Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Started by 93JC, April 11, 2006, 07:00:35 PM

93JC

It seemed like North America was never going to get the Mk V Golf. Turns out we really never will. Volkswagen of America is reverting the name back to, you guessed it...

Rabbit!

J86

sweet, even though rabbit is a stupid name, ill take anything over the alphanumeric soup that so many manufacturers love...

Run Away

Are they going to bring back the Fox too?

Raza

Is this a Canada only thing?  I would think Golf has more equity than Rabbit does at this point.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

QuoteAre they going to bring back the Fox too?
You must have missed the memo:

The new Fox replaced the Lupo in Europe a year or two ago.

Run Away

Fine.

How about the Quantum? (sp)

93JC

QuoteIs this a Canada only thing?
  I would think Golf has more equity than Rabbit does at this point.
No, no, no, this is a US-Canada thing.

I would think Golf has more equity than Rabbit too, but Volkswagen seems to be getting better and better at fucking themselves over.

I've heard the reason this is being done is because they're going to keep the Mk IV around for a few more years, de-content the shit out of it, and sell it as an entry-level vehicle.

Tom

Raza

QuoteIs this a Canada only thing?
  I would think Golf has more equity than Rabbit does at this point.
No, no, no, this is a US-Canada thing.

I would think Golf has more equity than Rabbit too, but Volkswagen seems to be getting better and better at fucking themselves over.

I've heard the reason this is being done is because they're going to keep the Mk IV around for a few more years, de-content the shit out of it, and sell it as an entry-level vehicle.
I hate to sound so unconvinced, but where did you hear this?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteVW!
Oh cock.

?The Rabbit was always exclusive to the U.S. and Canadian markets; while the rest of the world had the Golf, we had the iconic Rabbit,? said Volkswagen?s Director of Brand Innovation, Kerri Martin. ?The reintroduction of the Rabbit represents Volkswagen?s commitment to this market and is a nod to the passionate North American enthusiasts who have an emotional connection with the Rabbit name.?

Well, they've won me.  It's still the Golf GTI though, right?  Or is the 2007 Golf GTI going  to be the Rabbit GTI?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

Raza

QuoteIt's just GTI.
No kidding.  Prior to the NA launch, I thought they were calling it the Golf GTI.

Are we going to get a Rabbit R32 as well?  Because that car looks brilliant.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

Beats the hell out of me; up here in Soviet Canuckistan we never got the R32.

Raza

QuoteBeats the hell out of me; up here in Soviet Canuckistan we never got the R32.
With the last model, you didn't miss too much (the time on the Top Gear track was a dismal 1' 33") but the new one, though heavier and not more powerful, is much faster and better handling.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Run Away

Anyone else think this rear view looks terrible?

The rear bumper, where it curves around and flares for the wheel well.

That's what happens when you design cars on a computer.

93JC

Raza

I've rather warmed to the new GTI design.  Even though it's true that the 5 door does look better.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Run Away

QuoteHuh?
The big flat areas and rounded blob corners.
The color makes it alot worse, but just the general angles and concave/convex shapes that are a result of a computerized design.

93JC

Have you been into the hashish again?

ifcar

"And, yesterday, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) announced that the 2006 Rabbit four-door received the Top Safety Pick, Silver award, based on the Institute?s frontal offset, side impact, and rear crash protection ratings."

Unless they're renaming the Jetta, no it didn't.  

ifcar

According to The Car Connection, this will start at $14,990. Finally, a VW that isn't outlandishly expensive (that's still not cheap, of course).

Raza

Quote"And, yesterday, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) announced that the 2006 Rabbit four-door received the Top Safety Pick, Silver award, based on the Institute?s frontal offset, side impact, and rear crash protection ratings."

To whom are you replying?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

...........Rabbit?

...........Excuse me while I go snort with laughter :lol:

'Oh yes, yes Al. I've just bought a lovely new car. Roomy, nimble, good economy, pretty quick. Built like Knox. '
'Hey, nice work! What did you get?'
'A Rabbit'

'.............the fuck?'

:lol:

Raza

Quote...........

...........Rabbit?

...........Excuse me while I go snort with laughter :lol:

'Oh yes, yes Al. I've just bought a lovely new car. Roomy, nimble, good economy, pretty quick. Built like Knox. '
'Hey, nice work! What did you get?'
'A Rabbit'

'.............the fuck?'

:lol:
It makes as much sense as Golf, at least.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Fire It Up

QuoteVW!
Oh cock.

?The Rabbit was always exclusive to the U.S. and Canadian markets; while the rest of the world had the Golf, we had the iconic Rabbit,? said Volkswagen?s Director of Brand Innovation, Kerri Martin. ?The reintroduction of the Rabbit represents Volkswagen?s commitment to this market and is a nod to the passionate North American enthusiasts who have an emotional connection with the Rabbit name.?

Well, they've won me.  It's still the Golf GTI though, right?  Or is the 2007 Golf GTI going  to be the Rabbit GTI?
Somebodys been watching too much Top Gear!

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Fire It Up

I think instead of going back to Rabbit, they should have just called it "The Bunny."

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

ifcar

Quote"And, yesterday, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) announced that the 2006 Rabbit four-door received the Top Safety Pick, Silver award, based on the Institute?s frontal offset, side impact, and rear crash protection ratings."

It's from the press release that was linked to.  

Raza

Well if they use the same system as the last Golf and keep the Rabbit a five door, it could certainly be the "four door" they tested.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Well if they use the same system as the last Golf and keep the Rabbit a five door, it could certainly be the "four door" they tested.
I have no idea what you're trying to say. <_<