Thinking of a new car

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, May 31, 2006, 08:00:03 PM

FlatBlackCaddy

So lately i've been thinking about selling a few of my cars(maxima, NX, older Z) and getting a new car. The problem i'm having is that i'm looking at the 20K area, but i always find something thats alittle more and i end up in the 30K area.

I've even thought of selling everything(including my 96 TT Z) and getting a 07 G35 sedan(6 speed of course) for the mid 30's.

Anyway i always come back to a loaded mazda 3S 5 speed for 20K. I like the style, features, price and the fact that its a mazda(past mazda's i've had felt fantastic in the chassis/steering feel department).

So anyone own a 3er and have some opinions for me.
Will i find a 3 comfortable(i'm 6'2", about 280, so large frame), my maxima is comfotable(95) and my NX seems plenty roomy.

I'm also throwing around the idea of a TSX(love the interior and loaded only option), this is the middle of the road option at about 27K.

Then there is the obvious high end at 30k, but i'd like to keep my Z since its almost payed for and i just love the styling and power as a weekend/occasional fun car.

Throw me your thoughts, i'd love to hear them.

Note: i've also tossed around the idea of a entry 3er, but for my area(MN) i do appreciate the all weather ability of FWD(please don't fire up that discussion, i'm perfectly capable of driving a RWD car year round).  

Tom

Have you given thought to or driven the RX8?

FlatBlackCaddy

Haven't driven, have thought about it.

Its not dedicated enough for me(if you can understand that). If i'm going to go with a car that offers drawbacks of a coupe i'd prefer two seats. Maybe its just something hardwired wrong in my brain, but even the RX8 still falls under the catagory of "stored winters". I just can't see it as a year round car, not because of RWD, it just seems on a car like that(or any other sport oriented 2 door) you just throw resale out the window when you drive it in the winter.

Raghavan

FlatBlackCaddy

Haven't thought of that, but if i'm going that high(thats pushing 30) i'm going for a luxury RWD car.

I like the 3 and the more premium fwd sedan TSX because of size, i am partial to compact cars. Mainly because i don't need alot of room and i like the feel of a tossable car.  

Raghavan

Well, they start at 27k, so you could get one instead of a TSX.

Raghavan

FlatBlackCaddy

thought about the RSX, but the TSX(interior) is just so much better and the price is soo close. I am normally power hungry but i would like the TSX over a accord, 4's are normally more balanced than a 6 in a fwd car, and i'm looking more for the total package/luxury of the tsx over the mainstream appeal of the accord.

Raghavan

JYODER240

Are you only considering buying new?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

El Barto

QuoteUsed Z?
He already has 2.   :P   But adding a used 350 to the collection couldn't hurt.
2016 Volkswagen GTI (Aug 2015 - Present)
2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg (Aug 2011 - Aug 2015)
2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t (Oct 2007 - Aug 2011)
1990 Nissan Maxima SE (July 2003 - Oct 2007)

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteUsed Z?
Already bought that

1996 Black on Black 300ZX TT with 60 thousand rounds. was going to buy a new 350 but decided to save some dough and get the Z i always wanted(always loved the 90-96 models).  

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteAre you only considering buying new?
Prefer new, i'm looking to purchase, either with a 5 or 6 year note. Probobly own it for 6-10 years. So long term reliability is somewhat a concern. I could be tempted by a year old model with a warranty, but alot of what i find is only 1-2k less than new(msrp new, i can bargain pretty good). So i haven't seen any reason to not look at new.

Plus i like to know what i have, i treat my cars as best as possible(sure i could do better), but compared to the average car buyer i could be considered a collector.

I drive about 5 thousand miles a year. so a one year old 10K car is really used to me.

JYODER240

QuoteUsed Z?
Already bought that

1996 Black on Black 300ZX TT with 60 thousand rounds. was going to buy a new 350 but decided to save some dough and get the Z i always wanted(always loved the 90-96 models).
The Z32 are the most beautiful IMO.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raghavan

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteUsed Z?
Already bought that

The Z32 are the most beautiful IMO.
Damn right, and you don't see many TT's either.

personally i think black is the best for them, but thats just my opinion.

ahh the turbo's, not to mention my good friend stillen, who will give me 400hp for chump change.

Sadly i've been attracting the local PD lately in my Z, not doing anything wrong but i think they are just bothering me because of the classic sports car scenario.

SJ_GTI

You would sell your Z so soon? Didn't you just buy it recently?

Also have you driven a TSX? They are nice cars but the factory tires are crap and the suspension is too soft. Love the engine and feature/dollar ratio though. If you are looking to keep it under 30k its a good choice. I know you don't like VW's but I would say give the GTI and/or GLI a shot in that price range. They offer a similar package as the RSX/TSX, you might find you prefer it. I bet you could Also land a Mazdaspeed 6 for under 30k...or Legacy GT...they drink more fuel than a TSX but the AWD might make winter's more fun.

280Z Turbo

QuoteAlso have you driven a TSX? They are nice cars but the factory tires are crap and the suspension is too soft.
That's nothing the aftermarket couldn't remedy fairly easily.

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteYou would sell your Z so soon? Didn't you just buy it recently?

Also have you driven a TSX? They are nice cars but the factory tires are crap and the suspension is too soft. Love the engine and feature/dollar ratio though. If you are looking to keep it under 30k its a good choice. I know you don't like VW's but I would say give the GTI and/or GLI a shot in that price range. They offer a similar package as the RSX/TSX, you might find you prefer it. I bet you could Also land a Mazdaspeed 6 for under 30k...or Legacy GT...they drink more fuel than a TSX but the AWD might make winter's more fun.
your more inline with my thinking(somewhat), but you can see how pushing 30K makes me want to jump to luxury nameplates. As for VW i'm not completely out, but a audi would be as low as i'd go. Price wise a VW just doesn't offer me anymore than a mazda(expept engine output wise). When it comes to audi's i'd rather put up with a year round RWD BMW than a A4 for the same price. Maybe i'm just building them wrong but for the same dough i'd take a 3er over a 2.0 a4 just based on percieved(haven't driven the new cars) dynamics alone. On that note a 300+ hp improved G is hard to pass up in the low 30K range.

Obviously i'm doing web comparisons on all these new models until i get close enough to the test driving stage(i'm busy, work 6 days a week and not home until 7 or 8 at night).

As for getting rid of the Z its more extreme thinking than anything. I'm running out of space and time for my cars. I love my Z but that represents 60% of a new car(i could probobly sell it for 18-19K). I would only sell it if i could get a car that could replace its power and performance in a sedan(300+ hp G, etc), its more of a extreme case, but if i sold/traded in my Z i could probobly land a used(03) M5. I like my Z but you can't even tell me a 400HP M5 wouldn't match or easily exceed a 300HP 2 door sports car in both performance and(obviously) functionalilty.

280Z Turbo

Quote(i could probobly sell it for 18-19K).
I dunno 'bout that.

FlatBlackCaddy

umm you find a all stock 96 TT Z and let me know what they are going for(17-19 in my area). I just dropped about 200 in synthetic oils alone not to mention some other minor items(120 in new factory floor mats and a complete detail job). I'll charge whatever i damn well please. :)

I guess if it didn't sell it would totally be my lose.

280Z Turbo

You should know that oil and floor mats don't mean a thing when it comes to the price! You can't get out what you put in.

17-19K seems like a lot, from what other guys in my club have said. Under 15K is more like it (depending on the condition).

SJ_GTI

If you go above 30k I can see the allure of the G35.

But not sure what you mean on the Audi/VW thing. GTI starts around 22k and comes nicely equipped, the GLI is around 24k. Unless you are talking about an A3 (which is essentially a nicer version of the Golf 5-door) Audi's are much more expensive.

You are pretty much right about Audi's being priced close to BMW...Audi's are in general 1-2k cheaper...but when I am spending that much money personally I want the car I like the best, not the car that is the best deal. If you simply like the 3er better there is no compelling reason to get an Audi...it certainly won't offer the "bang for the buck" of an Acura or Infiniti.

Anyway once you are ready I would say drive as many cars as possible, even if it is to simply confirm your opinion. At least you won't question yourself later. This is how I approach it anyway.

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteYou should know that oil and floor mats don't mean a thing when it comes to the price! You can't get out what you put in.

17-19K seems like a lot, from what other guys in my club have said. Under 15K is more like it (depending on the condition).
True, but when it comes time to talk turkey anything that contributes to a "stock" vehicle is important. I didn't beat up the previous owner too much on price because he just spent 2 grand on the 60 K service. Now i would have had to do that myself, atleast a grand in nissan oem parts(belt, pump, seals, etc) and had to put my time wrenching in on top of the grand. Would i have liked to get the car for a grand or 1500 less, sure. Did i consider that this guy just spent 2 grand on the 60 k service which made this car ready to go til atleast 100K, you bet.

I agree that what you put in doesn't get you anything more in the end, unless its itmes that return the car to closest to stock conditions. having a mint interior minus floor mates(i.e. it had no mats) compared to having a mint interior with a fresh pair of factroy embroidered Z floor mates is a saleable difference. Same with having 200 dollars worth(fluid cost alone in synthetic gear/rear end lube and mobile 1 engine oil) put in the car. Its something you would have to do and pay for, if its done then you don't have to pay for it or worry about doing it.

One thing i have noticed is Z prices vary greatly, could i have saved a couple grand by buying in some other state, sure. Would i have to "risk it" and go look at the car and travel accross country, yes. So what is the value of a mint, exactly as you want it, low mileage Z in your area with low milage and all maintance done up to date, whatever you'll pay for it.

A 15K Z in cali is worth 19K in the midwest were Z's are alot more scarce.

I paid more for my stock Z than i could have got a premodified 400hp Z, i paid more for a reason, its stock and i didn't want some pre hacked POS that some kid did all his own work on because he thought he was a high end tuner and in the end possibly corrupted a premo example of a low milage Z.

Sorry for the rant.

Run Away

I can get a '91 Fairlady TT (non 2+2, 5 speed, 57,000miles, some mods) for JPY 390,000 plus the cost of a boatride over. :wave:

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteIf you go above 30k I can see the allure of the G35.

But not sure what you mean on the Audi/VW thing. GTI starts around 22k and comes nicely equipped, the GLI is around 24k. Unless you are talking about an A3 (which is essentially a nicer version of the Golf 5-door) Audi's are much more expensive.

You are pretty much right about Audi's being priced close to BMW...Audi's are in general 1-2k cheaper...but when I am spending that much money personally I want the car I like the best, not the car that is the best deal. If you simply like the 3er better there is no compelling reason to get an Audi...it certainly won't offer the "bang for the buck" of an Acura or Infiniti.

Anyway once you are ready I would say drive as many cars as possible, even if it is to simply confirm your opinion. At least you won't question yourself later. This is how I approach it anyway.
Well like i say, i might be building them wrong, but to get a VW to the feature level i wan't your looking at 30K(hell thats the same with a altima) so compared to other 30 k offerings it seems to fall short.

Surely i'll use buying a new car(my first totally new) as a excuse to test/look at/beat on every new car in town from any manufacturer. Sadly i still must admit i'm nervous of VW/audi because of the poor reliability ratings i here. Wouldn't make a difference in the short term(4-5 years) but in the long run it might come  back to bite me(7-10 years). I'd love a RS4, and would puch my budget to the limit for such a vehicle(maybe i should test drive one to make sure, that would just be fair wouldn't it :) ). It will be tough if i actually decide to spend that much cash, i will always doubt my decision, and always think of what i could have gotten(future model upgrades, etc).

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteI can get a '91 Fairlady TT (non 2+2, 5 speed, 57,000miles, some mods) for JPY 390,000 plus the cost of a boatride over. :wave:
buying a car site unseen is always a good idea n :nono: 0

Run Away

What exactly are you looking for?

Newness?
A warentee?

Run Away

QuoteI can get a '91 Fairlady TT (non 2+2, 5 speed, 57,000miles, some mods) for JPY 390,000 plus the cost of a boatride over. :wave:
buying a car site unseen is always a good idea n :nono: 0
They give you a ton of pics and for the price it's worth the gamble.
That's like $3500 US.

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteWhat exactly are you looking for?

Newness?
A warentee?
both, for the most part.

I no longer have the time or space to work on my cars.

I'm tired of driving my cars and thinking about what needs to be fixed. I don't spend much time driving but with 10 year old cars(although clean and in good shape) there is always something that needs fixing.

In the end i just want to jump in something and enjoy my drive home, not think about what i should be doing to it this weekend(my cars aren't bad, but doing a tuneup on a car seems to take a months worth of planning lately).

Besides if i actually sold 2-3 of my cars i could have almost half the cost of a new mazda 3.