What do I do?

Started by SVT666, May 15, 2006, 10:55:35 AM

If you could only do one or the other, which would you do?

Four 33"x12.5"x17" Dick Cepek F-C II tires and Rancho 9000 Adjustable Shocks
8 (66.7%)
Dynatech long tube headers, Y-pipe, and Magnaflow 3" catback (40+hp and 75+lbs-ft TQ)
4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

SVT666

I'm torn because I want the increased off-road traction and ride quality that option #1 would provide, but it's hard to ignore the significant power gains that option #2 offers.

Tom

It's not like your truck is starved for power as is.  Infact, it has plenty of power for anything short of racing.  I would definately upgrade the tires and shocks for a better offroad ride.

SVT666

Since posting this poll, I've been thinking about it a lot.  This past Saturday I had 3010 lbs in the box and I still had to be careful how much throttle I gave it because it still wanted to accelerate a lot faster then I wanted it to.  I think I've pretty much decided to do the tires and shocks.

Tom

QuoteSince posting this poll, I've been thinking about it a lot.  This past Saturday I had 3010 lbs in the box and I still had to be careful how much throttle I gave it because it still wanted to accelerate a lot faster then I wanted it to.  I think I've pretty much decided to do the tires and shocks.
Sounds good.  Post pics!

Tom

Wait, how did you carry 3010 pounds?

Raza

On a truck, I'd probably get the shocks, but I'm not exactly the most qualified person to talk about trucks.  The last thing resembling a truck that I drove was a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer, and I was 12 when I drove it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

QuoteWait, how did you carry 3010 pounds?
Oops.  Sorry it was actually 3025 lbs that I had in the box.  I loaded fifty five 55lbs bags of concrete mix at the building supply and brought them home.  The truck was riding pretty low but not on the overloads yet.  I bottomed out on two bumps on the way home but for the most part it was fine.  I brought home 3 loads of building supplies and all three loads were close to 3000lbs with one of them being 3025lbs.  It's not something I would do on a regular basis.  

Tom

Oops.  Sorry it was actually 3025 lbs that I had in the box.  I loaded fifty five 55lbs bags of concrete mix at the building supply and brought them home.  The truck was riding pretty low but not on the overloads yet.  I bottomed out on two bumps on the way home but for the most part it was fine.  I brought home 3 loads of building supplies and all three loads were close to 3000lbs with one of them being 3025lbs.  It's not something I would do on a regular basis.
That has to be double what your truck is rated to carry :blink:  

Raghavan

Good to see someone using their truck as they should. :lol:

mazda6er

That was probably a nice workout, eh? I love doing stuff like that because it means I don't have to bother lifting weights for a day or two.   :lol:  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Rupert

I only voted cause I know you offroad it. That said, yer doing the right thing.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT666

That has to be double what your truck is rated to carry :blink:
Over double actually.  The official rating is 1400 and change.

SVT666

That was probably a nice workout, eh? I love doing stuff like that because it means I don't have to bother lifting weights for a day or two.   :lol:
Every muscle in my body hurts.  :(  

SVT666

QuoteI only voted cause I know you offroad it. That said, yer doing the right thing.
I think I'll get more use out of the tires and shocks (for their intended purpose) then I will out of the extra power.  I went over the cost of everything and I will probably be able to afford the tires, shocks, and the Magnaflow catback.  The Headers and Y-pipe were $1300 by themselves.

JYODER240

I wish I could pick up that much power that easily :blink:  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT666

QuoteI wish I could pick up that much power that easily :blink:
The HEMI is apparently hampered by a fairly restrictive intake and exhaust.  I was on a Dodge truck forum where someone posted an independent dyno test of 5 different aftermarket intakes and the K&N Aircharger provided an increase of 15.4rwhp over stock.  Full exhaust systems (headers, mid-pipe, and catback) are getting around 40hp and 75lbs-ft of torque.  Comp Cams make a Stage 1, Stage 2, and Stage 3 cams for it and the manufacturer claims hp increases of around 65rwhp for the Stage 3.  There is a lot of potential in these engines.  

Popular Hot Rodding

JYODER240

With a 350Z if I installed a new intake, headers, and exhaust I would pick up maybe 15-20hp.  

SVT666

QuoteWith a 350Z if I installed a new intake, headers, and exhaust I would pick up maybe 15-20hp.
Yes, but it's only a 3.5L V6, so you can't expect much more then that.

Tom

The HEMI is apparently hampered by a fairly restrictive intake and exhaust.  I was on a Dodge truck forum where someone posted an independent dyno test of 5 different aftermarket intakes and the K&N Aircharger provided an increase of 15.4rwhp over stock.  Full exhaust systems (headers, mid-pipe, and catback) are getting around 40hp and 75lbs-ft of torque.  Comp Cams make a Stage 1, Stage 2, and Stage 3 cams for it and the manufacturer claims hp increases of around 65rwhp for the Stage 3.  There is a lot of potential in these engines.  

Popular Hot Rodding
And still not as much potential as the Cummins :wub:  

Run Away

QuoteWith a 350Z if I installed a new intake, headers, and exhaust I would pick up maybe 15-20hp.
Err, no, it's just a somehat efficent design from the factory.

My little 2.0L Honda gains 12 whp (dyno proven) with just the addition of a DC sports header. Stock, the engine dyno's at about 105whp.....

Almost nothing to do with engine size, just the design charateristics (efficiency) of the stock intake and exhaust systems.

SVT666

Popular Hot Rodding
And still not as much potential as the Cummins :wub:
Diesels are absolute beasts, unfortunately I can't stand the noise they make.

JYODER240

Err, no, it's just a somehat efficent design from the factory.

My little 2.0L Honda gains 12 whp (dyno proven) with just the addition of a DC sports header. Stock, the engine dyno's at about 105whp.....

Almost nothing to do with engine size, just the design charateristics (efficiency) of the stock intake and exhaust systems.
Exactly, the 350Z already has a rather free-flowing intake and exhaust from the factory so any mods will produce minimal gains, or atleast thats what I've heard.

SVT666

QuoteExactly, the 350Z already has a rather free-flowing intake and exhaust from the factory so any mods will produce minimal gains, or atleast thats what I've heard.
That's no fun.  I think auto makers should always make the intake and exhaust restrictive so that owners get a sense of accomplishment from modding their cars.  Those are reletively cheap mods and are the most common mods.  Then they can make in-house aftermarket parts and sell them at a premium and be able to claim a legitimate 20hp increase with an exhaust system.  I think it would suck to buy a car that when you mod it, it doesn't get any more powerful.

JYODER240

QuoteExactly, the 350Z already has a rather free-flowing intake and exhaust from the factory so any mods will produce minimal gains, or atleast thats what I've heard.
That's no fun.  I think auto makers should always make the intake and exhaust restrictive so that owners get a sense of accomplishment from modding their cars.  Those are reletively cheap mods and are the most common mods.  Then they can make in-house aftermarket parts and sell them at a premium and be able to claim a legitimate 20hp increase with an exhaust system.  I think it would suck to buy a car that when you mod it, it doesn't get any more powerful.
Or you can just save you money and not have to mod it at all ;)  

Raza

With a VQ?  Good luck.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

With a VQ?  Good luck.
No kidding you almost have to go FI in order to get any noticeable power increases.

Raza

With a VQ?  Good luck.
No kidding you almost have to go FI in order to get any noticeable power increases.
Pretty much FI is what you have to do, and I'm not too keen on aftermarket turbo installations (modifying existing turbo architecture is fine though), so supers are the way to go.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Run Away

Pretty much FI is what you have to do, and I'm not too keen on aftermarket turbo installations (modifying existing turbo architecture is fine though), so supers are the way to go.
Can't wait to hear the reasoning behind that...

Raghavan

Can't wait to hear the reasoning behind that...
Raza doesn't know shit about modding cars anywho. Don't listen to him.
Not that i know lots about modifying cars either, but i don't go pulling random claims outta my ass. :lol:  

Champ

With a VQ?  Good luck.
When I worked at infiniti one guy brought a new(er) G35 coupe in with a supercharger on it, license plate said MIG35  it definitely sounded like an airplaine... that thing was LOUD.

That's nice about the Viggen, I can grab that much extra power with a new exhaust, downpipe, and computer upgrade.  Could actually almost get that much with only the computer.  Obviously wise to let it breath a little better though.

P.S. I'd do the shocks + tires too :)