Thinking of a new car

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, May 31, 2006, 08:00:03 PM

Run Away

QuoteWhat exactly are you looking for?

Newness?
A warentee?
both, for the most part.

I no longer have the time or space to work on my cars.

I'm tired of driving my cars and thinking about what needs to be fixed. I don't spend much time driving but with 10 year old cars(although clean and in good shape) there is always something that needs fixing.

In the end i just want to jump in something and enjoy my drive home, not think about what i should be doing to it this weekend(my cars aren't bad, but doing a tuneup on a car seems to take a months worth of planning lately).

Besides if i actually sold 2-3 of my cars i could have almost half the cost of a new mazda 3.
Well since you're a Nissan man, what about a Sentra SE-R?

280Z Turbo

QuoteI can get a '91 Fairlady TT (non 2+2, 5 speed, 57,000miles, some mods) for JPY 390,000 plus the cost of a boatride over. :wave:
buying a car site unseen is always a good idea n :nono: 0
Buying a RHD car you get in NA with LHD isn't a good idea either. :nono:  

Run Away

QuoteI can get a '91 Fairlady TT (non 2+2, 5 speed, 57,000miles, some mods) for JPY 390,000 plus the cost of a boatride over. :wave:
It is when it saves me 50% of puchase price.

FBC: Cobalt SS-SC?

Raghavan

QuoteIf you go above 30k I can see the allure of the G35.

But not sure what you mean on the Audi/VW thing. GTI starts around 22k and comes nicely equipped, the GLI is around 24k. Unless you are talking about an A3 (which is essentially a nicer version of the Golf 5-door) Audi's are much more expensive.

You are pretty much right about Audi's being priced close to BMW...Audi's are in general 1-2k cheaper...but when I am spending that much money personally I want the car I like the best, not the car that is the best deal. If you simply like the 3er better there is no compelling reason to get an Audi...it certainly won't offer the "bang for the buck" of an Acura or Infiniti.

Anyway once you are ready I would say drive as many cars as possible, even if it is to simply confirm your opinion. At least you won't question yourself later. This is how I approach it anyway.
Well like i say, i might be building them wrong, but to get a VW to the feature level i wan't your looking at 30K(hell thats the same with a altima) so compared to other 30 k offerings it seems to fall short.

Surely i'll use buying a new car(my first totally new) as a excuse to test/look at/beat on every new car in town from any manufacturer. Sadly i still must admit i'm nervous of VW/audi because of the poor reliability ratings i here. Wouldn't make a difference in the short term(4-5 years) but in the long run it might come  back to bite me(7-10 years). I'd love a RS4, and would puch my budget to the limit for such a vehicle(maybe i should test drive one to make sure, that would just be fair wouldn't it :) ). It will be tough if i actually decide to spend that much cash, i will always doubt my decision, and always think of what i could have gotten(future model upgrades, etc).
So you're a bit wary of spending over 30k for a new car, but you'll spend the 80k+ for an RS4??? :rolleyes:  

FlatBlackCaddy

Sorry, not that die hard of a fan.

At this point i own one of the better nissan compacts(afaic)

Nissan still hasn't made a compact that surpasses the Engine/chassis combo of the b13. If they did i would buy it. But their decision to use a weak motor(imo) and a solid rear axle doesn't inspire any faith in their performance desires. A 140HP All independant suspensioned LSD equipped 2500lb NX is better than anthing they make now, if i could i'd buy a new NX at the 93 selling price before any sentra(a new NX2000 was 13K in 1993).  

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteIf you go above 30k I can see the allure of the G35.

But not sure what you mean on the Audi/VW thing. GTI starts around 22k and comes nicely equipped, the GLI is around 24k. Unless you are talking about an A3 (which is essentially a nicer version of the Golf 5-door) Audi's are much more expensive.

You are pretty much right about Audi's being priced close to BMW...Audi's are in general 1-2k cheaper...but when I am spending that much money personally I want the car I like the best, not the car that is the best deal. If you simply like the 3er better there is no compelling reason to get an Audi...it certainly won't offer the "bang for the buck" of an Acura or Infiniti.

Anyway once you are ready I would say drive as many cars as possible, even if it is to simply confirm your opinion. At least you won't question yourself later. This is how I approach it anyway.
Well like i say, i might be building them wrong, but to get a VW to the feature level i wan't your looking at 30K(hell thats the same with a altima) so compared to other 30 k offerings it seems to fall short.

Surely i'll use buying a new car(my first totally new) as a excuse to test/look at/beat on every new car in town from any manufacturer. Sadly i still must admit i'm nervous of VW/audi because of the poor reliability ratings i here. Wouldn't make a difference in the short term(4-5 years) but in the long run it might come  back to bite me(7-10 years). I'd love a RS4, and would puch my budget to the limit for such a vehicle(maybe i should test drive one to make sure, that would just be fair wouldn't it :) ). It will be tough if i actually decide to spend that much cash, i will always doubt my decision, and always think of what i could have gotten(future model upgrades, etc).
So you're a bit wary of spending over 30k for a new car, but you'll spend the 80k+ for an RS4??? :rolleyes:
I detect your sarcasm, and total lack of german car ownership.

