***1939 Mercedes-Benz 540K "Spezial Roadster"

Started by cawimmer430, April 20, 2006, 06:37:09 AM

cawimmer430

You're looking at one of the rarest of the rare Mercedes-Benz ever made - and a personal favorite of mine. The 540K Spezial Roadster pictures here is a masterpiece of 1930s German engineering. Although there were many 500K and 540K variants, the car you see below is a "Special Roadster" version. Built precisely 447 times since 1936 until 1939. Out of these 447, 25 were "Spezial Roadsters" Cabriolet B, like the one below - 7 of which are known to survive today! All of them were coach built by hand. Most of them perished in Germany during the Second World War sadly. Many Nazi officials owned them. Hermann Goering, chief of the Luftwaffe, was known to have had one as is known.

Under the hood is a 5.4-l straight-8 engine with a Kompressor (the "K" after "540"), which kicked in automatically when the accelerator was depressed at higher speeds. This was to ensure safe overtaking. The British magazine "Mercedes Enthusiast", which I subscribe to had a big long review on these babies, hence I know a thing or two about them. I believe top speed was well over 170 km/h (106 mph) - amazing for a car back then! I believe horsepower was 180-hp - a lot back then!

What makes this car so special is that it is in RHD! These cars were predominantly built for LHD markets, and not to many people in Britain bought Mercedes' cars back in the 1930s. This could be the only RHD 540K Cabriolet B ever made for all I know! If it is, you're looking at an extremely rare - and PRICELESS car!

Link: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures...l?id=2107332160

If you've been to the Mercedes-Benz Museum in Stuttgart, you can see a similar 540K in red on display: the former car of EVITA PERON.  :rockon:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

omicron

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Colonel Cadillac

CWW

Hard to top. Perhaps the most beautiful car ever build.

Just finished this, which is a bit blasphemic...

>> Mercedes 550K <<

PS:  Du hast da die kurze Version aufgenommen. Sensationell! Hast Du die Bilder in voller Aufl?sung?

Raza

QuoteHard to top. Perhaps the most beautiful car ever build.

>> Mercedes 550K <<

PS:  Du hast da die kurze Version aufgenommen. Sensationell! Hast Du die Bilder in voller Aufl?sung?
It's like a German Morgan.  Brilliant!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

That car is absolutely gorgeous!  Nice find! B)

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

JYODER240

Why do they have it outside in the rain :blink:  

BMWDave

QuoteWhy do they have it outside in the rain :blink:
The car isnt going to melt ;)  :wave:  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

mazda6er

Imagine the terror if Jordan saw them *gasp* washing it! :o :lol:
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

JYODER240

Don't you have a pole to hit?   :devil:  :lol:  

mazda6er

Don't you have a pole to hit?   :devil:  :lol:
I'm way ahead of you my friend.  :praise:  :lol:  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

saxonyron

Stunning find, Christian!  That interior is amazing.  (Note center instrument cluster.  I guess Toyota wasn't the first with that idea.)

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Autobahn

Wow Christian!

Absolutely gorgeous! I know "her" LHD brother from the Mercedes-Benz Museum. These cars are real monsters. I also experienced one driving at the MB Classic days some time back.
Imagine something like that in black turned up behind you in 1939.
No wonder the Nazi bastards liked this car, it's intimidating like their whole philosophy.

But the car's presence is not only intimidating but also very elegant. If you compare the interior to a current SL's (which admitedly has to find space for all the gizmo's) -> I surely know who the winner is!

But Christian: It must be the "Classic" taxi version! Why? No power anything and not even A/C  :lol:

I guess it came with a "wheel cleaner" who just had to clean the wheels all day   :lol:

:rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  

cawimmer430

QuoteHard to top. Perhaps the most beautiful car ever build.

>> Mercedes 550K <<

Hi, habe Dir eben eine e-Mail geschrieben. Werde Dir die Bilder Morgen ?bermitteln.  ;)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

They were cleaning out their showroom and hence parked a lot of classics out on the street. Will post those pictures much later on C&D and of course provide the link.  ;)  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

QuoteStunning find, Christian!  That interior is amazing.  (Note center instrument cluster.  I guess Toyota wasn't the first with that idea.)
Danke.  :praise:

Center speedos were fairly common on all cars from this period if I remember correctly. You need to visit the German Car Museum in Amerang next time you're in Germany. Luckily, Wimmer has a photo album of it.  :lol:

Link: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures...l?id=2120734654

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

QuoteWow Christian!

Absolutely gorgeous! I know "her" LHD brother from the Mercedes-Benz Museum. These cars are real monsters. I also experienced one driving at the MB Classic days some time back.
Imagine something like that in black turned up behind you in 1939.
No wonder the Nazi bastards liked this car, it's intimidating like their whole philosophy.

But the car's presence is not only intimidating but also very elegant. If you compare the interior to a current SL's (which admitedly has to find space for all the gizmo's) -> I surely know who the winner is!

But Christian: It must be the "Classic" taxi version! Why? No power anything and not even A/C  :lol:

I guess it came with a "wheel cleaner" who just had to clean the wheels all day   :lol:

:rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:
Yep.  :praise:

The one in the Mercedes museum took my breath away the first time I saw it. Simply amazing and that red color radiated so much aura and power. It was truly an experience in its own right.  B)

Oh yeah, cleaning the wheels must be "a lot of fun". Hopefully, if I get a job at Mercedes starting out small, it will be cleaning those wheels.  :lol:  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

oilfilter

If I may say so, that is one fucking hot car. B)

autom?vel

Oh man Christian, awesome car.  You're the man.
?Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.?
          -  Teddy Roosevelt

cawimmer430

If I may say so, that is one fucking hot car. B)
You may.  :lol:  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

QuoteOh man Christian, awesome car.  You're the man.
Danke.  :praise:  

www.wimmerfotografie.de