Who Will Be the Next To Get a Ticket?

Started by dazzleman, March 25, 2006, 05:28:01 PM

Raza

QuoteI would also like to point out that racism is most definitely not a one way street. Many African Americans definitely look down on whites, though I haven't been around enough Middle Easterners to know how they act towards people of other races.
You're right, racism isn't a one way street, but whtie racism is more significant, if you ask me, because whites are the ones in power.  White people are the cops, politicians, lawyers, judges, and the ones with the most money.  They are in the position to do the most damage.
You've got the lines down perfectly, Raza.  
I guess there are no non-white elected officials, cops, judges, etc.  :rolleyes:
Sorry I didn't take a headcount.  It's safe to say that the majority of those in power are white, isn't it?  Or should I check the bloody census?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

I maintain culture is divided more by wealth than by race.

Raza

QuoteI maintain culture is divided more by wealth than by race.
Ask a sociologist, they'd say you didn't make any distinction.  

I don't agree with that, by the way, just what they'd say.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

QuoteI would also like to point out that racism is most definitely not a one way street. Many African Americans definitely look down on whites, though I haven't been around enough Middle Easterners to know how they act towards people of other races.
You're right, racism isn't a one way street, but whtie racism is more significant, if you ask me, because whites are the ones in power.  White people are the cops, politicians, lawyers, judges, and the ones with the most money.  They are in the position to do the most damage.
Yes, more whites are in positions of authority than people of other races, but a police station won't refuse you a job because you're black, or a court because you are Middle-Eastern. Actual political positions are different, whites are the majority here and people tend to favor the candidates that are most like them.

Raza

Yes, more whites are in positions of authority than people of other races, but a police station won't refuse you a job because you're black, or a court because you are Middle-Eastern. Actual political positions are different, whites are the majority here and people tend to favor the candidates that are most like them.
No, I get what you're saying.

Here's the thing...

I don't think any of you are (terribly) wrong!  In a good world, it would be that way.  

I'm not asking for anything to change.  I'm just saying how it is.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Run Away

QuoteI've got two adopted black sisters, can't say I've ever been in a position where I've seen racism directed towards them.
Could be a cultural thing--I honestly don't know anything about what it's like to live in Canada, and when I was in Canada, my only impression was "Canadians are really nice".  

But I can tell you that the vandalism we've dealt with wasn't just random.  Neither were the slurs.  I mean, you don't just randomly call someone a towelhead and tell them to go home.
And why take things like that seriously?

In highschool, my locker was covered in fake blood several times, the final time with a slip of paper with the words "DIE BEN DIE" fingerpainted on it.

Nothing ever came of it.

Raza

QuoteI've got two adopted black sisters, can't say I've ever been in a position where I've seen racism directed towards them.
Could be a cultural thing--I honestly don't know anything about what it's like to live in Canada, and when I was in Canada, my only impression was "Canadians are really nice".  

But I can tell you that the vandalism we've dealt with wasn't just random.  Neither were the slurs.  I mean, you don't just randomly call someone a towelhead and tell them to go home.

In highschool, my locker was covered in fake blood several times, the final time with a slip of paper with the words "DIE BEN DIE" fingerpainted on it.

Nothing ever came of it.
I'm guessing you didn't get into a lot of fights in school?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tom

Nothing ever came of it.
Sheesh, some people take Honda-bashing to an extreme...

Run Away

Not one fight. Still don't know who did it, I have no ememies. I don't look for fights and I try to avoid them though.

Tom: this was before I had a car. :P

L. ed foote

Back on topic, I've had several near misses the last few days, so I think I'll pick myself in the office pool.
Member, Self Preservation Society

L. ed foote

QuoteI don't look for fights and I try to avoid them though.
Sometimes you just can't help it.

On a related note, just because someone wears glasses and doesn't say a whole lot, that doesn't mean he's a punk.  :lol:  

J86

dazzleman

QuoteBack on topic, I've had several near misses the last few days, so I think I'll pick myself in the office pool.
Hah, hasn't it been a pretty long time for you, Foote, like about 2 years?

For you, that must be some sort of record.  Maybe you're just getting old, man.  :lol:  
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

J86

If gas ever gets close to two bucks a gallon, then look out!

L. ed foote

QuoteBack on topic, I've had several near misses the last few days, so I think I'll pick myself in the office pool.
Actually, 3 months.  I went to court in Marathon (NY) yesterday.  Nailed driving with a suspended license back in January.

Last time I was hit with that (I wanna say back in 1999), it set me back $490+court costs.  So I was expecting to pay a hefty fine (actually I was planning to set up paying the fine, I don't carry that kind of cash :lol:).  I meet up with the DA, she offers me to plea to a lesser charge, with no points.  I figure "oh well, what the hell" and take the plea.

Unlicensed Operation.  Total cost with court fees and everything?

$80

:praise:

dazzleman

Actually, 3 months.  I went to court in Marathon (NY) yesterday.  Nailed driving with a suspended license back in January.

Last time I was hit with that (I wanna say back in 1999), it set me back $490+court costs.  So I was expecting to pay a hefty fine (actually I was planning to set up paying the fine, I don't carry that kind of cash :lol:).  I meet up with the DA, she offers me to plea to a lesser charge, with no points.  I figure "oh well, what the hell" and take the plea.

Unlicensed Operation.  Total cost with court fees and everything?

$80

:praise:
Why was your license suspended?  Did you accumulate excessive points, or just fail to answer a ticket?