I've owned german cars(albeit older models). If your going to spend a boatload of money on a potential money pit, your better off spending 2x the money to get 5x the car if the risk is the same.

I'm sure thats vague and a gross generalization for german cars, sorry to anyone who disagrees.

850CSi

Being the troll that I am and because I have one, I'm going to suggest the entry-level 3er. It's not as fun as your Z but it'll make up for it the rest of the time.

I live in Chicago, driving it in the snow is not a problem at all, and I'd imagine you're probably a more skilled driver than I am. But of course you already knew that.

If I were you I'd keep the Z and go for a used TSX.

ifcar

Have you considered the Legacy GT? How about a loaded Mazda3?

SJ_GTI

It is when it saves me 50% of puchase price.

FBC: Cobalt SS-SC?
If he's building a GTI that costs 30k he is looking for more features than a Cobalt offers. A base GTI has different features, but overall comes with more "stuff" than a Cobalt SS S/C.

Ifcar probably knows more details, but I remember reading that Cobalts are pretty high on the reliability scale, so that might offset some of the features missing. Also for under 1k I think you can get something like 240 HP from a fully warrantied GMPP upgrade. That's alot of power for a car in this class...heck its already faster than  the Mazda 3, Civic Si, and RSX anyway.

If I were in his shoes (looking at cars in this class) I would probably wait for the Mazdaspeed 3 to arrive and check that out as well.

ifcar

The Cobalt did very well on the JDPowers IQS, but that doesn't really measure reliability.  

SJ_GTI

QuoteThe Cobalt did very well on the JDPowers IQS, but that doesn't really measure reliability.
No it doesn't, but its a good leading indicator. It is of course impossible to know a new car's long-term reliability until its been out a while, so in absence of that I think the IQS is a good indicator.  :)  

omicron

Get either a Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo, or a new Focus XR5

............Oh.

;)  

Raza

QuoteCivic Si
Stop that, that's a silly notion and I won't stand for it.

Considering the Mazda3s 5 door seems to be the closest thing we're going to get to the C1 Focus ST 3 door, I'd go with that.  Not only does it look great, it's riding on a great platform, has plenty of room to spare, and is pretty quick to boot.  The only car that is a better buy is the MkV Golf GTI, but then again you're pigheaded and wrongly biased against Volkswagen (;)), so you're unlikely to go for that.  

Now I haven't read the entire thread yet, I just saw Rag's idea and had to put a stop to it before he suggested putting an LS7 in the back and making it AWD, but unless luxury is your thing, you might want to look into an Impreza WRX TR.  Looks just like a 2.5i, sans spoiler (and that means in the future, if you want to, you could always install a low-key decklid or lip spoiler) and plus a hood scoop.  If you're not completely averse to buying used, the 2004s should be around 18K or less now (conjecture, of course, I haven't checked, but can if you should ask).  I'm not completely sure what features the TR skimps on, but I'm pretty sure heavy things like power seats, heated seats, and leather are gone.  I think you still have aircon and a CD player.  If you want that, but with leather and the like, the WRX Limited tops out at 28 grand, so fast talking could get you down to 24-26, I think.  If you want something with an even more pampering demeanor, you're going to have to spend 30 grand, or buy used, I think.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm looking for something more on the luxury end of things.

So even though a WRX(i love them) and other compacts are nice cars i'd like something luxury. which is way a loaded mazda 3 looks so good.

Raza

QuoteI'm looking for something more on the luxury end of things.

So even though a WRX(i love them) and other compacts are nice cars i'd like something luxury. which is way a loaded mazda 3 looks so good.
6,000 is no small amount of money, but that's about the difference between a Mazda3s Grand Touring 5 door and a WRX Limited.  I know what I'd do.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

You're killing me FBC, I can't figure out what you want :lol:

TT?  That satisfies luxury, small, manual tranny. But you don't like VW's...

FlatBlackCaddy

I don't have much against VW's, but i just don't think it would be a wise choice in the long run. Besides i don't know if i could be happy with one for 8-10 years.

Raza, i was looking at a WRX limited awhile back, nice package and fairly reasonable at the mid 20 mark, and i am a big time rally fan. I just wish the interior was alittle more comparable to the 3(i love that interior).

Run Away

Just get an '06 RSX while they're trying to get rid of them.

Raza

QuoteI don't have much against VW's, but i just don't think it would be a wise choice in the long run. Besides i don't know if i could be happy with one for 8-10 years.

Raza, i was looking at a WRX limited awhile back, nice package and fairly reasonable at the mid 20 mark, and i am a big time rally fan. I just wish the interior was alittle more comparable to the 3(i love that interior).
I personally think Volkswagens are brilliant, and so does my Uncle Mike (no, he's not my real uncle), and he's been around long enough that he bought an original Beetle new, so he's seen the good and the bad days (currently pursuing a possibility of a GLI) but I do understand your long-term concern.  I personally think a Wolfsburg Golf/Rabbit GTI won't hassle you, even 8-10 years down the road, though I wouldn't make the same bet with a GLI.  I believe the new Golf has been stellar overseas since 2004, but I do not have any hard data for you to back that up.

As far as Ben's notion to get an 06 RSX Type S as they are trying to liquidate supply of a lame duck, that's not a bad way to go.  If your Acura dealers are more willing to play ball than mine, you could end up saving a tidy sum by going that route, however don't just do it because of the money you'd save.  I'm fickle and my tastes change daily, and I don't really keep cars more than two or three years--if you're looking for a long term buy, love the car, and think about its shortcomings.  This being the final year of the RSX, it's most likely the most reliable of the model run, but that doesn't mean it's the best car for you.  It's quick and tight, but if this car is supposed to have more than a modicum of practicality, the RSX may fall short.  If it comes down to the RSX Type S and the Mazda3s 5 door, I would go with the Mazda, not just because I think it's a better looking, more practical car, and a better value as well, but also because I like Mazda as a company (however, that is a personal bias of mine--I like the way they think and the way the approach their business--this may or may not have any bearing on your decision, but you don't strike me as the type to buy a car indiscriminately) more than I like Honda.  Both are good decisions, however.  

Just a reminder, WRX wagons are slightly cheaper than the sedans, and they are willing to negotiate more with them because they are slower sellers.  If you're not image conscious, it's worth a look.  At least give it a try...the weight gain is negligible, and probably gives you a better weight distribution.  And, there's the sleeper factor--cops may follow you home in your 300ZX (try not to sell this, okay?  At least TRY!) but you'd be nigh invisible in an estate car.  

Good luck and happy hunting.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

Thanks for the thoughts raza, i'm trying hard to think about what will still suit me best down the road. As for the practical part of the car, i do very little driving(about 20 miles a day) and normally I am just transporting myself and my laptop, so all in all just about anything would be practical(sans maybe a lotus).

The mazda i can see as probobly being the best long term car, i identify with mazda alot(maybe not directly like you do) but i love the way mazda builds a car. For the most part the mazda's i've driven/owned in the past had excellent chassis dynamics. The steering, brakes and general feel of the car was all about the driver, if the 3 is in anyway better than the MX-6 V-6 i had a couple years ago i would love to drive it as a daily driver for years to come. While this is probobly the big front runner in the ~20K area i'm always open to other options.

All in all i just can't help spending that extra "couple of bucks" to get something fantastic. I'm thinking of a luxury sedan in the 30K range and although it seems like i was going to dump the Z i'm thinking about dumping a couple cars and just stretching myself thin.

At this point(i'm not buying until probobly late summer or early fall(if i'm buying)). I'm really excited about what the new 07 G might be. Going by initial impressions(and pictures) i think this car will be something i'd love to own for 10 or even 15 years.

Note: i actually like the looks of a subie wagon, some guy around town had a clean modded silver WRX wagon. I don't know what he did to it but that sucker moved. I happen to glance out the window of my office and see him coming out of the parts store in the middle of a all-wheel drift, motor racing and tires smoking.

Raza

I have the same problem when I'm shopping for a new guitar.  When I got my $450 Fender, I wanted a $175 Squier, and when I went shopping for a $200 Les Paul, I almost ended up with a $600 one.  You've got to make the decision that suits you best.  I came across this notion a while back, and it's something that I've stuck with; the car has to fit you.  The specs could say this and that and I could that something is the best in class (being the resident journalist, I try to believe it has some clout), or some magazine could call it the best in class, but if it doesn't fit you, obviously it's not the best choice.  They say making emotional decisions is a bad thing, but I'm not talking about doing what my aunt did and let color push the price of the car up $6000 because the only black car had options she didn't want, but the feel of the car, the connection that you make is the most important thing in the decision.  Life is too harsh to drive a boring car that you don't love.  Fitting your needs is an added bonus.

Think about what you really want--I remember the "Christmas morning" feeling you had when you got the 300ZX; parting with it so soon may leave you with a bitter taste in your mouth.

I saw a drag racing vid of a highly modded Camaro SS stepping up to a WRX wagon, and they "director" of the film only had one comment about the Camaro driver: "When the lights went green, he knew it was over".  The WRX smoked him.  Even as I kick around my ideas, the WRX wagon is always in the back of my head tugging at various things in my brain.  

We've all done a lot of thinking on this--seems about time to get out and do some driving, eh?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Champ

didn't read the whole thread but you should sell me the 300ZX.

Raza

QuoteGet a GTO then...
To whom are you talking?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

QuoteGet a GTO then...
To whom are you talking?
both of you fools who can't make up your minds. :praise:  

Raza

QuoteGet a GTO then...
To whom are you talking?
I've already put a call in about what I'm getting...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

QuoteGet a GTO then...
To whom are you talking?
WRX wagon?

Raza

QuoteGet a GTO then...
To whom are you talking?
WRX wagon?
It depends on a timetable--that is, if the car I want will be available at the time I want it.  If not, it'll have to wait till 2009.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Poor Raza. What will he do without a sunroof?

Raza

QuotePoor Raza. What will he do without a sunroof?
Yeah, I don't have any sliding doors to comfort me.

:)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i