2006 Dodge Charger Police Car: A Test Drive!

Started by Atomic, May 12, 2006, 05:16:25 PM

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Atomic

Quote from: IrishGuy on September 17, 2006, 09:22:40 AM
If I remember correctly the Albany Police Dept. has a Charger. It's pretty sweet looking.

albany, ny?

The Pirate

Quote from: Atomic on September 17, 2006, 05:33:07 PM
albany, ny?

Yep, my brother goes to school at SUNY Albany, I saw one when I was up visiting him recently.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Atomic

Quote from: The Pirate on September 17, 2006, 06:11:32 PM

Yep, my brother goes to school at SUNY Albany, I saw one when I was up visiting him recently.

cool! great school.

rumor has it that nys will replace their ford crown victoria interceptors with dodge hemi v8 chargers and either 6 or 8 cylinder magnums. however, i have yet to receive confirmation. i am seeing plenty of dodge ram pick-ups.

any news, catman? others?

Catman

Quote from: Atomic on September 18, 2006, 05:16:44 PM
cool! great school.

rumor has it that nys will replace their ford crown victoria interceptors with dodge hemi v8 chargers and either 6 or 8 cylinder magnums. however, i have yet to receive confirmation. i am seeing plenty of dodge ram pick-ups.

There will be no news from my department until after Oct town meeting.

The Pirate

Quote from: Atomic on September 18, 2006, 05:16:44 PM
cool! great school.

Most of the troopers around here drive Tahoes and the occasional Expedition, if it were me, I would rather be in the Charger or Magnum.  The sheriffs around here always had some Crown Vics, a good number of Tahoes, and every now then a Ford SuperDuty truck thrown in the mix.  Although, just between today and yesterday, I've seen three new Impalas driven by the local deputies.  I must say that the new Impala looks quite nice with the dual exhaust and black steelies. 

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TBR

Around here we just have CVs, F-150s, and an occassional K9 Explorer or Expedition.

Raza

At home, in my local PD, we have mostly Yukons and Tahoes.  A couple of unmarked Impalas (one green, one black) and one unmarked Grand Marquis (gold).  In surrounding PDs, we have one Impala, marked, whose job is to patrol a few in-town streets for speeders, and mostly CVs.  Another one has Explorers and CVs.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

Calgary Police Service now has Charger cruisers to complement their Crown Victoria Police Interceptors and Chevrolet Impalas. I've seen two already.

Haven't seen the Impalas in a while though. Maybe they got rid of 'em.

Catman

Quote from: 93JC on September 20, 2006, 10:39:05 AM
Calgary Police Service now has Charger cruisers to complement their Crown Victoria Police Interceptors and Chevrolet Impalas. I've seen two already.

Haven't seen the Impalas in a while though. Maybe they got rid of 'em.

Most likely, they really aren't cutting it for most depts.  I went to Medford Police, MA one day on business and noticed they had some Impalas.  When I asked the Capt how they liked them he became enraged and was still yelling after I walked outside. :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

dazzleman

Quote from: Catman on September 20, 2006, 05:16:41 PM
Most likely, they really aren't cutting it for most depts.? I went to Medford Police, MA one day on business and noticed they had some Impalas.? When I asked the Capt how they liked them he became enraged and was still yelling after I walked outside. :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

Do you know what their deficiencies are, Catman?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Catman

Quote from: dazzleman on September 20, 2006, 07:34:31 PM
Do you know what their deficiencies are, Catman?

The list was long and he kept yelling so I really didn't catch it all.  It was like, "Growl growl growl transmission growl grown catalytic converter growl growl radiator growl growl growl front ends growl..............".

TBR

I imagine they are also quite a bit slower than the Fords and aren't any cheaper. I don't know why a PD would buy them.

The Pirate

Quote from: Catman on September 20, 2006, 07:37:03 PM
The list was long and he kept yelling so I really didn't catch it all.  It was like, "Growl growl growl transmission growl grown catalytic converter growl growl radiator growl growl growl front ends growl..............".

Isn't being FWD historically an achilles heel for police vehicles?  Most of the police vehicles around here have an obvious dent in the front bumper from where the car jumped a curb or something.  I would think that the CV would deal with that scenario much better than any FWD vehicle, not to mention body on frame vs. unibody.  It will be interesting to see how the Charger holds up in that respect, as it's unibody.  It's definitely got bragging rights in a pursuit setting, but the police vehicles around here seem to be subjected to potholes, curbs, and off roading much more frequently than they see high speed duty.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza on September 12, 2006, 05:11:05 AM
I'd just gotten my haircut (since I've been going to the same barbershop for nigh a decade, they let me stick around long if I'm running late) and? it was pretty late and I walked out to my Mercedes, saw the cop, and he startled me.? So I reached for the handle of my car and it didn't open, since I didn't unlock it.? I was just standing there, and the cop stopped his car and looked over at me, like he was going to get out of the car.? Then I hit unlock on the key, the hazards flashed, and I waved to him and got in.

Everyone around my car stares at me when I get into the car and drive. I know I don't look older than my age but in a month I'll be able to legally drive by myself...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

IrishGuy

2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

hounddog

Quote from: TBR on September 20, 2006, 08:01:12 PM
I imagine they are also quite a bit slower than the Fords and aren't any cheaper. I don't know why a PD would buy them.
Surprisingly enough, with the new 3.9l the Impala puts up some impressive numbers.  At least if you compare it to the CVPI.  It beats the ford in every acceleration tests, it gets to 110 and 120 in less distance by almost 3/10's of a mile quicker, and it has a top speed of 142 to Fords best of 128.  Plus they perform much better in the brake tests than the CVPI.   They seem to lack in the road course, where they end up trailing the CVPI and the Charger v6 by a couple seconds.  But, they are about $18,500 and get about 23mpg overall on patrol.   But overall, I agree, I can not see any reason for a department to buy one.  If you need economy buy the v6 Charger.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Catman

Quote from: hounddog on September 23, 2006, 05:16:24 AM
Surprisingly enough, with the new 3.9l the Impala puts up some impressive numbers.  At least if you compare it to the CVPI.  It beats the ford in every acceleration tests, it gets to 110 and 120 in less distance by almost 3/10's of a mile quicker, and it has a top speed of 142 to Fords best of 128.  Plus they perform much better in the brake tests than the CVPI.   They seem to lack in the road course, where they end up trailing the CVPI and the Charger v6 by a couple seconds.  But, they are about $18,500 and get about 23mpg overall on patrol.   But overall, I agree, I can not see any reason for a department to buy one.  If you need economy buy the v6 Charger.

Nice to see you here Hounddog!  We're probably getting a couple V6 Chargers for the traffic division.

hounddog

Quote from: Catman on September 23, 2006, 05:18:00 AM
Nice to see you here Hounddog!? We're probably getting a couple V6 Chargers for the traffic division.
Thanks.  Been back in the hospital with mini stroke.  Doing better than last time!  I think you will like the v6's.  They are able to get to 110 and 120 in less distance than the CVPI.  I do not understand the physics behind acceleration, but the CVPI gets to those speeds faster, but in a biger space.  Somehow, the acceleration numbers are not always revealing of how fast the car really is.  Never will understand all that stuff!  I guess that expains why I said several months ago that it felt like the Charger v6 had more power.  I do have a question though, why does DC use the 2.87 gears in the v6 Charger, but they used the 3.55 in the Intrepid?  Would not the performance numbers be off the chart? 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Catman

Quote from: hounddog on September 23, 2006, 05:24:31 AM
Thanks.  Been back in the hospital with mini stroke.  Doing better than last time!  I think you will like the v6's.  They are able to get to 110 and 120 in less distance than the CVPI.  I do not understand the physics behind acceleration, but the CVPI gets to those speeds faster, but in a biger space.  Somehow, the acceleration numbers are not always revealing of how fast the car really is.  Never will understand all that stuff!  I guess that expains why I said several months ago that it felt like the Charger v6 had more power.  I do have a question though, why does DC use the 2.87 gears in the v6 Charger, but they used the 3.55 in the Intrepid?  Would not the performance numbers be off the chart? 

Good question on the gearing, not sure but perhaps it's related to fuel mileage? 

Glad to hear you feel better, take care of yourself!

TheIntrepid

There are a few cops around here with Intrepids with the same engine as mine  :rockon:... the High-Output version of the 3.5L(which is what I have) was only standard on the top-of-the-line Intrepids, and standard on 300Ms. A cop in an Intrepid saw mine and gave me the thumbs up once. :)

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

The Pirate

Quote from: touareg208 on September 23, 2006, 02:31:36 PM
There are a few cops around here with Intrepids with the same engine as mine  :rockon:... the High-Output version of the 3.5L(which is what I have) was only standard on the top-of-the-line Intrepids, and standard on 300Ms. A cop in an Intrepid saw mine and gave me the thumbs up once. :)

How quick are the Intrepids with said HO engine?  The midlevel engine was a 3.2 I think?  I know the base was a 2.7 and rather gutless, but I drove one with the midlevel engine (3.2) and it was decent, but there was definite room for improvement.

