New Mustangs?

Started by SVT666, June 12, 2006, 10:06:56 AM

SVT666

Two rumours I have been seeing on Mustang boards lately are:

1. When the Mustang gets a facelift for 2009, a Boss 302 will roll out with a 400+hp 5.0L based on the 302 Cammmer.  The car will weigh around the same as a stock GT.  Straight line performance should equal the GT500 and it will outperform any Mustang ever built in the twisties.

2. SVT will be issueing a GT500KR modelled after the GT-R Concept to keep on the tradition of the Cobra R.

There could be some truth behind these, or they are rumours that were started just to try and get Ford to act on them if they get enough support.  Either way, I like the ideas a lot.

El Barto

They're probably rumors, but if they arent, then this next part of the message is for Ford:

BUILD THEM!!!!   :rockon:
2016 Volkswagen GTI (Aug 2015 - Present)
2008 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg (Aug 2011 - Aug 2015)
2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t (Oct 2007 - Aug 2011)
1990 Nissan Maxima SE (July 2003 - Oct 2007)

SVT666

I really want to see the Boss 302 go into production.  That car would be absolutely scary.

MX793

The Boss sounds awesome.  In fact, the stats sound pretty close to what I was thinking for a GT350 varient.  I'm still holding out for a Bullitt edition.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Just so long as it is naturally aspirated and not forced industion.

SVT666

I found something on another forum.  The rumour is that Ford Racing will be offering a Power Upgrade Package for the GT500 that will push 700hp out of the 5.4L.

SJ_GTI

I've got a Mustang rental at the moment. Its only the auto V6 but its still a fun car to drive (although the transmission really bites). Call me crazy but I think I would actually prefer a relatively high-revving V6 (or small V8) over a big honkin iron block/supercharged V8.

I never pictured myself as a "mustang guy" and really I still don't, but I have convinced myself to test drive a Mustang GT before I by anything. The biggest gripe I've heard about the mustang is the interior...and even though I am driving the cheapest version I think its fine. Sure the plastics are hard, but they line up and they look nice.

SVT666

QuoteI've got a Mustang rental at the moment. Its only the auto V6 but its still a fun car to drive (although the transmission really bites). Call me crazy but I think I would actually prefer a relatively high-revving V6 (or small V8) over a big honkin iron block/supercharged V8.

I never pictured myself as a "mustang guy" and really I still don't, but I have convinced myself to test drive a Mustang GT before I by anything. The biggest gripe I've heard about the mustang is the interior...and even though I am driving the cheapest version I think its fine. Sure the plastics are hard, but they line up and they look nice.
...and the interior upgrade package makes the interior 100% better.  It's like night and day.  I wanted to suggest a Mustang GT to you, but you were really set on a luxury performance sedan.

MX793

QuoteI've got a Mustang rental at the moment. Its only the auto V6 but its still a fun car to drive (although the transmission really bites). Call me crazy but I think I would actually prefer a relatively high-revving V6 (or small V8) over a big honkin iron block/supercharged V8.

Personally, I could see myself owning a V6 Mustang with the Pony Package and the manual transmission.  Low 7-second 0-60, RWD, decent looking inside and out (my opinion)...  Seems like a package I would enjoy.  I had been searching for a used '99+ V6 Mustang when I was shopping for my Mazda but I just couldn't get past the ugly and cheap looking interior (That and finding one with a manual transmission was next to impossible).  The new one's interior, even if it is a little on the cheap side, is at least attractive looking and the ergonomics are better.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

You're better off getting a used 05 GT.  The Mustang does nothing to dynamically set itself apart in its class, so its price has to be the thing that does it.  At a loaded price of 30 thousand for the GT coupe, it comes out 4 thousand cheaper than the GTO, up to 8 less than the 350Z, 2 or 3 less than the RX-8, et al.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

