nothin'. I took out the plugs (no landlord types around...) and turned the engine. I don't know if I went all the way around, but the engine definitely turned. I didn't hear a whooshing with the key in the "On" position. Fuel pump, then?
That would make since...should be to big a deal to replace..but meh...if i were you i'd sell it as is tellin the seller what the prob is and let 'em have it cheap and cut your losses..if you lucky you might be able to get another trooper ;)  :lol:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Run Away

Battery completely drained then, your alternator might have died.
How long did you have your battery jumpered? If a battery is 100% drained, then it'll take a few minutes before jumping actually works.

Next on the list is starter/starter wirring.

Rupert

It doesn't make sense that the battery would be totally drained. It started up just fine, without any low-battery-ness, when I started it before it died. I suppose it could be the starter, but as someone (you?) pointed out, that doesn't explain the clunk-dead bit.

Run Away

Yeah that was me (clunk thing).

How long were you driving it before it died (over 20 mintues?)

If it rolls just fine, that means the drivetrain is fine.
Engine isn't seized.
But it won't turn over.

So there's something in your starting system that is bad. Either the starter is toast, or it's not getting power.
The starter being toast isn't that likely, so you've got to figure out why it isn't getting power, either the battery is totally drained, or the wirring is messed.

Take you battery out and bring it to an autozone place, they charge batteries for free...

Rupert

OK, makes sense. How would that explain the clunk-dead bit? That is really my main concern at the moment...

sparkplug

I believe the problem could probably be fixed for cheap. You could have a short or bad alternator that drained the battery to the point that it won't crank. Make sure the line from the battery to the starter is not messed up.

I would suggest you take the alternator off and find out if it's bad.

Good luck with repairs.

Run Away

I would suggest you take the alternator off and find out if it's bad.
How would he go about that?

The only way I know of testing alternators is to have the car running and the guys at part source have this fancy multimeter that tells them how many volts it's putting out, and how many are being used.  

Run Away

QuoteOK, makes sense. How would that explain the clunk-dead bit? That is really my main concern at the moment...
It doesn't.
I'm just getting all the basics required for an engine to start/run.
Once it's running again then you can figure out what noises it's making and why.

Rupert

It sounds like even if I do get it running, it's gonna end up expensive. I'll go as far as a battery test and possible replacement to get it running, but I think that's gonna be it. If it's running but not very well, I think I can get $1200 on a good day, $1100 on another day. Dammit, it's gonna be weeks before it sells at any price...

SargeMonkey

I had this happen on the 79 Cvcc, there is a wire that most people over look, I think its a ground. It hooks to the 'hot' side of the starter if I recall correctly. Did you ever get it to turn over?
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

TBR

It is called a grounding strap, that is pretty much all I know :P . 93JC could probably help you figure out where it is and what it should be connected to.

Rupert

The engine turns, but only by hand... The wires on the starter are all connected, AFAICT.

Raza

As far as I can tell?

WIUWTICLA?  IDMASTMQH.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Yes.

"Which international university would the idiot clams like to attend? I don't mind a simple trigonal mast question, homey."?

Rupert

The battery is low, but not dead. I should be getting some kind of cranking. The lights and all that work... Any other ideas?

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

footoflead

QuoteThe battery is low, but not dead. I should be getting some kind of cranking. The lights and all that work... Any other ideas?
1)Take explosive device
2)Attach to gas tank
3)RUN!

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's