Who Will Be the Next To Get a Ticket?

Started by dazzleman, March 25, 2006, 05:28:01 PM

dazzleman

QuoteI got bagged in 1990 doing 90 in my old Audi.  The cop was set up in the perfect hiding spot about a mile across a valley.  Instant on radar, all my alerts go off, slam on the brakes and slow to 60 or so.  Of course he bagged me, and of course he knew I had a radar detector even though I threw it under the seat.  I'm not saying I wouldn't be caught by the same dragnet again, but I probably wouldn't get the $300 ticket.  I'd probably get a detector if I was in a high enforcement area, but around here it's pretty manageble just by being smart.  Oh, man...I'm sure I just cursed myself!  :pullover:
Dude, $300 was a pretty stiff fine back in 1990.  What a miscreant you must have been that the great commonwealth of Massachusetts saw fit to kick you in the nuts with a fine like that.  :lol:

Sometime in the early 1990s, I got whacked with a speeding fine of about $250.  I was pretty blown away by it, since I was used to paying chump change fines like $50 or $60.

States raised their speeding fines quite a bit in the early 1990s to increase revenue because they were facing budget crunches due to the recession at that time.  I remember a few of my buddies getting 'sticker shock' at that time from the price of their tickets having increased so much beyond what they were used to paying.

Being self-employed Sax, I'm sure that if you get a ticket, you can find some way to write it off as a 'business expense,' so I wouldn't lose too much sleep worrying about it, man.  :rockon:  
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

saxonyron

Yeah, I was a cocky 25 yr old prick.  I've been real lucky with warnings lately.  Even my last worst incident sparring at 80-85 with some dude in a Volvo - was a few days into November (registration and sticker both expired in Oct).  I got pulled over and they guy let me get off with a $50 sticker violation.  Hell, he could have towed my car and cuffed me.  I must be very charming or very lucky.  I'll go with lucky.  :lol:

And yes, my business paid the bill, of course.  It's completely legitimate, at  least in my mind.  I was speeding because it was 10:30 and I was working real late.  I was in a hurry to see my family!  :lol:

And speaking of your radar detector experience, that brought back memories for me.  I remember how paranoid I was with that damn thing.  Every automatic door opener at every grocery store would set it off.  :pullover:  I'm sure the new ones are better, but the false alarms that I got drove me nuts.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

QuoteYeah, I was a cocky 25 yr old prick.  I've been real lucky with warnings lately.  Even my last worst incident sparring at 80-85 with some dude in a Volvo - was a few days into November (registration and sticker both expired in Oct).  I got pulled over and they guy let me get off with a $50 sticker violation.  Hell, he could have towed my car and cuffed me.  I must be very charming or very lucky.  I'll go with lucky.  :lol:

And yes, my business paid the bill, of course.  It's completely legitimate, at  least in my mind.  I was speeding because it was 10:30 and I was working real late.  I was in a hurry to see my family!  :lol:

And speaking of your radar detector experience, that brought back memories for me.  I remember how paranoid I was with that damn thing.  Every automatic door opener at every grocery store would set it off.  :pullover:  I'm sure the new ones are better, but the false alarms that I got drove me nuts.
Dude, you are pretty lucky to get off with a $50 sticker violation, rather than being cuffed and ending up in a jail overnight using soap-on-a-rope.  :lol:

I agree with you on the radar detectors.  They just don't do it for me.  Also, I find speeding more fun when there is that element of risk to it.  I know it sounds perverse, but if I think I'm guaranteed not to get nailed, a lot of the fun goes out of it for me.  It's about the risk-taking as much as the sensation of speed, at least for me.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

saxonyron

QuoteDude, you are pretty lucky to get off with a $50 sticker violation, rather than being cuffed and ending up in a jail overnight using soap-on-a-rope.  :lol:

I agree with you on the radar detectors.  They just don't do it for me.  Also, I find speeding more fun when there is that element of risk to it.  I know it sounds perverse, but if I think I'm guaranteed not to get nailed, a lot of the fun goes out of it for me.  It's about the risk-taking as much as the sensation of speed, at least for me.
:rockon:

I know just what you mean!  There's something smugly satisfying about reading the road and slowing down just before a trap.  And also knowing that one day (hopefully not soon) you're gonna get caught with your guard down and get bagged.  Then it's all about the defense.  Sick, I agree, but it's that pure visceral thrill that would keep cowboys coming back for yet another cattle drive....or maybe not.  :blink:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

QuoteDude, you are pretty lucky to get off with a $50 sticker violation, rather than being cuffed and ending up in a jail overnight using soap-on-a-rope.? :lol:

I agree with you on the radar detectors.? They just don't do it for me.? Also, I find speeding more fun when there is that element of risk to it.? I know it sounds perverse, but if I think I'm guaranteed not to get nailed, a lot of the fun goes out of it for me.? It's about the risk-taking as much as the sensation of speed, at least for me.
:rockon:

I know just what you mean!  There's something smugly satisfying about reading the road and slowing down just before a trap.  And also knowing that one day (hopefully not soon) you're gonna get caught with your guard down and get bagged.  Then it's all about the defense.  Sick, I agree, but it's that pure visceral thrill that would keep cowboys coming back for yet another cattle drive....or maybe not.  :blink:
Hah Ron, I'm glad to see I'm not the only guy who thinks this way.

You're right about the defense after getting a ticket too.  I find it a lot of fun to game the system, and end up with a sharply reduced penalty when I know I am guilty as hell.  The whole experience has always been comical to me.

dazzleman

I found out yesterday that a guy I know currently has 6 tickets against him pending.

He got 5 of them in one stop, and the other separately.

saxonyron

QuoteI found out yesterday that a guy I know currently has 6 tickets against him pending.

Does he look like the deer on the left??  :lol:  :lol:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

QuoteI found out yesterday that a guy I know currently has 6 tickets against him pending.

Does he look like the deer on the left??  :lol:  :lol:

:lol:  :lol:

In one case, I really think the cop is a bad egg.  I don't say that often, but the story he described made it sound as if the cop just targeted him, tailgated him for miles in an unmarked car, and then when he finally decided to get away from a guy that he thought was harassing him on the road by changing lanes and speeding up significantly, the cop pulled him over and gave him 5 tickets.

The other ticket was just routine speeding, and one that I'm sure he well deserved.

saxonyron

:lol:  :lol:

In one case, I really think the cop is a bad egg.  I don't say that often, but the story he described made it sound as if the cop just targeted him, tailgated him for miles in an unmarked car, and then when he finally decided to get away from a guy that he thought was harassing him on the road by changing lanes and speeding up significantly, the cop pulled him over and gave him 5 tickets.

The other ticket was just routine speeding, and one that I'm sure he well deserved.
Wow - sounds like a classic case of entrapment, AKA "NIGYYSOB".  ("Now I got you, you Son of a Bitch!")  I hate that!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

:lol:  :lol:

In one case, I really think the cop is a bad egg.  I don't say that often, but the story he described made it sound as if the cop just targeted him, tailgated him for miles in an unmarked car, and then when he finally decided to get away from a guy that he thought was harassing him on the road by changing lanes and speeding up significantly, the cop pulled him over and gave him 5 tickets.

Wow - sounds like a classic case of entrapment, AKA "NIGYYSOB".  ("Now I got you, you Son of a Bitch!")  I hate that!
Yeah, normally I take the side of the police officer, and I'm very reluctant to believe stories of entrapment by people who have gotten themselves into legal trouble.

But this is one case where it could really be true.

dazzleman

I had a couple of hours free this afternoon, so I went out for a joyride in my new ride.  It's actually only the second real joyride I've gone on in it of any length since I got it, because my schedule has been so busy.

The traffic was not too heavy, but there are so many a$@holes who unnecessarily block the left lane. I don't mind people in the left lane if they're passing, or if the traffic is heavy, but when it's light and you're not passing, move the f%#k over.

In any case, I broke 100 mph in this car for the first time.  It felt great to see the needle on the speedometer move to triple digits.  I couldn't keep it up that far for too long because of traffic, but I averaged 75 mph on the highway part of the trip.

No ticket, though, thankfully.  I didn't see a single cop on the whole ride.  So the winner of this pool is still an unknown.

Could it be Foote?  Or maybe Sax?  J86 is a good bet, as is Raza.  Maybe Turbo Dan.  I'm at the edge of my seat wondering who it's going to be.... :lol:  :rockon:  

J86

Quote.

Could it be Foote?  Or maybe Sax?  J86 is a good bet, as is Raza.  Maybe Turbo Dan.  I'm at the edge of my seat wondering who it's going to be.... :lol:  :rockon:
I don't know if I should be insulted or honored... :lol:

Taught two friends how to drive stick last night- car still running!  I did make sure to clean out any cobwebs today though... :P  

dazzleman

Quote.

Could it be Foote?  Or maybe Sax?  J86 is a good bet, as is Raza.  Maybe Turbo Dan.  I'm at the edge of my seat wondering who it's going to be.... :lol:  :rockon:

Taught two friends how to drive stick last night- car still running!  I did make sure to clean out any cobwebs today though... :P
Hey man, what was the required speed to 'clean out the cobwebs?'

As far as being insulted or honored, you know the answer on that one, buddy.  It's a high honor to be mentioned in such a capacity.  Savor the great honor of the moment for as long as you can... :lol:

Are your friends guys or girls?  If they're guys, I'm surprised they don't already know how to drive a stick.

saxonyron

QuoteI had a couple of hours free this afternoon, so I went out for a joyride in my new ride.  It's actually only the second real joyride I've gone on in it of any length since I got it, because my schedule has been so busy.

The traffic was not too heavy, but there are so many a$@holes who unnecessarily block the left lane. I don't mind people in the left lane if they're passing, or if the traffic is heavy, but when it's light and you're not passing, move the f%#k over.

In any case, I broke 100 mph in this car for the first time.  It felt great to see the needle on the speedometer move to triple digits.  I couldn't keep it up that far for too long because of traffic, but I averaged 75 mph on the highway part of the trip.

No ticket, though, thankfully.  I didn't see a single cop on the whole ride.  So the winner of this pool is still an unknown.

:ph34r:  :lol: Nice move D-Man!  You finally ran the car in the way the Good Lord intended!  Amazing how frustrating the left lane rolling roadblocks are, isn't it?  We gotta mount a small 50 cal machine gun to our grilles and give those types a few short bursts.  That ought to get their attention!

As far as the next ticket goes, I think it might be Raza - he's been strangely silent this week.  He probably got busted badly and is in stir. For some reason, we weren't his one call!   :(  :lol:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

Quote:ph34r:  :lol: Nice move D-Man!  You finally ran the car in the way the Good Lord intended!  Amazing how frustrating the left lane rolling roadblocks are, isn't it?  We gotta mount a small 50 cal machine gun to our grilles and give those types a few short bursts.  That ought to get their attention!

As far as the next ticket goes, I think it might be Raza - he's been strangely silent this week.  He probably got busted badly and is in stir. For some reason, we weren't his one call!   :(  :lol:
I can't imagine why Raza wouldn't make us his one call if he got busted... :lol:  

L. ed foote

QuoteAre your friends guys or girls?  If they're guys, I'm surprised they don't already know how to drive a stick.
Around here?  You'd be suprised.  Lot of slushboxes in the metro NY area.  
Member, Self Preservation Society

J86

Quote.

Could it be Foote?? Or maybe Sax?? J86 is a good bet, as is Raza.? Maybe Turbo Dan.? I'm at the edge of my seat wondering who it's going to be.... :lol:? :rockon:

Hey man, what was the required speed to 'clean out the cobwebs?'

As far as being insulted or honored, you know the answer on that one, buddy.  It's a high honor to be mentioned in such a capacity.  Savor the great honor of the moment for as long as you can... :lol:

Are your friends guys or girls?  If they're guys, I'm surprised they don't already know how to drive a stick.
Guys.  It's amazing how few people learn to drive them.  Part of the allure, for me.  Of course, now all one of my friends wants to do is drive my car...

Oh, speed was 'sufficient'. :lol:   I really can't do a top speed run yet, my brakes are in terrible shape.  I have new discs, but I'm not putting them on until after school is out.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

What harm can come to a car if you let a friend learn stick (and fail a few times)?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Run Away

A worn clutch.

I suppose doing 3000rpm launches all the time has the same effect though. :ph34r:

Oh well, I change them myself pretty easily now, and they're cheap.

Tom

QuoteA worn clutch.

I suppose doing 3000rpm launches all the time has the same effect though. :ph34r:

Oh well, I change them myself pretty easily now, and they're cheap.
And it's not like it does anything to the tires on a Prelude...just kidding :P  

Run Away

Whatchu talking about foo?

Preludes, when dyno'd, put down more torque than hp. :praise:

dazzleman

QuoteAlmost.  Twice.
You slipped away from the clutches of those nasty LEOs two more times, Raza.  You've got nothing to complain about, man.

Sax and I were speculating that you may have gotten badly busted this week, but I guess we were wrong.  That's too bad.... :lol:  

saxonyron

QuoteWhat harm can come to a car if you let a friend learn stick (and fail a few times)?
A couple of stalls should be no big deal.  Just be careful if they over-rev and smoke the clutch.  IMO, once you smell essence d' clutch wafting into the cockpit, classtime is over. My asshat brother-in-law blew a perfectly good clutch on my A6 a few years back by excessively feathering the clutch (I'm guessing at redline or so).  The clutch literally blew up splattering clutch bits all over the flywheel, housing, etc. Gotta love family.  The only benefit from that episode was that under no circumstances do I lend any of my brothers in law anything - no one even asks any more.  They understand the clutch situation and its impact on their ability to mooch off of me.   :rolleyes:  I'm still waiting for my $1,000 reimbursement.   :rage:

Just be careful.  If the "student" doesn't seem to be getting it and beats the hell out of the car again and again, tell them they maybe are cut out for knitting.  I pretty much figured out clutches after a few launches of an old Audi Fox wagon in my driveway.  I'm sure others on this board will echo the same thing.  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

QuoteAlmost.  Twice.
You slipped away from the clutches of those nasty LEOs two more times, Raza.  You've got nothing to complain about, man.

Sax and I were speculating that you may have gotten badly busted this week, but I guess we were wrong.  That's too bad.... :lol:
Raza's not in stir?  I had my money on that for sure!  :lol:  Glad your back, Raza.   I miss your jabs!  :rockon:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

QuoteAlmost.? Twice.

Raza's not in stir?  I had my money on that for sure!  :lol:  Glad your back, Raza.   I miss your jabs!  :rockon:
I'm glad he's back too, but I'm a little disappointed that he doesn't appear to have a more harrowing story to tell about a really bad run-in with those evil LEOs.  :lol:  

Raza

QuoteAlmost.  Twice.

It was a good bet on me, since I had 500 miles over the weekend, mostly highway.  Both times I was doing 75 in a 65, one time the cop just flew by me like I was invisible, the other time, the cozzer lit up, went after me, and snagged someone else instead, like I was invisible.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

QuoteAlmost.? Twice.

It was a good bet on me, since I had 500 miles over the weekend, mostly highway.  Both times I was doing 75 in a 65, one time the cop just flew by me like I was invisible, the other time, the cozzer lit up, went after me, and snagged someone else instead, like I was invisible.
75 in a 65?  That's all?  And you're on here saying you almost got busted, man.  Most cops wouldn't even give you a second look for such a lame violation... :lol:  The guy that lit up for you was probably toying with you, just trying to make you crap in your pants on his way to going after a real speeder.  :pullover:

I'm really disappointed, and I'm sure Ron will be too.  I was expecting a lot more out of you than that, Raza.  :rockon:

saxonyron

Quote75 in a 65?  That's all?  And you're on here saying you almost got busted, man.  Most cops wouldn't even give you a second look for such a lame violation... :lol:  The guy that lit up for you was probably toying with you, just trying to make you crap in your pants on his way to going after a real speeder.  :pullover:

I'm really disappointed, and I'm sure Ron will be too.  I was expecting a lot more out of you than that, Raza.  :rockon:
75? Only 10  over?  Hardly the stuff a felon's dreams are made of!  You sure you weren't being a rolling roadblock?   :lol:

Next guy on this board with a ticket had better be doubling the posted speed! At the very least!  Raza, I still like you...just maybe not as much as before!  :devil:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

QuoteAlmost.  Twice.

75 in a 65?  That's all?  And you're on here saying you almost got busted, man.  Most cops wouldn't even give you a second look for such a lame violation... :lol:  The guy that lit up for you was probably toying with you, just trying to make you crap in your pants on his way to going after a real speeder.  :pullover:

Hey, hey...it's a damn long trip.  Keeping to 10 over, I get between 29 and 31mpg, make good time, and stay invisible.  

In a 210 mile trip over the PA Turnpike, passing through hick towns with hick cops, I'm not looking to get arrested.  

It was a marathon, not a sprint.  I have to pace myself.  I still have the points for my 70 in a 35 on my license.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i