New car

Started by cozmik, May 14, 2006, 08:14:56 AM

cozmik

QuoteI'd prefer new, mainly because my dealer will be able to get me a better discount and interest rate on a new car. Also, leasing is an option that I am considering, which I wouldn't be able to do with CPO. I would consider CPO, though, if the right car came along.
I wouldnt recommend leasing.  You pay a lot of money over the lease period, and at the end, you have no car to show for it.  The dealership then tries to finagle you in buying the residual at a high market value.  Youre not your own boss, they tell you where to take the car for service, how many miles you can put on it, etc.  

If you can, buy.  Perhaps Lebowski can comment more about the financial aspect of leasing vs. buying.   If the right car comes along, I think you should consider CPO.  A new Z4 is basically out of the question, as it starts at just about 36K.
Normally, I don't think about leasing. But I probably won't keep the car more than 3 years, it comes with 4 years of free maintiance, so I don't care, cause BMW pays for it. Additionally, I could do it with 0 down, which is always nice.

I'm still undecided on it though.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

cozmik

Oh, and the BMW leatherette is very good. I wouldn't pay the extra for the real thing.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

BMWDave

QuoteI'd prefer new, mainly because my dealer will be able to get me a better discount and interest rate on a new car. Also, leasing is an option that I am considering, which I wouldn't be able to do with CPO. I would consider CPO, though, if the right car came along.
I wouldnt recommend leasing.  You pay a lot of money over the lease period, and at the end, you have no car to show for it.  The dealership then tries to finagle you in buying the residual at a high market value.  Youre not your own boss, they tell you where to take the car for service, how many miles you can put on it, etc.  

If you can, buy.  Perhaps Lebowski can comment more about the financial aspect of leasing vs. buying.   If the right car comes along, I think you should consider CPO.  A new Z4 is basically out of the question, as it starts at just about 36K.
Normally, I don't think about leasing. But I probably won't keep the car more than 3 years, it comes with 4 years of free maintiance, so I don't care, cause BMW pays for it. Additionally, I could do it with 0 down, which is always nice.

I'm still undecided on it though.
Well look at it this way.  You buy a car for 36K, and after three years, you have a car that you can reasonably sell for about 23K.  At the worst, you take a 13K hit on the car.  Nevertheless, you were able to put as many miles as you wanted, you were able to do your own oil change, and you didnt have to worry about keeping the car in tiptop shape so that you wouldnt forfeit your security deposit.  

If you lease, you pay 20 or so thousand, you are not allowed to take it to certain mechanics, and you can only put a limited amount of miles on.  Then come 3 years, you have paid 20 or so thousand, and you have nothing to show for it at the lease end.  

I would get the car, and worry about getting rid of it later.   :wave:

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

QuoteHave you thought about a Z4 perhaps?
Why would he go for the Z4 and not an S2000? You rolled your eyes at me for that one. :blink:
What about a Legacy GT?
Not my style, not a brand I can buy. You missed the whole "I work at a car dealer and have to buy from them" thing I do believe.

I would have considered the GTO if it had the sunroof, especially since I get the GM Employee discount, but, we are only getting 8 more in before they are discontinued so I don't know that I'll be able to find a 6 speed with the color I want, and I still want a sunroof.

The Z4 was mentioned and I was thinking of it, but it's too much money.
I saw that ,but um... you HAVE to buy from them? :wtf:  :hammerhead:  

Raghavan

Why would he go for the Z4 and not an S2000? You rolled your eyes at me for that one. :blink:
What about a Legacy GT?
I rolled my eyes at you since he asked for two specific cars, a BMW 325 and a Volvo S40.  All of a sudden you jumped in and said S2000!  It was characteristic of your suggesting things that dont normally have anything to do with the topic.  However, in retrospect, it wasnt a bad suggestion, since he started entertaining options such as the GT0 from the 5 or so brands he mentioned.
So what does the Z4 have to do with the 325 and the S40? I'm not seeing the connection here.  

BMWDave

What about a Legacy GT?
I rolled my eyes at you since he asked for two specific cars, a BMW 325 and a Volvo S40.  All of a sudden you jumped in and said S2000!  It was characteristic of your suggesting things that dont normally have anything to do with the topic.  However, in retrospect, it wasnt a bad suggestion, since he started entertaining options such as the GT0 from the 5 or so brands he mentioned.
So what does the Z4 have to do with the 325 and the S40? I'm not seeing the connection here.
I dont want to hijack this thread, but read before you post!

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

What about a Legacy GT?
Ok... I don't see why you had to roll your eyes at me, but whatever.

Cosmic: Get a Pontiac Solstice. It's pretty cheap, and apparently it rides well. And it looks great with the hardtop.
Can you get the GM employee thing on it?

BMWDave

What about a Legacy GT?
Ok... I don't see why you had to roll your eyes at me, but whatever.

