WSJ Comparison: Subcompact cars

Started by ifcar, May 15, 2006, 02:33:58 PM

ifcar

Chevrolet Aveo $9,350/ 26 mpg city, 35 mpg highway

SMALL WONDER: Designed by the studio of famed Italian car stylist Giugiaro.

SMALL-MINDED: It may be taller than Buick's big Lucerne sedan, but its rear headroom seems skimpy compared with the Honda and Nissan.

The Aveo, like all the subcompacts we tried, makes more efficient use of its interior space than many large cars. Even Chevrolet General Manager Edward Peper Jr., at nearly 6-feet-6-inches, slid gracefully into the sedan's back seat at the recent New York auto show while another Chevrolet employee sat in front. Mr. Peper's knees, though, seemed uncomfortably close to his chin. Mr. Peper says Chevrolet is counting on the Aveo to attract a wide range of customers, from hip twentysomethings buying their first new car to baby boomers looking for an economical second or third vehicle.

Unlike small cars of 20 or even 10 years ago, the Aveo has plenty of pep. Our commute includes a number of highway ramps that require quick acceleration, and the Aveo sedan didn't give us any stressful moments. Still, mashing the accelerator brings on loud engine revving, abrupt shifts and a dose of what industry folks call torque steer, a slight weave caused by the front wheels clawing unevenly for traction. Inside, the Aveo is comfortable but simple -- it feels more like a rental car than the more stylish Honda and Kia. As for interior noise, the Aveo registered 71 dBA at 70 mph, among the quietest in our test group.

One design disappointment: Chevrolet's in-house stylists have stripped away some of the original version's distinctive look for the coming 2007 sedan, and they stuck an oversize Chevy grille on the front in what appears to be a quick way to make it look like the rest of the maker's lineup. The good news is that the current five-door hatchback, which we like better for its sleek shape and tall cargo bay, will keep its old Italian design for at least another year. And at about $10,000, the current models are the best values of the subcompacts we tried.

Honda Fit $13,850/ 33 mpg city, 38 mpg highway

SMALL WONDER: The rear seats fold flat without removing the headrests.

SMALL-MINDED: Noisiest interior of the group -- 76 dBA at 70 mph,compared with 72 for the Kia Rio.

The Fit is the most distinctive-looking subcompact we drove. Its angular shape is accentuated by sharp creases in its front end and flanks, and big cat-eye headlights. The interior, with nicely positioned instruments, textured plastic parts and even a clever split-level glove box, seemed the only one of our test group not borrowed from some other model.

The Fit also illustrates how much other cars have grown. Compared with the Civic, Honda's long-standing smallest car until now, the Fit is about 20 inches shorter. Yet a Civic hatchback from 15 years ago is almost exactly the same size as the Fit -- both are about 157 inches long and 66 inches wide. What sets the Fit apart from the larger Honda is its tall roof. At 60 inches high, the Fit ties the Yaris three-door for the tallest car we tested and feels the roomiest inside. Folding the rear seat reveals a cavern that easily swallowed our fully assembled road bike -- the only subcompact we tested that did so.

Yet though there was plenty of space for the Montclair crew team members -- the Fit could fit five -- not all of them wanted to be seen in it. "I'm not really into hatchbacks. I just don't find them aesthetically pleasing," says Molly Jankolovits, a 17-year-old senior. But Kaysey Wickins, a 16-year-old who has been learning to drive in her parents' Chevrolet Suburban, says she'd happily switch: "I think small cars are cool because they're nimble and easy to park."

On the road, the Fit was noisy inside and didn't handle quite as well as the Rio around turns. But it felt peppier in urban traffic and was the best at navigating tight spots. Its shift lever was easily the best of the manual-transmission models we tested, and it also is the fastest from zero to 60 -- 8.6 seconds. Of the five cars, the Fit wound up as our favorite. Its sharp styling and smallish wheels made it seem unapologetic about being a little car, yet its interior had the best design for tall passengers.

Kia Rio 5 $13,700/ 32 mpg city, 35 mph highway

SMALL WONDER: Sports-car-style four-wheel disc brakes.

SMALL-MINDED: A four-door with hard-to-reach manual locks

The Kia hatchback emerged as our test group's most fun to drive -- engaging and peppy, with lots of feel for the road. Not only did it accelerate well and handle surprisingly sharply for a car of this price, but it was also the quietest on the highway. The route we drove with each car features long sections of broken and bumpy pavement, creating a racket inside all the other cars. In all but the Rio, we had to turn up the radio to hear it above the racket.

The South Korean car maker has sold a steadily growing number of vehicles in the U.S. under its own name for the last 12 years. Its sales rose 2.1 percent in 2005 from a year before to total 275,851, about even with BMW's. Many motorists will recall the tiny Ford Festiva sold in the U.S. from 1987 to 1992 -- that car was a relabeled Kia. The Festiva was the kind of stripped-down conveyance that helped give small cars a bad name, and we found some similar traits in the Rio 5. Its gearshift felt rubbery and vague. And to get power windows and locks a customer has to spring for a $600 "power package." That seems steep since the Rio's base price of $13,500 already is pricey by tiny-car standards. (The Honda Fit, at $13,850, comes with features such as power windows and locks that the Rio lacks.)

Nissan Versa $12,000 (estimate), 30 mpg city, 34 mpg highway

SMALL WONDER: High horsepower (122) for this category.

SMALL-MINDED: Rear seats waste cargo space by not quite folding flat.

When Nissan gave us an advance look at its first subcompact in years on the U.S. market, we noticed it didn't look so compact. Turns out the Versa -- which goes on sale in hatchback form next month, with a sedan to follow later this year -- is bigger than the others we tested and a full foot longer than the Fit. "American buyers prefer a little more size, a little more weight and a little more power," says Jack Collins, the Japanese car maker's product-planning chief.

The Versa's styling seems familiar. Its exterior, in fact, resembles a shrunken version of Nissan's Quest minivan. Its interior, upholstered in an attractive mix of nubby check-patterned cloth and smooth, tan-colored fabrics, looks like it could have come from one of Nissan's more expensive Altimas or Maximas -- not a bad thing, of course.

On the highway, the Versa's size and weight seemed to give it a boost. It felt the most stable and planted on the road, more like a midsize car. Our tester came with a continuously variable transmission, or CVT, a feature unavailable on the other models. These tend to offer smoother driving because there are no standard gears for the transmission to shift through. That transmission also had the Versa's engine turning about 500 revolutions per minute slower than its rivals' when cruising, making the engine relatively quiet. The base Versa comes with a six-speed manual gearbox -- compared with five-speeds on rival models -- that adds to its sporty, upscale image.

On paper, the Versa appears to be the muscle car of our group, with the largest, most powerful engine at 1.8 liters and 122 horsepower. But the Versa is no sports car and it wasn't as zippy-feeling as the Honda, which got to 60 mph half a second faster than the Versa.

Toyota Yaris $10,950 (2-door hatchback), $11,825 (sedan) 34 mpg city, 40 mpg highway

SMALL WONDER: More front legroom than BMW's huge 7-Series sedan.

SMALL-MINDED: Speedometer and other instruments are oddly clustered in the center of dashboard.

Toyota hopes its Yaris will succeed where its predecessor, the quirky Echo, failed. Yaris's styling is more like that of mainstream vehicles, setting it apart from the tall, awkward-looking Echo. (It didn't help that Robin Williams's creepy villain drove an Echo in the 2002 movie "One Hour Photo.") Echo's U.S. sales fell steadily from 48,876 in 2000, its first full year on the market, to fewer than 4,000 in 2004, when production ended. Three years ago the Japanese company began marketing its Scion brand of small cars, which have been a hit, with sales rising 58 percent last year to 156,485. But with the Yaris, Toyota says it aims to attract drivers who are put off by Scion's edgy, youth-oriented image.

We drove both the sedan and smaller three-door hatchback versions and found them attractive on the outside. The hatchback's high-roof, chopped-off look reminded us of a cross between a Smart car and a Mini Cooper. But inside, the Toyota crosses from utilitarian to downright drab. The dashboard and door panels are a sea of hard gray plastic and the upholstery is devoid of surface detail, except for a decorative pattern of squiggly lines that makes the seats look like they were covered with bed sheets.

On the road, the Yaris's soft suspension didn't feel sporty but also wasn't especially comfy on anything but smooth highways. It felt harsh over bumps, and its vast interior, which isn't well insulated against noise, rang like a bell when we went over potholes.

You can also read their long introduction here:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06132/689645-185.stm

Raza

The first thing that struck me is that I could put all those cars on my credit card (individually).  

The Aveo is damn cheap, and that makes it a no-brainer if you need a car that won't cost you much to buy or run.  

If it's a comparison, who won?  I just skimmed it, but I couldn't really find the words that jumped out at me as saying "The best car here is..."
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

"Of the five cars, the Fit wound up as our favorite. Its sharp styling and smallish wheels made it seem unapologetic about being a little car, yet its interior had the best design for tall passengers."

However:
"The Kia hatchback emerged as our test group's most fun to drive -- engaging and peppy, with lots of feel for the road. "

Raza

Quote"Of the five cars, the Fit wound up as our favorite. Its sharp styling and smallish wheels made it seem unapologetic about being a little car, yet its interior had the best design for tall passengers."

However:
"The Kia hatchback emerged as our test group's most fun to drive -- engaging and peppy, with lots of feel for the road. "
Ah, blind.

Interesting.  I'd probably go with the Rio myself.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

I just hope I am never in a position where I would have to choose one of these cars for myself.

ifcar

I'll undoubtedly be looking at used versions of these cars sometime in the next decade.

Catman

QuoteI'll undoubtedly be looking at used versions of these cars sometime in the next decade.
Hopefully, you won't have to. :(  

mazda6er

QuoteI'll undoubtedly be looking at used versions of these cars sometime in the next decade.
I don't think he has to, he's just woefully practical.  :P  

That being said, they're not bad cars, and getting better with every update.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

Exactly. I want something cheap almost to the point of being disposable, durable, reasonably comfortable, fuel-efficient, and practical to commute in. No need to pay more than $5k (and I intend to pay less) to meet those basics, especially when these current econocars are available used.

TBR

If the Fit was available with a sunroof I might be considering one in a few years. But, alas, it isn't :(

omicron

Having seen a Kia Rio described as the group's most fun to drive makes me want to send you all Mazda2s and Ford Fiestas and Holden Astras as soon as possible.  

JYODER240

QuoteIf the Fit was available with a sunroof I might be considering one in a few years. But, alas, it isn't :(
I really don't understand why so many people insist on a sunroof, if you want some fresh air you can always just crack a window.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

omicron

QuoteIf the Fit was available with a sunroof I might be considering one in a few years. But, alas, it isn't :(
I really don't understand why so many people insist on a sunroof, if you want some fresh air you can always just crack a window.
I agree. Is a sunroof really that critical to the buying decision??

93JC

Ask Raza for his half-baked reasoning sometime. :lol:

Raghavan

TIm wants to be PIMP.

Raza

The sunroof is a new avenue of air, and light.  The light itself becomes an element of the car's interior, whereas a steel roof shuts out the light and makes the interior dark.  Also, with a 2 door, the car booms when the windows are open at speed, but with a sunroof it's more comfortable.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

crv16

When I leave work, and my car has been sitting in the sun, I open my sunroof and crack the rear windows a few inches.  It allows good airflow thru the car without being loud.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

TBR

And then you get the air blasting into your eyes. I suspect that an opened sunroof with the windows just cracked probably doesn't effect your gas mileage as much as windows that are all the way down (I never use A/C anymore).

ifcar

After all that fuss you made about needing an A/C in Texas. :D

thewizard16

Interesting review. I hate subcompact cars in general, and never forsee myself having one, but they seem to have echoed most opinions I'd heard so far of most of the cars.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

thewizard16

The sunroof is a new avenue of air, and light.  The light itself becomes an element of the car's interior, whereas a steel roof shuts out the light and makes the interior dark.  Also, with a 2 door, the car booms when the windows are open at speed, but with a sunroof it's more comfortable.
Agreed. Both cars have sunroofs and I can't forsee myself buying a car without a sunroof in the future unless it's some kind of amazing deal. It's not quite a deal breaker if the money were right, but all other things the same, it would be.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

And then you get the air blasting into your eyes. I suspect that an opened sunroof with the windows just cracked probably doesn't effect your gas mileage as much as windows that are all the way down (I never use A/C anymore).
From personal experience, aircon affects your gas mileage quite a bit less than opening your windows.  When driving home and such, I noticed that with the windows opened, I was topping at about 26-28mpg, whereas with the windows closed and the aircon on, I got up to 32mpg.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

This is a guy who said he'd buy a Focus even if he won $10 million in the lottery  :hammerhead:

"Even with that much cash, I probably wouldn't buy anything outlandishly expensive. I'd get an 06 Focus ZXW for around $16k, and a used 05 Freestyle AWD for maybe $20k. "

Laconian

QuoteThe sunroof is a new avenue of air, and light.  The light itself becomes an element of the car's interior, whereas a steel roof shuts out the light and makes the interior dark.
Brochure-worthy.  :clap:  
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

TBR

From personal experience, aircon affects your gas mileage quite a bit less than opening your windows.  When driving home and such, I noticed that with the windows opened, I was topping at about 26-28mpg, whereas with the windows closed and the aircon on, I got up to 32mpg.
I don't use either at high speeds and at lower speeds having the windows down effects the air dynamics a lot less than at 55+.

And, ifcar, when I started shopping I didn't foresee a 60 mile roundtrip. commute and $2.80+ gas prices in my future ;) . Now, both are a reality.  

Raza

QuoteThe sunroof is a new avenue of air, and light.  The light itself becomes an element of the car's interior, whereas a steel roof shuts out the light and makes the interior dark.
Brochure-worthy.  :clap:
I'm a writer.

Thanks.   :P  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rupert

I don't use either at high speeds and at lower speeds having the windows down effects the air dynamics a lot less than at 55+.

And, ifcar, when I started shopping I didn't foresee a 60 mile roundtrip. commute and $2.80+ gas prices in my future ;) . Now, both are a reality.
How about $3.25 plus?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SJ_GTI

How about $3.25 plus?
It was 2.819 at Wawa this morning (for regular...premium was 3.099 if I recall).

Raza

Damn, I was like $3.25 for premium.  Damn Jersey.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

How about $3.25 plus?
That's the advantage of putting up with high temps, ugly scenery, and idiot rednecks.