QuoteYou're better off getting a used 05 GT.  The Mustang does nothing to dynamically set itself apart in its class, so its price has to be the thing that does it.  At a loaded price of 30 thousand for the GT coupe, it comes out 4 thousand cheaper than the GTO, up to 8 less than the 350Z, 2 or 3 less than the RX-8, et al.
From a performance/dollar standpoint, a slightly used V8 does make more sense than a new V6, but when you factor in insurance, fuel consumption, and a new car warranty (plus knowing that the car hasn't had the piss wrung out of it by a previous owner) the V6 a great deal of appeal.
Needs more Jiggawatts

SJ_GTI

QuoteYou're better off getting a used 05 GT.? The Mustang does nothing to dynamically set itself apart in its class, so its price has to be the thing that does it.? At a loaded price of 30 thousand for the GT coupe, it comes out 4 thousand cheaper than the GTO, up to 8 less than the 350Z, 2 or 3 less than the RX-8, et al.
From a performance/dollar standpoint, a slightly used V8 does make more sense than a new V6, but when you factor in insurance, fuel consumption, and a new car warranty (plus knowing that the car hasn't had the piss wrung out of it by a previous owner) the V6 a great deal of appeal.
Its deinfitely a better deal, but I don't think I could live with this V6. Its reaosnably fast, but reminds me of the 4.2L pushrod GM got rid of (for good reason).

MX793

QuoteYou're better off getting a used 05 GT.  The Mustang does nothing to dynamically set itself apart in its class, so its price has to be the thing that does it.  At a loaded price of 30 thousand for the GT coupe, it comes out 4 thousand cheaper than the GTO, up to 8 less than the 350Z, 2 or 3 less than the RX-8, et al.
Its deinfitely a better deal, but I don't think I could live with this V6. Its reaosnably fast, but reminds me of the 4.2L pushrod GM got rid of (for good reason).
Well, it is a 2 valve motor originally intended for a truck.  I don't mind my engines being a little on the rough side at higher RPMs.  The old KA24 that my 240SX had was pretty thrashy when you got up to 5500+ RPM, so I'm kind of used to it.  I certainly appreciate an engine that runs smooth all the way to redline, but a little bit of thrashiness isn't a terrible turn-off.  I haven't driven one yet, though, so maybe it's worse than I think it would be.
Needs more Jiggawatts

SJ_GTI

QuoteYou're better off getting a used 05 GT.? The Mustang does nothing to dynamically set itself apart in its class, so its price has to be the thing that does it.? At a loaded price of 30 thousand for the GT coupe, it comes out 4 thousand cheaper than the GTO, up to 8 less than the 350Z, 2 or 3 less than the RX-8, et al.
Well, it is a 2 valve motor originally intended for a truck.  I don't mind my engines being a little on the rough side at higher RPMs.  The old KA24 that my 240SX had was pretty thrashy when you got up to 5500+ RPM, so I'm kind of used to it.  I certainly appreciate an engine that runs smooth all the way to redline, but a little bit of thrashiness isn't a terrible turn-off.  I haven't driven one yet, though, so maybe it's worse than I think it would be.
Its thrashy at any RPM above 2k.

Its redline is below 6k! Ouch!

My 1.8T was considered thrashy and it is nothing compared to the Mustang V6.

But, I do understand the Mjstang V6 is the way it is for one reason: Its cheap to build. I understand not every car in the world is built to suit Mtl_A4.  :lol:  

Raza

At 20 grand, I'd rather have a GTI or something along those lines.  19K for the cheapest RWD car is nice, but when it's not really any good, 19K is too much.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

The Boss 302 sounds absolutely awesome! I want one.

