West Texas Considers 80 MPH Speed Limit

Started by dazzleman, May 19, 2006, 07:05:55 PM

dazzleman

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-0...ed-limits_x.htm

Most of the place I drive have a top speed limit of 55 mph, so it would be great fun to drive in a place with an 80 mph speed limit, the speed I generally drive at on the highway in any case.

I'd have to do 100 mph there to attract any attention from old smokey... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

280Z Turbo

They say it will cost lives.

Well then, shouldn't we lower the freeway speed limit to 30 mph? Sure it will take longer to get places, but if we can save one life, isn't some inconvience worth it?

I think you can see the problem with that argument.

Colonel Cadillac

I think they should raise the standards to getting a license and then raise the speed limits.  

footoflead

QuoteThey say it will cost lives.

Well then, shouldn't we lower the freeway speed limit to 30 mph? Sure it will take longer to get places, but if we can save one life, isn't some inconvience worth it?

I think you can see the problem with that argument.
Its not necessarily the people speeding that are the problem (although they are to an extent) its the people that are driving way below the limit  ;)

But first we should definitly raise the standards to get  a license, i could have gotten mine blindfolded with one are behind my back :rolleyes:  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

QuoteI think they should raise the standards to getting a license and then raise the speed limits.
Fuck that!  As the forum shows, most of our accidents happen at low speeds (Tim's total destruction, Mark's tree, Matt's deer, my tire).  High speeds are de facto safer.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

QuoteI think they should raise the standards to getting a license and then raise the speed limits.
Fuck that!  As the forum shows, most of our accidents happen at low speeds (Tim's total destruction, Mark's tree, Matt's deer, my tire).  High speeds are de facto safer.
I think that more accidents are caused by incompetent slow drivers than competent fast drivers.  That's what makes this huge emphasis on speed, to the exclusion of other factors, and the assumption that higher speed limits equal less safe roads a little ridiculous.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

JYODER240

I say they get rid of speed limits alltogether think of it as survival of the fitest :rockon:  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

footoflead

QuoteI say they get rid of speed limits alltogether think of it as survival of the fitest :rockon:
How would that be different on I-45 :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

saxonyron

I wonder if the Feds will try to strong arm Texas if those crazy cowboys decide to try this?  Remember, the 55 mph limit was forced on everyone by the feds initially in the 1970's.  At some point, states could raise to 65, but the feds would withold your highway tax funds if you did.   Of course that went over like a turd in the punchbowl, so no states made any moves until some laws were worked out, IIRC.  

Obviously, I'm all for it.  I'd go to Texas if they did this just to see what my car feels like at 80!   :rockon:  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

QuoteObviously, I'm all for it.  I'd go to Texas if they did this just to see what my car feels like at 80!   :rockon:
....as if you didn't already know, Ron... :lol:  :rockon:  

Raghavan

The speed limits are so low because of really bad drivers who get their licenses very eassily. Make them harder to get, have better drivers on the road, and then raise the speed limits.

omicron

QuoteThe speed limits are so low because of really bad drivers who get their licenses very eassily. Make them harder to get, have better drivers on the road, and then raise the speed limits.
Yes, unfortunately current generations are going to have to wait for a comprehensive generational shift in driving attitudes and abilities before there is a rational approach to speed limits.

saxonyron

QuoteObviously, I'm all for it.  I'd go to Texas if they did this just to see what my car feels like at 80!   :rockon:
I hit 80 twice per trip.  Once on the way up to 90, and once on the way down.  :ph34r:   :lol:   Any faster than 90 and you're really gunning for a big fat ticket.  Those moments of pleasurable velocity are too few and far between.  :(  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Autobahn

QuoteObviously, I'm all for it.  I'd go to Texas if they did this just to see what my car feels like at 80!   :rockon:
I hit 80 twice per trip.  Once on the way up to 90, and once on the way down.  :ph34r:   :lol:   Any faster than 90 and you're really gunning for a big fat ticket.  Those moments of pleasurable velocity are too few and far between.  :(
bohoo 80 mph - that is fast I would be frightened by such high speeds  :lol:  :wave:

This is the sign to go:

TBR

About time, there isn't even anything to run into out there (no light posts even! :D).

Catman

As someone who has had to endure the stretch between Dallas and El Paso I'd recommend a limit of "As fast as your unit will allow".  I was doing 100 most of the way and it was boring as hell. :banghead:  

dazzleman

QuoteAs someone who has had to endure the stretch between Dallas and El Paso I'd recommend a limit of "As fast as your unit will allow".  I was doing 100 most of the way and it was boring as hell. :banghead:
Dude, you broke the law in TEXAS?

Do you know what those boys down there would do to a guy they nailed from MASSACHUSETTS, cop or not?  Man, it wouldn't be pretty.... :lol:  :pullover:

You're damn lucky those guys didn't nail you, man.... :rockon:  

850CSi

I drove down to Lafayette, IN the other day and the limit on most of I-65 was 70. Traffic was moving at around 85. Not bad.

omicron

A three-year old expressway in perfect condition has just had its speed limit for the last three kilometres lowered to 50mph  :rolleyes:

footoflead

QuoteAs someone who has had to endure the stretch between Dallas and El Paso I'd recommend a limit of "As fast as your unit will allow".  I was doing 100 most of the way and it was boring as hell. :banghead:
Dude, you broke the law in TEXAS?

Do you know what those boys down there would do to a guy they nailed from MASSACHUSETTS, cop or not?  Man, it wouldn't be pretty.... :lol:  :pullover:

You're damn lucky those guys didn't nail you, man.... :rockon:
The saying "Don't Mess with Texas" doesn't just apply to littering, it applys to the cops too ;)

The good ol' boys in Alabama or Georgia are not any better  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's