Cosmic: Get a Pontiac Solstice. It's pretty cheap, and apparently it rides well. And it looks great with the hardtop.
Can you get the GM employee thing on it?
I dont think he'd get a Pontiac Solstice for the same reason he wont get a Subaru.  I think he wants something more decidedly 'upscale.'   B)  

2007 Honda S2000

cozmik

I'd consider a Solstice GXP, but, there is a 14 month waiting list for any solstice right now, and the GXP isn't even available to be ordered.

I get the employee discount, but I don't think my dealer would let me order with it with such high demand.

Raghavan

QuoteI'd consider a Solstice GXP, but, there is a 14 month waiting list for any solstice right now, and the GXP isn't even available to be ordered.

I get the employee discount, but I don't think my dealer would let me order with it with such high demand.
:o
14 months??? That's like the Prius' waiting list!

BMWDave

QuoteI'd consider a Solstice GXP, but, there is a 14 month waiting list for any solstice right now, and the GXP isn't even available to be ordered.

Wow, I didnt realize the waiting list was that large :o  

2007 Honda S2000

Atomic

QuoteI'm amazed the S40 is within a grand of the 325xi.  I thought it would be much cheaper.  Regardless, since you can't have the benchmark A4 quattro  :lol:  , then no doubt you should head for the 325xi.  Seriously, there is no reason not to like that car.  The style looks great (minimally Banglized), power is right up there, and the ride and handling must absolutely kick the Volvo's butt.  I never drove the Volvo when I was hunting, just because I came down with uncontrollable yawning when I looked at the styling.  But I can tell you after passengering in Dazzleman's 530i that the BMW's are absolutely amazing on the road.  I'm sure he and Faris can give you more insight.  Good luck!
go w/ your gut insinct! don't settle, dude  :nono: ! good luck! keep us posted  :wave: !  

Raza

Quote...considering only women, assholes, and people who don't like cars buy BMWs, especially 3ers, nowadays...
Well that has to rank as one of the most rediculous things I've read in a while.
"Ridiculous", and you must know that I'm not entirely serious, just playing to the stereotypes that exist.  Like I said the 325 is a better car (though I'd urge him with much volition to get the RWD model).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

I agree w/  MTL4 and Raza, get a 325i and a good set of snow tires.

And check out the new quote in my sig.  Like it or not there's a lot of truth in it, lol, I don't read it as anything negative about BMW cars (I still love BMWs), just a funny observation about many of the people who buy them.  Sadly it's actually pretty damned accurate.

dazzleman

Matt, before I bought my last BMW, I drove a Volvo (can't remember the model -- probably the mid-sized one), along with a couple of BMW models (3er and 5er), a Saab 9-5, Audi A-4 and Mercedes C class.

I liked the way the Volvo drove, though I thought the BMW drove better.  Beyond that, it's a matter of image.  The image is that a BMW is what a guy really wants to buy, but a Volvo is what a guy's wife wants him to buy.

I agree with Mtl A4 in questioning your need for AWD.  I live in Connecticut, and I passed on AWD without any real consequences.  I'd have to think that down in Delaware, you're even less likely to have any problems with a RWD car.

Have you driven both cars?  I assume so, but I don't think you've said so far.  Check them both out to see how they feel to you.  That's the most important thing.  My opinion is that the BMW will drive better, but you have to gauge how you feel.

I also agree with BMWDave in discouraging the leasing option.  Leasing has some hidden charges as he mentioned, like mileage charges, charges for any type of imperfection, etc.  Also, Bimmers hold their value very well, so if you own the car, it will still be worth quite a bit in 3 years, and have a good deal of life left in it.  I bought my last Bimmer in 2001, and my own informal calculation showed that I did better financially having owned rather than leased.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  I hope I've been helpful.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

QuoteI'm amazed the S40 is within a grand of the 325xi.  I thought it would be much cheaper.  Regardless, since you can't have the benchmark A4 quattro  :lol:  , then no doubt you should head for the 325xi.  Seriously, there is no reason not to like that car.  The style looks great (minimally Banglized), power is right up there, and the ride and handling must absolutely kick the Volvo's butt.  I never drove the Volvo when I was hunting, just because I came down with uncontrollable yawning when I looked at the styling.  But I can tell you after passengering in Dazzleman's 530i that the BMW's are absolutely amazing on the road.  I'm sure he and Faris can give you more insight.  Good luck!
Ron, I can't believe you didn't take me up on my offer to let you drive the 5er.  :lol:   Not many people get that offer, man.  You really ought to regret declining... :P  
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Lebowski

I'm generally fairly anti-leasing, but then again I'm pretty anti-financing as well.  The truth is that from a purely financial perspective you have to look at it on a case by case basis.  Leasing does make sense for some people, like those who own their own business.  Otherwise, you just plug in the payments, an assumed discount rate, and an assumed estimated value of the car at the end of the period into a financial calculator and figure it out that way.

Aside from that, though, I still wouldn't lease personally because it requires you to lock yourself in too much.  For example, even if it turns out to be the best when you plug the numbers into a financial calculator, that's only if you don't deviate from the allotted mileage.  I don't know about you, but I can't sit down today and tell you how many miles I'm going to drive in 2008 or whether I'm going to want to turn in my car in 2009 vs. drive it for another couple of years, so I'd rather not lock myself in to those things with a lease.

cozmik

Well it's sounding like I go 325i not xi.

I've driven the standard S40, but not the T5.

I have driven a 6 speed 325i already, but not a 325xi.

I am going to have to drive things again I think.

Tom

I would go for a GTO without much of a thought.  It's not like you're a 32 year old man with 2 kids and a wife you need to drive to church.  

ifcar

QuoteWell it's sounding like I go 325i not xi.

I've driven the standard S40, but not the T5.

I have driven a 6 speed 325i already, but not a 325xi.

I am going to have to drive things again I think.
I'd also drive an Accord EX V6 manual. I'd say there's very little chance you'd choose it, but with such narrow criteria you might as well look at everything close. It's no BMW, but it's a nice car that you should be able to pick up around $25k depending on your discount.  

Raghavan

GTO FTW.
If not, go BMW.

saxonyron

QuoteRon, I can't believe you didn't take me up on my offer to let you drive the 5er.  :lol:   Not many people get that offer, man.  You really ought to regret declining... :P
I'm kicking myself, D-Man, but I just figured I'd have some bad luck and put a big scratch in it or something.   :P  At the next Get Together, we can swap rides (if your offer is still open!?).  I had enough right seat time to know you have one hell of a ride, though.  :rockon:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

QuoteRon, I can't believe you didn't take me up on my offer to let you drive the 5er.  :lol:   Not many people get that offer, man.  You really ought to regret declining... :P
I'm kicking myself, D-Man, but I just figured I'd have some bad luck and put a big scratch in it or something.   :P  At the next Get Together, we can swap rides (if your offer is still open!?).  I had enough right seat time to know you have one hell of a ride, though.  :rockon:
Sounds good, Ron. :rockon:  

Champ

If it matters to you much, if the stereo is the same in the S40 as the one in the S60R (that my mom has), it is one of the BEST car stereo's on the market.  My mom has the 13-speaker system if that helps you compare the two sound systems.

I'd get the Volvo mostly because I'm Swedish and biased there, and not to mention where I am BMW (and Audi) are belly button cars.  Way too common.

MX793

What about a Mazdaspeed6?  Or is that not quite luxurious/refined enough?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you're limited on what brands you can get and Mazda isn't one of them.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Colonel Cadillac

QuoteIf it matters to you much, if the stereo is the same in the S40 as the one in the S60R (that my mom has), it is one of the BEST car stereo's on the market.  My mom has the 13-speaker system if that helps you compare the two sound systems.

I'd get the Volvo mostly because I'm Swedish and biased there, and not to mention where I am BMW (and Audi) are belly button cars.  Way too common.
Volvos are more common than Audis are usually.  

Champ

QuoteIf it matters to you much, if the stereo is the same in the S40 as the one in the S60R (that my mom has), it is one of the BEST car stereo's on the market.  My mom has the 13-speaker system if that helps you compare the two sound systems.

I'd get the Volvo mostly because I'm Swedish and biased there, and not to mention where I am BMW (and Audi) are belly button cars.  Way too common.
Not here in MN (twin cities more exact)

Raza

QuoteI agree w/  MTL4 and Raza, get a 325i and a good set of snow tires.

And check out the new quote in my sig.  Like it or not there's a lot of truth in it, lol, I don't read it as anything negative about BMW cars (I still love BMWs), just a funny observation about many of the people who buy them.  Sadly it's actually pretty damned accurate.
:praise:

Oh man, MTL will never let me get away with that now!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteIf it matters to you much, if the stereo is the same in the S40 as the one in the S60R (that my mom has), it is one of the BEST car stereo's on the market.  My mom has the 13-speaker system if that helps you compare the two sound systems.

I'd get the Volvo mostly because I'm Swedish and biased there, and not to mention where I am BMW (and Audi) are belly button cars.  Way too common.
Not where I live (or at the very least, not by much).  

I've noticed a lot of X Types around lately.  I saw 7 today.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteI would go for a GTO without much of a thought.  It's not like you're a 32 year old man with 2 kids and a wife you need to drive to church.
I understand his sentiment, though.  The GTO is clearly a better car to drive than any of those, and as Top Gear demonstrated, the car will drop an M3 around their track, so performance simply isn't a question with the GTO.  He wants a sunroof, and I can certainly commiserate with that sentiment holding him back.  If it's something like "Pontiac's not upscale enough" or "It looks like a Cavalier" or "The interior plastics aren't soft-touch" then I'm smack him.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i