You made out pretty well on this one.  But you must sometimes feel as if you could be a tour guide for traffic courts in the greater New York area.... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

L. ed foote

QuoteWhy was your license suspended?  Did you accumulate excessive points, or just fail to answer a ticket?
Failure to answer.  It was something I had been meaning to take care of, just never got around to it.

dazzleman

QuoteWhy was your license suspended?? Did you accumulate excessive points, or just fail to answer a ticket?
Failure to answer.  It was something I had been meaning to take care of, just never got around to it.
Was it another speeding ticket?

When I got my last ticket, I mailed in my not guilty plea, and the centralized infractions bureau (state of Connecticut) lost my response, and sent me a letter accusing me of failure to answer, and said they would suspend my license.

I had to call them and straighten it out.

I am terrible about obeying the speed limits, but I scrupulously answer any tickets I get because I don't want to deal with the additional BS that comes with that.

dazzleman

Anybody want to place a bet on whether or not I get a speeding ticket driving to my get-together in Boston with saxonyron and Catman (or back from it)?

850CSi

I was REAAAALLLY fucking close

Me and another 3 cars driven by friends and another car driven by a parent were speeding through I-94 in Wisconsin doing 90-100 in a 65 zone on our way to the Dells. Basically some of us are still 17 so we need a parent to come and rent out the condo for us (senior trip), and the parent took us through an alternate route so we had to keep up. 3 of us got pulled over by a single State squad car (I didn't even know that was frikkin possible but she did it). She took our licenses, claiming she had pulled us over because an undercover cop radioed ahead that we were speeding dangerously.

She comes back a few minutes later tosses each of us our licenses, gives us lectures, takes down our names and plate numbers, and takes off. I have no idea why she didn't slap us each with a fat ticket (90 in a 65 would have fucked me over big time), but I'm  guessing it had something to do with the fact that she didn't have any evidence - she wasn't the one who got us speeding on her radar.

dazzleman

QuoteI was REAAAALLLY fucking close

Me and another 3 cars driven by friends and another car driven by a parent were speeding through I-94 in Wisconsin doing 90-100 in a 65 zone on our way to the Dells. Basically some of us are still 17 so we need a parent to come and rent out the condo for us (senior trip), and the parent took us through an alternate route so we had to keep up. 3 of us got pulled over by a single State squad car (I didn't even know that was frikkin possible but she did it). She took our licenses, claiming she had pulled us over because an undercover cop radioed ahead that we were speeding dangerously.

She comes back a few minutes later tosses each of us our licenses, gives us lectures, takes down our names and plate numbers, and takes off. I have no idea why she didn't slap us each with a fat ticket (90 in a 65 would have fucked me over big time), but I'm  guessing it had something to do with the fact that she didn't have any evidence - she wasn't the one who got us speeding on her radar.
Dude, you got pretty lucky.

I thought you were going to clean up your act after your last run-in with the speed police?????  :lol:  

JYODER240

Wow, Faris you got let off by not only a statey, but a female cop! I think you lucked out with that one.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

dazzleman

QuoteWow, Faris you got let off by not only a statey, but a female cop! I think you lucked out with that one.
True, the staties will pretty much write you up if they pull you over.  They're much more 'by the book' than the local cops, who may let you off the hook if you give them a good story.

850CSi

QuoteI was REAAAALLLY fucking close

She comes back a few minutes later tosses each of us our licenses, gives us lectures, takes down our names and plate numbers, and takes off. I have no idea why she didn't slap us each with a fat ticket (90 in a 65 would have fucked me over big time), but I'm  guessing it had something to do with the fact that she didn't have any evidence - she wasn't the one who got us speeding on her radar.
Dude, you got pretty lucky.

I thought you were going to clean up your act after your last run-in with the speed police?????  :lol:
Yeah. And if it's up to me, I don't usually drive that fast. And there's probably a reason why that parent didn't scold us for getting pulled over - it was partially his fault.

The thing is, 90 was a bit on the fast side but I wasn't driving recklessly.

850CSi

QuoteWow, Faris you got let off by not only a statey, but a female cop! I think you lucked out with that one.
True, the staties will pretty much write you up if they pull you over.  They're much more 'by the book' than the local cops, who may let you off the hook if you give them a good story.
That's true; it actually sorta increases by level. City cops will listen to a story (It also depends on the city - I know that downtown a cop isn't gonna bother to pull someone over for speeding), county cops tend to be stubborn, and state cops will ticket like crazy. They just love catching speeders.

And yes, I did get pretty damn lucky. One of the guys said it may have been because she knew we were coming from Illinois... You really don't want to piss off people from the state that is responsible for an overwhelming majority of your tourist industry.

L. ed foote

Quotestate cops will ticket like crazy. They just love catching speeders.
That's pretty much all they do  :lol:  

dazzleman

You ought to know.  :lol:

What's the longest you've gone without a ticket, Foote?

TurboDan

I cut it REALLY close last night.  Was on the Southern Parkway driving back to Brooklyn from LI and spotted a reflection in some trees up ahead just before I was in range.  I surely would've gotten a ticket if I hadn't braked in time.  It was NYSP, by the way.

dazzleman

QuoteI cut it REALLY close last night.  Was on the Southern Parkway driving back to Brooklyn from LI and spotted a reflection in some trees up ahead just before I was in range.  I surely would've gotten a ticket if I hadn't braked in time.  It was NYSP, by the way.
To come so close to winning the pool, and then seeing it slip from your grasp....must be very painful man.... :lol:

How fast were you going, man?  Is the speed limit on that road 55 mph?

L. ed foote

You ought to know.  :lol:

What's the longest you've gone without a ticket, Foote?
I don't remember; a couple of years, I think...

BTW, got the Scirocco up to 100 on the NJ Turnpike B).  

Ran solid, though it took me forever to get there  :lol: