New car

Started by cozmik, May 14, 2006, 08:14:56 AM

cozmik

So by the end of July, I am probably going to be getting a new car if my job continues to play out well. The Saab would be going to my father, he would sell his Tahoe, and I would be buying a new car for myself. Seeing as I sell cars now, it narrows down my choices.

The group I work for sells Pontiac, GMC, Honda, Jaguar, Volvo, and BMW.

I've narrowed it down even more to the BMW 325xi (or maybe 325i, depending on my budget) and the Volvo S40 T5 AWD. Both with the 6 speed. In terms of options, the only things I am getting are Sunroof (std on BMW) Xenon lights, decent audio system (again, std on 325) and the cold weather package. In AWD form, the price difference is about $1,000.

Any thoughts? Right now, I'm leaning heavily towards the 325xi.  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

saxonyron

I'm amazed the S40 is within a grand of the 325xi.  I thought it would be much cheaper.  Regardless, since you can't have the benchmark A4 quattro  :lol:  , then no doubt you should head for the 325xi.  Seriously, there is no reason not to like that car.  The style looks great (minimally Banglized), power is right up there, and the ride and handling must absolutely kick the Volvo's butt.  I never drove the Volvo when I was hunting, just because I came down with uncontrollable yawning when I looked at the styling.  But I can tell you after passengering in Dazzleman's 530i that the BMW's are absolutely amazing on the road.  I'm sure he and Faris can give you more insight.  Good luck!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Lebowski

325, hands down, IMO.

Raghavan

BMWDave

QuoteS2000!
:rolleyes:

Of the two, I would go with the 325.  Its a far better car dynamically than the Volvo, and since the two are priced so close, there really is no reason to go for the Volvo.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

cozmik

QuoteS2000!
Test drove the S2000 a couple times and love it, but not as an only car.

I was really expecting the S40 and 325 to be a lot farther away in price, but the sunroof and autio system add about 2400 to the price of the S40, which the BMW already has standard.

I am thinking about maybe taking European delivery as well. I think that would be sweet.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Raghavan

Do you need AWD?

280Z Turbo

Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I would rather have a 9-3 Arc than a Bimmer. Any a-hole can drive a Bimmer ;) , but a Saab is different, more unique.

Don't get me wrong, the 3 series is an awesome car, but I just think that it's become a cliche of what people drive up the corporate ladder.

Whatever you end up doing you'll have a nice car, but's that's just my $.02.

JYODER240

If I were you the GTO would be my first choice followed by the bimmer.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

280Z Turbo

QuoteDo you need AWD?
I doubt it. If I can drive through 2 Michigan winters with a 2WD long box pickup on crappy all season tires, then surely he could safely manage a 50-50 RWD Bimmer on snow tires.

Of course, "want" and "need" are two different things.

280Z Turbo

QuoteIf I were you the GTO would be my first choice followed by the bimmer.
Good idea, I do like the Monaro quite a bit as well. It's a very comfortable, refined, Euopean style muscle car.

SJ_GTI

Personally the S40 isn't even on my radar, so I would say go for the 325xi.

That being said....do you really need AWD? The 325i is faster and gets better fuel economy. If I remember correcly you are somewhere in delaware? When I had my Z3 as an only car I never had any problems with it in the snow. Keeping in mind that bimmers are 50/50 balance and acceleration will push weight backward, traction isn't a big issue, and it shouldn't be any worse than a typical front-driver.

In any event good luck. I am sure the 325xi is a great car in and of itself.

cozmik

QuoteMaybe I'm a bit biased, but I would rather have a 9-3 Arc than a Bimmer. Any a-hole can drive a Bimmer ;) , but a Saab is different, more unique.

Don't get me wrong, the 3 series is an awesome car, but I just think that it's become a cliche of what people drive up the corporate ladder.

Whatever you end up doing you'll have a nice car, but's that's just my $.02.
I would get another 9-3 (Aero though) except that my dealer group doesn't sell Saab. When I was reading and signing the handbook of expectations, loyalty to the company is one of them. So basically I buy from them or I work somewhere else. I'd keep my car, but I really am just looking for some more performance. Aero would do that for me if I had it as an option. My main issue with my Arc are the seats and suspension. Suspension could be pretty easily swapped to the Aero setup. The seats on the other hand...

I'm going to see what happens though, I still got another month before I really have to start making decisions.

cozmik

I forgot. I'm looking to spend a maximum of about $36,000. And my "requirements" are a stick, leather or leather like seat covering, sunroof, heated seats, Xenon headlights, and a good factory sound system.

I am not interested in things like the STi or Evo, either. SUVs are also out of the question.

JYODER240

QuoteI forgot. I'm looking to spend a maximum of about $36,000. And my "requirements" are a stick, leather or leather like seat covering, sunroof, heated seats, Xenon headlights, and a good factory sound system.

I am not interested in things like the STi or Evo, either. SUVs are also out of the question.
Go with the goat.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Why AWD?  If it's between the two, my gut says S40, since it's a more rare car, but the price can add up on those very quickly (the last one I priced was tangent to 40 thousand) so my head says the 325xi.  But all of me says that AWD is unnecessary.  

Also, if it is explicitly necessary to get AWD, look at the A4 2.0T.  If you're open to another FWD car, look at the GTI/GLI.  

Oh shit, you have to buy from them?  Get a 325i, not xi.  Save your cash, your gas, and you won't look as much like a girl (considering only women, assholes, and people who don't like cars buy BMWs, especially 3ers, nowadays) for getting AWD.  

I'd want you to get the S40, but the 3 series is a better car.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

Have you thought about a Z4 perhaps?

2007 Honda S2000

Colonel Cadillac

SJ_GTI

Quote...considering only women, assholes, and people who don't like cars buy BMWs, especially 3ers, nowadays...
Well that has to rank as one of the most rediculous things I've read in a while.

ifcar

QuoteI forgot. I'm looking to spend a maximum of about $36,000. And my "requirements" are a stick, leather or leather like seat covering, sunroof, heated seats, Xenon headlights, and a good factory sound system.

Go with the goat.
The GTO doesn't offer one.

Between your two choices, the BMW seems like a no-brainer when the price difference is that small. I suppose the leatherette versus leather is the biggest reason for that.

I'd also monitoring your dealer's inventory of used cars to watch for other choices, since you don't seem to be in a hurry to buy.

BMWDave

Go with the goat.

Between your two choices, the BMW seems like a no-brainer when the price difference is that small. I suppose the leatherette versus leather is the biggest reason for that.

I'd also monitoring your dealer's inventory of used cars to watch for other choices, since you don't seem to be in a hurry to buy.
BMW's leatherette is quite, quite good, I believe Faris has it in his 3er.  It easily can pass for leather, and its very high quality.  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

QuoteHave you thought about a Z4 perhaps?
Why would he go for the Z4 and not an S2000? You rolled your eyes at me for that one. :blink:
What about a Legacy GT?

BMWDave

Why would he go for the Z4 and not an S2000? You rolled your eyes at me for that one. :blink:
What about a Legacy GT?
I rolled my eyes at you since he asked for two specific cars, a BMW 325 and a Volvo S40.  All of a sudden you jumped in and said S2000!  It was characteristic of your suggesting things that dont normally have anything to do with the topic.  However, in retrospect, it wasnt a bad suggestion, since he started entertaining options such as the GT0 from the 5 or so brands he mentioned.  

2007 Honda S2000

cozmik

What about a Legacy GT?
Not my style, not a brand I can buy. You missed the whole "I work at a car dealer and have to buy from them" thing I do believe.

I would have considered the GTO if it had the sunroof, especially since I get the GM Employee discount, but, we are only getting 8 more in before they are discontinued so I don't know that I'll be able to find a 6 speed with the color I want, and I still want a sunroof.

The Z4 was mentioned and I was thinking of it, but it's too much money.

BMWDave

What about a Legacy GT?
Not my style, not a brand I can buy. You missed the whole "I work at a car dealer and have to buy from them" thing I do believe.

I would have considered the GTO if it had the sunroof, especially since I get the GM Employee discount, but, we are only getting 8 more in before they are discontinued so I don't know that I'll be able to find a 6 speed with the color I want, and I still want a sunroof.

The Z4 was mentioned and I was thinking of it, but it's too much money.
Do you want to buy CPO or new?

2007 Honda S2000

cozmik

I'd prefer new, mainly because my dealer will be able to get me a better discount and interest rate on a new car. Also, leasing is an option that I am considering, which I wouldn't be able to do with CPO. I would consider CPO, though, if the right car came along.

cozmik

This is how the 325i priced out for me.

Base Price:     $30,900     
   Destination Charge:    $695    

Exterior Features:    
   Black Sapphire Metallic    $475    
   Interior Features:    
   Black with Leatherette Upholstery and Burl Walnut Wood Trim       
   Packages:    
   Cold Weather Package    $1,000    
   - Fold Down Rear Seats w/Ski Bag       
   - Heated Front Seats       
   - Headlight Washers       
   Options:    
   Xenon Adaptive Headlights    $800    
   Satellite Radio Preparation    $75    

Price As Built:    $33,945    

ifcar

Go with the goat.

BMW's leatherette is quite, quite good, I believe Faris has it in his 3er.  It easily can pass for leather, and its very high quality.
Oh, I know. I'm just saying that the S40 is saddled with an expensive leather package while the 325i doesn't have to be, which is why the price difference is relatively small between them.  

BMWDave

QuoteI'd prefer new, mainly because my dealer will be able to get me a better discount and interest rate on a new car. Also, leasing is an option that I am considering, which I wouldn't be able to do with CPO. I would consider CPO, though, if the right car came along.
I wouldnt recommend leasing.  You pay a lot of money over the lease period, and at the end, you have no car to show for it.  The dealership then tries to finagle you in buying the residual at a high market value.  Youre not your own boss, they tell you where to take the car for service, how many miles you can put on it, etc.  

If you can, buy.  Perhaps Lebowski can comment more about the financial aspect of leasing vs. buying.   If the right car comes along, I think you should consider CPO.  A new Z4 is basically out of the question, as it starts at just about 36K.  

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

Go with the goat.

Oh, I know. I'm just saying that the S40 is saddled with an expensive leather package while the 325i doesn't have to be, which is why the price difference is relatively small between them.
Yup.  And when the price difference is so small between the two cars, the S40 loses its main advantage.  

2007 Honda S2000