Charger Hemi Police

Started by Catman, March 30, 2006, 04:21:10 PM

Catman

I attended a Law Enforcement Expo today.  I got there early and noticed the Magnum sitting there right away.  While I was speaking to the sales rep he suggested I give the Charger a drive.   There were a few people putting it through its paces and it was due back shortly.  I waited about ten minutes when the Charger pictured above turned the corner occupied by three plain clothed officers wearing huge grins.  I signed the waiver, took the keys and jumped in.  A guy from another department grabbed the shotgun position.

When I fist jumped in it felt weird because the the door sills and cowl are so high compared to the CVPI.  It actually feels like your in a vault.  Visibility is diminished to an extent but the weird feeling disappeared in minutes.  The back seat is a little on the tight side but certainly acceptable (better than the Impala).  Headroom, leg room, shoulder room and hip room were perfectly adequate for me and I found the actual driving position better than the CVPI.  The column shifter is like an afterthought but who cares the Hemi was calling me... :praise:

We pulled out of the lot and headed for the highway.  Any feeling of weirdness was totally gone as I pulled out of the lot.  My new partner says, "Dude if you want to do some doughnuts in it I won't tell anyone".  I pull onto the on ramp and punch it.  This motor is all torque.  No neck snapping shifts just a huge amount of linear power that pushed you back in the seat.  I suspect the final gear is a bit higher than the civilian model.  Shortly after putting the hammer down the needle was at 100.  We got in the left lane and I asked my passenger if he felt like we were doing 100.  "Nope", was the answer, cool as could be.  I punched it and 130 was right there.  I asked, "How about that"?  My passenger was amazed how uneventful it was.  There was plenty of more power on tap but that was enough fun for today.  The sales guy told me that the car is limited to 149.  In my opinion it could do a lot more.  I would guess over 160.  

Handling is rock solid.  No drifting, wagging or any type of instability whatsoever.  Exit ramps are a joke, it would take a lot of wheel to hear the tires squealing in this thing.  brakes are fantastic.

We're very curious to see how this car holds up over the long haul.  If it proves durable I suspect the sales numbers will increase accordingly.  The car is leagues better than the CVPI in almost every performance dynamic.  It makes the CVPI feel like a horse drawn carriage.

ifcar

How easy would it be to put someone into that rear seat if they're fighting back? There doesn't appear to be (in your pic) much leg or any foot space.

cozmik

QuoteHow easy would it be to put someone into that rear seat if they're fighting back? There doesn't appear to be (in your pic) much leg or any foot space.
They're criminals, who cares if they are comfortable or easy for them? We don't provide them with silk sheets in prison either. They will fit that's all that matters. If they are fighting back, it doesn't matter how big that space is anyways. It will be tough no matter what.

And Catman, I believe the column shifter is an afterthought. I think it is an afermarket design. Civi versions only have comsole shifters.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Catman

QuoteHow easy would it be to put someone into that rear seat if they're fighting back? There doesn't appear to be (in your pic) much leg or any foot space.
The CVPI is actually very similar in that regard.  We replaced all the factory seats with injected molded plastic ones.  They provide for more room.  The best alternative I can think of if you're going to transport with it is to put in a half cage on the passenger side.  That way you can put the passenger seat a little more forward and keep the space behind the operator clear.

Run Away

Now they just need some police Mustangs, eh?  

Catman

They're criminals, who cares if they are comfortable or easy for them? We don't provide them with silk sheets in prison either. They will fit that's all that matters. If they are fighting back, it doesn't matter how big that space is anyways. It will be tough no matter what.

And Catman, I believe the column shifter is an afterthought. I think it is an afermarket design. Civi versions only have comsole shifters.
Yeah, now that I think about it Dodge delayed the launch so they could design that shifter.  It's actually solid just shaped funny.

Catman

QuoteNow they just need some police Mustangs, eh?
There's no need now.....

Run Away

Get Magnums and stick them in the hatch!

Catman

sparkplug

You'll probably see a few LEO in mustangs.  

saxonyron

Sweet!  That's one awesome bad ass ride.  Loafing along at a hundred, eh? Poking it up to 130??  :ph34r:  They must put a different final drive in there to boost that top end.  So you've got Z-rated tires in cruisers (149mph rating).  Semi-off topic, but how does that work in winter?  Most snow tires aren't Z-rated, or so I thought.  With RWD, you must need decent snows to get thru the winter (even with the CV's).  Are there special hi-speed police tires for RWD-based snows?  Hmmmmm... maybe winter is when I should start my crime spree, knowing I can outrun the law easier.  :lol:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

cozmik

Yeah, now that I think about it Dodge delayed the launch so they could design that shifter.  It's actually solid just shaped funny.
It's probably shaped odd because of the ignition location. Blocking the ignition would be bad.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Catman

QuoteSweet!  That's one awesome bad ass ride.  Loafing along at a hundred, eh? Poking it up to 130??  :ph34r:  They must put a different final drive in there to boost that top end.  So you've got Z-rated tires in cruisers (149mph rating).  Semi-off topic, but how does that work in winter?  Most snow tires aren't Z-rated, or so I thought.  With RWD, you must need decent snows to get thru the winter (even with the CV's).  Are there special hi-speed police tires for RWD-based snows?  Hmmmmm... maybe winter is when I should start my crime spree, knowing I can outrun the law easier.  :lol:
CV's can only go around 125 and I think Goodyear Ultragrips have a 130 rating.  Not sure what the Magnums are going to use.  

dazzleman

That looks like a sweet police car, Catman.

Do you have any input into the cars that the department orders?

It sounds pretty solid and powerful.  What was the back seat made of in the picture you posted?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Catman

QuoteThat looks like a sweet police car, Catman.

It sounds pretty solid and powerful.  What was the back seat made of in the picture you posted?
The Charger pic I posted has a vinyl rear seat.  As far as input, I have some.  But, I have to remember, I'm not the vehicle guy. ;)   My Chief is interested to see how they hold up.  I guess the MSP just ordered a bunch.  His big deal is fuel mileage as the bean counters are riding the shit out of him, especially when guys leave the cars idling all the time.  Curiously, according to Hounddog, the Hemi actually delivers better fuel mileage than the Ford.  If we did get these cars they'd probably be the 3.5L V6 versions which put out the same power as the Fords.

ciciusss

Catman,

I'm glad that you finally got to drive the Charger. I agree it's overall a much better vehicle than the Crown Vic. I'm also glad that you pointed out that the visibility is not that bad (This is a favorite criticism of Consumer Report's on the cars that share the LX platform). Anyway it sounds like you had some fun. :lol:  

Catman

QuoteCatman,

I'm glad that you finally got to drive the Charger. I agree it's overall a much better vehicle than the Crown Vic. I'm also glad that you pointed out that the visibility is not that bad (This is a favorite criticism of Consumer Report's on the cars that share the LX platform). Anyway it sounds like you had some fun. :lol:
I knew it would be powerful but I don't think I realized just how planted this car would be at speed.  Where the CVPI seems almost floaty and "light on its feet" at high speeds, the Charger is rock solid and very confidence inspiring.  I can't imagine a better pursuit vehicle in sedan form.

dazzleman

QuoteThat looks like a sweet police car, Catman.

It sounds pretty solid and powerful.  What was the back seat made of in the picture you posted?
The Charger pic I posted has a vinyl rear seat.  As far as input, I have some.  But, I have to remember, I'm not the vehicle guy. ;)   My Chief is interested to see how they hold up.  I guess the MSP just ordered a bunch.  His big deal is fuel mileage as the bean counters are riding the shit out of him, especially when guys leave the cars idling all the time.  Curiously, according to Hounddog, the Hemi actually delivers better fuel mileage than the Ford.  If we did get these cars they'd probably be the 3.5L V6 versions which put out the same power as the Fords.
I thought it looked like vinyl instead of hard plastic.

I've only been in the back of a police car once, a few years ago.  I had gone for a jog and gotten caught in a sudden driving rainstorm.  There was an officer driving around the neighborhood, and he was nice enough to offer me a ride home.

He was a cool guy, and we joked about how I'd never been in the back of a police car before.  I remember the hard plastic seats.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Fire It Up

QuoteCatman,

I knew it would be powerful but I don't think I realized just how planted this car would be at speed.  Where the CVPI seems almost floaty and "light on its feet" at high speeds, the Charger is rock solid and very confidence inspiring.  I can't imagine a better pursuit vehicle in sedan form.
Thats probably cause its E-Class based. Give it up for the Germans.  :praise:

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

sparkplug

The cylinder shutdown should improve the Charger fuel mileage. A total redesign for the CV would be a good thing. It's still a good car. Who'd think a 4,000 pound car would get 23 MPG, but today we expect it and demand it.

Sell your SUV's and get a Crown Victoria or a Charger.  

SVT666

There's an unmarked red Mustang GT police car here in Calgary that I have seen a couple times.  The officer driving always has a huge grin cemented on his face.

Catman, those cars are awesome.  Have you driven a stock Magnum or Charger before?  I wonder how they compare.  I have driven the Magnum RT and was quite impressed with it's handling and power considering the weight.

Catman

There's an unmarked red Mustang GT police car here in Calgary that I have seen a couple times.  The officer driving always has a huge grin cemented on his face.

Catman, those cars are awesome.  Have you driven a stock Magnum or Charger before?  I wonder how they compare.  I have driven the Magnum RT and was quite impressed with it's handling and power considering the weight.
No, that's the first one I've driven.

BTW, my chief agreed that if other agencies have decent reliability we'll look into the 3.5L Charger.  

saxonyron

QuoteNo, that's the first one I've driven.

BTW, my chief agreed that if other agencies have decent reliability we'll look into the 3.5L Charger.
Catman, you're gonna want to go back out on patrol if they pick up a few Hemis!  :rockon:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Catman

QuoteNo, that's the first one I've driven.

Catman, you're gonna want to go back out on patrol if they pick up a few Hemis!  :rockon:
Dude, I'm so busy I don't even have the opportunity to contemplate it.  Give me a call at work when you have some time and you can come see all the crap I have going on. :o  

thewizard16

Good pic! I'm not a huge fan of the Charger overall, but I think it looks great in Law Enforcement clothes.  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

thewizard16

92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

In Raza's opinion, all cops should be driving the excellent transportation device parked behind the front end of the Charger in that pic.  :P  

Catman