Raza

What's the point of all these Mustangs?  Why not build a stripper, with the regualr 300bhp engine, a proper rear suspension, and ~3000 pounds?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

QuoteAt 20 grand, I'd rather have a GTI or something along those lines.  19K for the cheapest RWD car is nice, but when it's not really any good, 19K is too much.
I wouldn't say it's not any good.  Even with the live rear axle, the Mustang GT can run the slalom right on the heels of an RX8.  The V6's biggest handling handicap is that it comes with crappy tires, but the pony package gives you the 235 width, 17 inch performance tires that the GT comes with, so I suspect handling would be pretty good.
Needs more Jiggawatts

JYODER240

QuoteWhat's the point of all these Mustangs?  Why not build a stripper, with the regualr 300bhp engine, a proper rear suspension, and ~3000 pounds?
Because the only ones to buy one would be a handful of enthusiats.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

QuoteAt 20 grand, I'd rather have a GTI or something along those lines.  19K for the cheapest RWD car is nice, but when it's not really any good, 19K is too much.
I wouldn't say it's not any good.  Even with the live rear axle, the Mustang GT can run the slalom right on the heels of an RX8.  The V6's biggest handling handicap is that it comes with crappy tires, but the pony package gives you the 235 width, 17 inch performance tires that the GT comes with, so I suspect handling would be pretty good.
It's really not a very sharp car...slalom doesn't mean everything.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

QuoteYou're better off getting a used 05 GT.  The Mustang does nothing to dynamically set itself apart in its class, so its price has to be the thing that does it.  At a loaded price of 30 thousand for the GT coupe, it comes out 4 thousand cheaper than the GTO, up to 8 less than the 350Z, 2 or 3 less than the RX-8, et al.
I'd much rather have a GTO, and while stickers are $4k apart I bet what you'd actually end up paying would be much closer, if not dead even (I'm assuming they're discounting GTOs pretty heavily, no?)

Raza

I'd much rather have a GTO, and while stickers are $4k apart I bet what you'd actually end up paying would be much closer, if not dead even (I'm assuming they're discounting GTOs pretty heavily, no?)
They may be now, but you're getting more than 4K more car.  The interior is better, both aesthetically and materiel), the shifter and clutch are better, the handling is better, it looks better (opinion, I know), and is roomier (by my judgment, I haven't checked the actual dimensions).  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Catman

I like the GTO too but the Mustang is the better looking of the two.  Not that the GTO is bad looking it just has no edge to it whatsoever.  Plain Jane.

Raza

QuoteI like the GTO too but the Mustang is the better looking of the two.  Not that the GTO is bad looking it just has no edge to it whatsoever.  Plain Jane.
You're just too used to retro crap--the Mustang isn't anything new, just something flashy.  The GTO is a classicly good looker.  It's Anne Hathaway, the Mustang is Britney Spears...it won't look good in a few years, but the GTO will continue to get classier.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Catman

QuoteI like the GTO too but the Mustang is the better looking of the two.  Not that the GTO is bad looking it just has no edge to it whatsoever.  Plain Jane.
You're just too used to retro crap--the Mustang isn't anything new, just something flashy.  The GTO is a classicly good looker.  It's Anne Hathaway, the Mustang is Britney Spears...it won't look good in a few years, but the GTO will continue to get classier.
I don't agree at all.

Raza

QuoteI like the GTO too but the Mustang is the better looking of the two.  Not that the GTO is bad looking it just has no edge to it whatsoever.  Plain Jane.
I don't agree at all.
It's okay that you're wrong.  

;)  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

I don't think the retro theme of the Mustang will age well, but neither will the goat its too bland, and bulbous, too 90's.

Raza

That's the ugliest GTO I could find, and it's still pretty.  

What's wrong with you people?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Raza these are beautiful cars:

Along with 240Z's, Dino's, E-types, Miura's, TT's, V8 Vantage, GT40's, Quattroporte's,etc.

The GTO is no more beautiful than a Grand Prix.

Raza

I'm with you on the 355GTB, but the 300ZX?  But I do agree that "beautiful" is too strong a word for the GTO.  It's definitely a great looking car, but the only modern car that can really be considered "beautiful" is probably the TT, and maybe the XKR.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i