TheIntrepid

In the 2nd Generation Intrepids, there was originally these  options

2.7 and 3.2...

Then in 2002 or 2003, the 3.2 was replaced with a 3.5... and in 2003 for sure they came out with a High-Output 3.5.

When it was killed in 2004, these were the 3 choices

Intrepid SE had a 2.7L - 190hp
Intrepid ES had a 3.5L - 234hp
Intrepid R/T and SXT had a 3.5L - 252hp (same engine that's now available in 300, Charger, Magnum, new Sebring, Pacifica, etc.)

I think it does 0-60 in 6.5...but mine has a chip and an aftermarket exhaust, so it has an extra 15-ish horsepower...

The Pirate

Quote from: touareg208 on September 24, 2006, 12:17:15 PM
In the 2nd Generation Intrepids, there was originally these  options

2.7 and 3.2...

Then in 2002 or 2003, the 3.2 was replaced with a 3.5... and in 2003 for sure they came out with a High-Output 3.5.

When it was killed in 2004, these were the 3 choices

Intrepid SE had a 2.7L - 190hp
Intrepid ES had a 3.5L - 234hp
Intrepid R/T and SXT had a 3.5L - 252hp (same engine that's now available in 300, Charger, Magnum, new Sebring, Pacifica, etc.)

I think it does 0-60 in 6.5...but mine has a chip and an aftermarket exhaust, so it has an extra 15-ish horsepower...

Nice, can't argue with a 0 to 60 of less than 6.5 seconds from a full size sedan.  The R/T was a pretty sharp looking car, if only it had a proper transmission.

Raza

Intrepid was identical to the 300M, right? 

If that's true, there's no way you're looking at 6.5 seconds to 60.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

hounddog

Quote from: Raza on September 24, 2006, 10:44:44 PM
Intrepid was identical to the 300M, right??

If that's true, there's no way you're looking at 6.5 seconds to 60.
You are right, Raza.  I was at the September 2003 MSP tests, and it seems to me it put up 0-60 in the area of 7.5 ish.  Do not remember the exact numbers anymore, but it was in that area.  My wifes 330Cic convertible get 0-60 in 6.6, and that car is definately faster than the Intrepid.  But I have driven the Intrepid squad car with the 3.5HO and I will say I would rather have that over the CVPI, except for the brakes.  It rode, handled, had better accleration and top speed, had much more front seat room, but less headroom for me.  It was a fun car to drive.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

TheIntrepid

Mine has the R/T engine and the AutoStick manumatic 4-spd transmission. The same engine was also the 3.5HO engine in the squad cars. AFTER chip and exhaust it can barely do 6.5 ;)..though I may be inaccurate...I got this number with a stopwatch and an empty patch of the 407ETR (for the Toronto members). 

Instead of 252hp, mine puts out 267 and it feels more powerful than my 268-hp Camry.

Raza

Quote from: touareg208 on September 25, 2006, 06:53:19 AM
Mine has the R/T engine and the AutoStick manumatic 4-spd transmission. The same engine was also the 3.5HO engine in the squad cars. AFTER chip and exhaust it can barely do 6.5 ;)..though I may be inaccurate...I got this number with a stopwatch and an empty patch of the 407ETR (for the Toronto members). 

Instead of 252hp, mine puts out 267 and it feels more powerful than my 268-hp Camry.

Car and Driver got a 0-60 of around 8 seconds for the 300M.

15 horsepower isn't going to cut off a second and a half from 3700 pound sedan.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: hounddog on September 25, 2006, 02:34:57 AM
You are right, Raza.  I was at the September 2003 MSP tests, and it seems to me it put up 0-60 in the area of 7.5 ish.  Do not remember the exact numbers anymore, but it was in that area.  My wifes 330Cic convertible get 0-60 in 6.6, and that car is definately faster than the Intrepid.  But I have driven the Intrepid squad car with the 3.5HO and I will say I would rather have that over the CVPI, except for the brakes.  It rode, handled, had better accleration and top speed, had much more front seat room, but less headroom for me.  It was a fun car to drive.

I can imagine that the interior packaging was better than the Crown.  But why then, are PDs so angered by the Impala?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

Front-drive, not as durable as the Crown Vic, not as easy to fix as the Crown Vic, more expensive on the whole than the Crown Vic.