What should I do??

Started by NomisR, April 17, 2006, 03:37:06 PM

NomisR

Ok, so here's what happened.

Back in October, I got a ticket for speeding, 61 in a 40mph zone.  But then again, the condition of the road was more suitable for 55+ mph but that's another story.  

Anyways, I made an extention on court date and by the time the extention date came, I went to the court and they didn't any tickets on my license.  I lost my citation so I couldn't check it.   They did some searching, couldn't find it so left and forgot about it.

A month later, I received this letter saying I missed my court date and I owe $700 something in bail.  I think great!  but now I looked closely, I saw that they had my driver's license number wrong but they had my license plate on it though.  If I ignore it, would anything happen as this isn't really on my driving record?

dazzleman

What state do you live in?

First off, you should call the court immediately and explain your situation.  They need to understand that you made an attempt to answer the ticket, and are not just ignoring it.  This happened to me once; I mailed my ticket in, and they lost it and accused me of not answering it, and threatened to suspend my license.

I suggest you ask a lawyer.  Depending upon the state, tickets can be thrown out for a material mistake or error on the ticket.  An incorrect license number may be considered material, but you're better asking somebody who knows the system well.

If it is considered material, then you should petition to throw the ticket out for that reason, rather than ignore it.

My philosophy is -- it's no big deal to get a ticket every so often, but always deal with the ticket, because if you don't the consequences are far worse than just sucking up the penalties.  You don't want a suspended license, higher insurance rates, penalties, etc., if that can be avoided.

Good luck.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Catman

I agree with Dazzle.  If you ignore it and don't pay the fine your license will be suspended.

NomisR

Hmm... ok.. so even if they don't have my driver's license information, they can still get me?

Got my new insurance bill and it doesn't seem to show up..

Rupert

They know where you live, yeah? Yer name? Then, yes, they can get you. If you explain the whole thing, they'll probably have some mercy...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

NomisR

So how should i go about explaining it to them?

IrishGuy

QuoteSo how should i go about explaining it to them?
QuoteBack in October, I got a ticket for speeding, 61 in a 40mph zone.

Anyways, I made an extention on court date and by the time the extention date came, I went to the court and they didn't any tickets on my license. I lost my citation so I couldn't check it. They did some searching, couldn't find it so left and forgot about it.

A month later, I received this letter saying I missed my court date and I owe $700 something in bail. I think great! but now I looked closely, I saw that they had my driver's license number wrong but they had my license plate on it though.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

dazzleman

QuoteHmm... ok.. so even if they don't have my driver's license information, they can still get me?

Dude, it's too soon for it to show up on your insurance.  But if they suspend your license, you could be in big trouble with your insurance, so I suggest you fix this ASAP.

It's a lot smarter to accept a nominal penalty than to end up with a greater penalty in order to avoid a nominal one.

Talk to a lawyer about whether you can get the ticket dismissed because of the error.  If you can't, then go to court and settle it.  It's really not that complicated.  I think you may be yanking our chain here.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Catman

QuoteHmm... ok.. so even if they don't have my driver's license information, they can still get me?

You realize it only takes a few seconds to get license info right?  Your license info is available simply by running your plate.  There are many other ways also that are just as easy.  

TurboDan

I'd say just call up the court's clerk and explain the situation.  If he/she can't handle it, they'll tell you to get in touch with the prosecutor.  This kinda thing happens, so they know how to deal with it.

sparkplug

I second, third, and fourth the above. Then I plead the fifth.  :rockon: