Statesman V8: 362hp 6.0 V8, 6L80E 6-speed automatic

Caprice V8: 362hp 6.0 V8, 6L80E 6-speed automatic

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

omicron

LONGER AND WIDER
Much of the engineering information will not be released until next week -- July 24-25. Stats like wheelbase and track are all embargoed though unofficially CarPoint can reveal the new VE's wheelbase is a whopping 126mm (4.96 inches) longer than the outgoing VT-VZ range (2789mm).

The WM gets an extra 94mm over the VE -- at a total almost 3010mm (118.5 inches), the long-wheelbase luxury Holden dwarfs the current Caprice (2939) and is up on the likes of Audi's A8 (2944) and BMW 7 Series (2990).

Track dimensions are up too. The VE features all-new suspension front and rear (the rear's a multi-link independent set-up) and its 'wheel at each corner' look and wide stance comes thanks to (according to 'our' launch source) a 33mm increase in front track and a 41mm stretch at the rear.

Compared to the Falcon and its derivatives, the new VE's stance is a whole generation 'squatter' -- witness the VE's 2915 mm (114.7 inches) wheelbase, 1602mm (63 inches) front track and 1618mm (63.7 inches) rear track in comparison to the Ford's 2829/1553/1571mm stats.

SAFETY
Mooney stated at the launch that safety was a key factor in the new vehicle.

"The chassis is designed to accommodate a range of active and passive safety technologies as well as the crashworthiness expected in many different markets," he said.

At pains to avoid a discussion of whether the car would achieve five-star NCAP rating when questioned after the unveiling, Mooney stated he was "confident the car would crash well."

The VE's suite of safety aids includes: Electronic Stability Program standard on all models; driver, front passenger and side impact airbags available on all models (the breakdown of standard versus optional has not been released) and curtain airbags available on all models (standard on SS V, Calais and Calais V; optional on Omega, Berlina, SV6 and SS).

Raza

QuoteThis isn't fair.
Agreed.  The Commodore SS-V 6 speed is my kind of family saloon.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AnotherVictim

Assuming of course that GM and Holden are still the same company, I just don't see why they either don't bring this over, or make these cars in North America!?

This is the answer to what many here would be looking for in a sporty sedan! As for american offerings, there's hardly any ( save maybe a decked out Fusion for a mainstream sport sedan ) at all!

I guess I could say the same for ford when it comes to the Falcon line.

Guys ( Ford/GM, you listening....? ) Bring these models here!!

MX793

OHC V6s, RWD and 6MTs offered in non-premium sedans?  Surely this cannot be the same GM that peddles boring FWD platforms (some quite long in the tooth) with weezy pushrod 6-pots coupled only to 4 speed automatics here in the US.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrEddy

They look and sound very impressive. The design really needed an update badly and I think they've done a bloody good job with it. Looks much more modern but not too off the wall. Bit of a Galant resemblance from behind.

Can't wait to see what the HSV boys will do with it.

Catman

Hot!  A perfect replacement for the Maxima! :rockon:  

omicron

Shane

Another blandmobile by Holden.  It's ten years too late.  It's already dated looking.

JYODER240

QuoteAnother blandmobile by Holden.  It's ten years too late.  It's already dated looking.
Do you know of any other family-sedans that look or perform as well?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Tom

Fuck, this is close to perfect.

S204STi

Whilst in New Zealand I had the opportunity to be surrounded by all sorts of nice rear-drive, high-power cars, and I had to wonder how the Australians got one up on us!  But then I thought about Crocodile Dundee.  "You call that a knife? This is a knife!"

omicron

These VE prices are amazing. Absolutely amazing.

The $US prices are 75% of the $AU you see here - base VE Omegas are therefore $25,800, an SS-V manual is $38,800, and a Caprice V8 is $52,338.
Of course, cars are more expensive generally in Australia than they are in the US; an SS-V is around the same price as a Monaro was, so US$33,000 (the GTO's RRP) gives a better indication of its relativity to the US market.  

pommes-t

Yep, these cars show me again, that GM has stupid managers.
They could easily have a cheap new Chevy Caprice that a lot of elderly people, police departments and taxi owners would love to buy. And the Ute could be brought over as a new El Camino (I love the old ones, especially the '70 SS)- and the others cars could simply be some nice sedans.

GM, IF YOU GO ON LIKE THIS YOU AREN'T WORTH TO COEXIST NEXT TO TOYOTA!!! DO SOMETHING!

omicron

The biggest problem is that weight is likely to go up, and therefore so too is fuel consumption. Deserved or not, if this Commodore increases its fuel consumption, I suspect that the Australian media is going to sensationalise the fuel issue and unfairly crucify it as some kind of wasteful barge.  

omicron

Holden made headlines this week when it announced the all-new Commodore does not come with a full-sized spare wheel. If you want one, you'll have to pay for it. But that's not the big news.

A quick ring around to tyre retailers this week revealed part of the reason Holden isn't including full-sized spares as standard: the tyres for the new range are so expensive.

A new set of tyres on the Commodore SS-V is likely to cost close to $3500. And the replacement tyres on the base car have nearly doubled, to almost $1000.

The recommended retail price of the 19-inch Bridgestone tyres on the SS-V are $947.40 each ($3789 for a set of four) but a tyre dealer Drive contacted said most customers could get the price discounted to about $875 per tyre ($3500 for a set of four).

The new Commodore's optional 20-inch tyres have a RRP of $1079 (or $4316 a set) but this would likely be discounted to $950 per tyre. By comparison, the performance tyres on the current SS Commodores cost about $1600 for a set of four.

AU$4316 = US$3248

:o

Raza

I'd prefer 18"s anyway.  What kind of tires are they running, Pirelli P Zeros?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

QuoteI'd prefer 18"s anyway.  What kind of tires are they running, Pirelli P Zeros?
Luxury VZ HSVs used the Pirelli P-Zero, sport models the Yokohama Advan Sport and the GTS used the P-Zero Nero, but all VE Holdens will use Bridgestones.  

Raza

That's some expensive rubber.  I'd only run them on trackdays, if it were me, and use something a little less expensive on them.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

Fuel consumption figures released today:

Omega V6 4sp auto  10.9 litres per 100km / 21.6 mpg
Berlina V6 4sp auto  10.9 / 21.6
Berlina V8 6sp auto  14.3 / 16.4
SV6 V6 6sp man  11.0 / 21.4
SV6 V6 5sp auto  11.3 / 20.8
SS V8 6sp man  14.4 / 16.3
SS V8 6sp auto  14.3 / 16.4
SS V V8 6sp man   14.4 / 16.3
SS V V8 6sp auto  14.3 / 16.4
Calais V6 5sp auto  11.3 / 20.8
Calais V8 6sp auto  14.3 / 16.4
Calais V V6 5sp auto  11.6 / 20.3
Calais V V8 6sp auto   14.3 / 16.4

* All figures were achieved with air conditioning equipped and running 95RON unleaded petrol.

These are effectively the same as the VZ models - the base V6 and manual V8s go down slightly, the automatic V8s go up slightly. For a car that is rumoured to weigh up to 100kg more than the VZ, that's not too bad, I suppose.  

MX793

QuoteHolden made headlines this week when it announced the all-new Commodore does not come with a full-sized spare wheel. If you want one, you'll have to pay for it. But that's not the big news.

A quick ring around to tyre retailers this week revealed part of the reason Holden isn't including full-sized spares as standard: the tyres for the new range are so expensive.

A new set of tyres on the Commodore SS-V is likely to cost close to $3500. And the replacement tyres on the base car have nearly doubled, to almost $1000.

The recommended retail price of the 19-inch Bridgestone tyres on the SS-V are $947.40 each ($3789 for a set of four) but a tyre dealer Drive contacted said most customers could get the price discounted to about $875 per tyre ($3500 for a set of four).

The new Commodore's optional 20-inch tyres have a RRP of $1079 (or $4316 a set) but this would likely be discounted to $950 per tyre. By comparison, the performance tyres on the current SS Commodores cost about $1600 for a set of four.

AU$4316 = US$3248

:o
Aren't tires generally kind of expensive in Australia?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

93JC

QuoteFuel consumption figures released today:
Combined urban-extra urban?

omicron

QuoteFuel consumption figures released today:
Combined urban-extra urban?
Basically, yes. Some European standard that I looked at a few hours ago but can't remember now.  ;)  

93JC

Then they're not particularly good figures... :(

I hoped they would be urban.

omicron

QuoteThen they're not particularly good figures... :(

I hoped they would be urban.
To give them some relativity, they are almost the same as an equivalent Falcon or Mitsubishi 380 / Galant.  

omicron

This is the testing procedure (UN ECE R101):

Urban cycle: To be carried out in a laboratory at an ambient temperature of 20?C to 30?C on a rolling road from a cold start, i.e. the engine has not run for several hours.

The cycle consists of a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerations and idling. Maximum speed is 50 km/h (31 mph), average speed is 19 km/h (12 mph) and the distance covered is 4 km (2.5 miles).

Extra-urban cycle: This cycle is conducted immediately after the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations, and some idling.

Maximum speed is 120 km/h (75 mph), average speed is 63 km/h (39 mph) and the distance covered is 7 km (4.3 miles).  

The combined fuel consumption figure represents an average of the two tests with a weighting for the distance covered in each part.

Tave

QuoteBut then I thought about Crocodile Dundee.  "You call that a knife? This is a knife!"
To be fair, that mugger had a swiss army knife you'd give to an 8-year old. It was like sticking a Suburban next to a Smart-for-two.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.