Finally happened

Started by L. ed foote, March 31, 2006, 02:21:47 PM

L. ed foote

A couple of days ago, I was puttering through Tarrytown, NY when I saw flashing lights in my rearview.  Yeah, I was clipping along at a decent pace, but not much faster than I normally do when driving.

Anyway, the flexpipe is almost rusted out on the Protege, which has an effect on my *ahem* "exhaust note," which was the reason I was stopped.

Well, this time I was let off with a warning to get it fixed.  I, for the life of me, cannot remember the last time I got a warning.

And I still haven't gotten it fixed. :lol:  Not because I'm being a hardass, but because I've been having a bit of a time trying to find one locally.  I may have to go through mail-order.

As for now, the 'Rocco is my daily driver  :praise:  
Member, Self Preservation Society

Run Away

Flex pipes are universal, any muffler shop can weld one in.

dazzleman

Dude, I thought you were going to declare yourself the winner of the 'next poster to get a ticket' pool that I started.  :lol:

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you got off with a warning.  The pool continues to wait for a winner.  :rockon:

It's funny how paranoid you get about cops once you get a number of tickets.  I was riding with my buddy once and, for once, he wasn't speeding, and a cop came up behind him.  He got paranoid until I pointed out that he wasn't doing wrong, and he relaxed then.  He didn't get pulled over.

Foote, how many cars do you own?  You seem to have a few, man.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

L. ed foote

QuoteFlex pipes are universal, any muffler shop can weld one in.
Nah, I'd rather unbolt it and bolt a replacement in.

Should take me all of 3 hours, and 3 times as much (after I break the manifold, and cat) instead of bringing it in.

Since I'm waiting to settle with the car wash, I don't want to pour in too much, just to have the car totalled.

dazzleman

QuoteFlex pipes are universal, any muffler shop can weld one in.
Nah, I'd rather unbolt it and bolt a replacement in.

Should take me all of 3 hours, and 3 times as much (after I break the manifold, and cat) instead of bringing it in.

Since I'm waiting to settle with the car wash, I don't want to pour in too much, just to have the car totalled.
What's going on with the car wash Foote?

I remember you saying a while back that you were getting pissed off at the runaround the guy there was giving you.

Are you any closer to resolution?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

L. ed foote

Foote, how many cars do you own?  You seem to have a few, man.
3;

1994 Mazda Protege
1985 VW Scirocco
1992 VW Jetta

All in various stages of disrepair :lol:

:praise:  

Run Away

Eh, good luck with that, I think a bolt in replacement (on my car you'd have to replace the whole downpipe to replace the flexpipe) would be more expensive than a shop welding in a generic one.
Not to mention exhaust bolts are always seized solid & rusted to crumbles.

L. ed foote

QuoteWhat's going on with the car wash Foote?

I remember you saying a while back that you were getting pissed off at the runaround the guy there was giving you.

Waiting for certified mail confirmation so I can file a claim with Mt. Vernon Small Claims Court

dazzleman

Foote, how many cars do you own?  You seem to have a few, man.
3;

1994 Mazda Protege
1985 VW Scirocco
1992 VW Jetta

You're living in Queens now, right?  I assume you're not parking all these cars on the street in Astoria.  Do you garage a couple of them with your family in Mount Vernon?

If you can do the repairs on those cars, more power to you, man.  Which is the most fun to drive?

dazzleman

Waiting for certified mail confirmation so I can file a claim with Mt. Vernon Small Claims Court
Hah, I thought you were going to go by with a couple of your buddies and rough the guy up... :lol:

A woman I used to work with was getting the runaround on something from a sleazy used car dealer a while back.  Apparently, they owed her a refund, and didn't intend to give it to her.  When they pissed her off enough, she brought a couple of male friends with her to the place, and they had baseball bats, and she said that if she didn't get her money, they'd start breaking windows on the cars in the lot.  She got her money.

L. ed foote

QuoteEh, good luck with that, I think a bolt in replacement (on my car you'd have to replace the whole downpipe to replace the flexpipe) would be more expensive than a shop welding in a generic one.
Not to mention exhaust bolts are always seized solid & rusted to crumbles.
The manifold, downpipe and cat are 3 seperate pieces, the part I'm looking for, is going to set me back about $100.

I haven't gotten under the protege, but hopefully the bolts are in as good a shape as they were in the Jetta

L. ed foote

Foote, how many cars do you own?  You seem to have a few, man.
3;

1994 Mazda Protege
1985 VW Scirocco
1992 VW Jetta

You're living in Queens now, right?  I assume you're not parking all these cars on the street in Astoria.  Do you garage a couple of them with your family in Mount Vernon?

If you can do the repairs on those cars, more power to you, man.  Which is the most fun to drive?
The 'Rocco's my DD, the Protege's parked on the street in Mt. Vernon (alternate side once a week instead of 4 times in NYC), the Jetta's in my cousin's driveway in West Haven.

I'm enjoying the 'Rocco so far, but I really liked the Jetta.

Jetta needs a shifter rebuild, a starter and a couple of motor mounts

Protege needs a flexpipe and a door.

Rocco needs a tuneup

saxonyron

Tarrytown!  Wow, no wonder you got pulled over for a loud pipe!  I was there about a year ago on business.  Talk about Sleepy Hollow! The only thing happening there was the Sleepy Hollow Cemetary.  Me and a buddy left the hotel about 9 looking for a bar to grab a couple drinks.  We passed 4 cruisers and 0 open bars.  Pretty enticing nightlife!

Good luck getting your ride fixed - if you can't find the part, my old favorite standby of a beer can and a coat hanger pretty much handled all my necessary exhaust system problems back in the day!  :rockon:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

QuoteTarrytown!  Wow, no wonder you got pulled over for a loud pipe!  I was there about a year ago on business.  Talk about Sleepy Hollow! The only thing happening there was the Sleepy Hollow Cemetary.  Me and a buddy left the hotel about 9 looking for a bar to grab a couple drinks.  We passed 4 cruisers and 0 open bars.  Pretty enticing nightlife!

Good luck getting your ride fixed - if you can't find the part, my old favorite standby of a beer can and a coat hanger pretty much handled all my necessary exhaust system problems back in the day!  :rockon:
I'm glad to hear the cruisers were out there to prevent trouble by a couple of dirtbags from the north country.... :lol:  

L. ed foote

Hah, I thought you were going to go by with a couple of your buddies and rough the guy up... :lol:
Actually that was the original plan, but maturity got the better of me.  May as well try to handle this through the proper channels; don't want to cross that point of no return unless I absolutely have to.

L. ed foote

QuoteTarrytown!  Wow, no wonder you got pulled over for a loud pipe!  I was there about a year ago on business.  Talk about Sleepy Hollow! The only thing happening there was the Sleepy Hollow Cemetary.  Me and a buddy left the hotel about 9 looking for a bar to grab a couple drinks.  We passed 4 cruisers and 0 open bars.  Pretty enticing nightlife!

heh...  N Tarrytown or Sleepy Hollow hasn't been right since the GM plant closed.

Good luck finding bars up there, If I want to imbibe, White Plains is the place to go.  Nothing else but hotel bars, and a few lounges up there.  Mid/Northern Westchester sucks!

I thought about the can (coffee in this instance) and a coathanger, but I'm trying to break myself out of doing patchwork work.  :lol:  

dazzleman

Actually that was the original plan, but maturity got the better of me.  May as well try to handle this through the proper channels; don't want to cross that point of no return unless I absolutely have to.
I hope it works out for you Foote.

Maybe you can go on one of those judge shows, like Judge Judy or Judge Mathis.  At least with that, you'd be guaranteed to get paid if you win, and you could gain some notariety that way and live out your fifteen minutes of fame... :lol: