Truck Tires

Started by MaxPower, August 01, 2006, 07:32:43 PM

MaxPower

I need new tires for my Tacoma and was hoping for some help from all of you.

Here's the criteria: I put a lot of highway miles on my truck but I need a fairly aggressive tire for my driveway, which, especially in the winter, can be hell to get out of.  Something like the BFGoodrich All-Terrain is probably too aggressive, but on the same token, I don't want too slick street tire.  So I guess I'm looking for a more aggressive all-season.

I'm thinking of the BFGoodrich Rugged-Terrain but I'm not sold on it yet.  I've done some Tirerack explorations and found a few others, like the Pirelli Scorpian ATR, that look more interesting.  

I'm willing to spend money on these things...I want a good tire.  Any suggestions?

280Z Turbo

What size?

Why is a BFG All-terrain "too aggresive"?

They're awesome tires. My friend has them. They do great in the snow and on gravel, but they do make more noise.

giant_mtb

Firestone Destination A/T

SargeMonkey

Super Swampers! Nah, we have wild countries on our truck, they are 100k mile tires and have great traction on and off the road. I think we got them at les swab.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

280Z Turbo

IMHO, Yokohama, Kuhmo and BF Goodrich are the only good tire companies.

Sure you can get good tires from Goodyear, Firestone, etc. but they cost a hell of a lot more.

Have you considered the Yokohama Geolandar A/T?

MaxPower

QuoteWhat size?

Why is a BFG All-terrain "too aggresive"?

They're awesome tires. My friend has them. They do great in the snow and on gravel, but they do make more noise.
I'm looking for 265/70 - 16.  I think the BFG all terrain is too aggressive because of the extra noise and because I'm afraid the knobby rubber will hurt my gas mileage.  I have limited knowledge of them--my brother-in-law has a set on his Tacoma and I know a few other people with them.  They like 'em but do say they're noisy.

Does anyone have any opinions on Pirelli Scorpians?

280Z Turbo

My dad has these on the Dakota. They're not all terrain, but they are good highway truck tires. They did well in the snow and rain and are fairly quiet, I guess.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...e1=yes&place=14

MaxPower

I'm looking into the Geolander...looks like a good tire.  Cost is less than the pirellis or BFGs (I've just about ruled out the Rugged-Terrains).  How's tread wear?

280Z Turbo

Good, I guess. We've only had the tires since last fall.

The tread isn't as wide as an A/T tire, but that's mostly a styling issue.

Pancor

The Pirelli Scorpion ATR is a "poseur"  tire...  Meant for Benz and Lexus SUV's...   The Scorpion AT on the other hand is a great tire.  The knobbiness won't hurt your fuel mileage, it'll only make a slight amount more noise, but if you're concerned about that, you should have bought an RX330.      

Here's are my choices in order:

1 - Pirelli Scorpion AT
2 - Yokohama Geolandar A/T+2
3 - Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmour
4 - Toyo Open Country AT

MaxPower

QuoteThe Pirelli Scorpion ATR is a "poseur"  tire...  Meant for Benz and Lexus SUV's...   The Scorpion AT on the other hand is a great tire.  The knobbiness won't hurt your fuel mileage, it'll only make a slight amount more noise, but if you're concerned about that, you should have bought an RX330.      

1 - Pirelli Scorpion AT
4 - Toyo Open Country AT
Thanks for the opinions on the Pirellis...

after looking at the tread on Tirerack and I did decide that the ATR wasn't what I want.  I just found out that the AT is available locally for the same price so I'll probably go in that direction.  

280Z Turbo

QuoteThe Pirelli Scorpion ATR is a "poseur"  tire...  Meant for Benz and Lexus SUV's...   The Scorpion AT on the other hand is a great tire.  The knobbiness won't hurt your fuel mileage, it'll only make a slight amount more noise, but if you're concerned about that, you should have bought an RX330.      

1 - Pirelli Scorpion AT
4 - Toyo Open Country AT
You can't assume that they have those tires in his size.

I know that they don't have Yokohama A/Ts in that size, I looked.

Raza

Pirelli P Zero Corsas.

(I don't know anything about truck tires)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MaxPower

QuotePirelli P Zero Corsas.

that's ok that you don't know much about truck tires.  i'm glad you responded anyway.  this thread wouldn't have been a true carspin thread without your wit and, in this case, somewhat misguided wisdom.

Raza

QuotePirelli P Zero Corsas.

that's ok that you don't know much about truck tires.  i'm glad you responded anyway.  this thread wouldn't have been a true carspin thread without your wit and, in this case, somewhat misguided wisdom.
Flattery will get you everywhere.

:D  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SargeMonkey

I still like our wild country's. They have survived a drive up glass butte, a mountian made of obsidian. (think broken glass) They are silent on the highway, and have great wear on our 8400 pound truck. We use it on road and off, it does great on both.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

MaxPower

it's been a month...I finally ordered the pirelli Scorpian A/T's today.  Should be here next week but I'm not in a hurry to get them mounted.  I'll have them put on when I get the chance, probably sometime in mid-September.  Maybe sooner, we'll see how excited I get when they come.

Raza

Quote from: MaxPower on August 31, 2006, 05:53:09 PM
it's been a month...I finally ordered the pirelli Scorpian A/T's today.  Should be here next week but I'm not in a hurry to get them mounted.  I'll have them put on when I get the chance, probably sometime in mid-September.  Maybe sooner, we'll see how excited I get when they come.

I was close.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MaxPower

Quote from: Raza on September 03, 2006, 10:49:24 AM
I was close.

maybe I'll buy the Pzeros after all  :rolleyes:....they called me the next day and said there were only two tires in stock.  the a/t is discontinued and i'm having a helluva time finding four.  i'll probably have to settle on another tire.  :banghead:

Raza

Quote from: MaxPower on September 03, 2006, 06:00:42 PM
maybe I'll buy the Pzeros after all  :rolleyes:....they called me the next day and said there were only two tires in stock.  the a/t is discontinued and i'm having a helluva time finding four.  i'll probably have to settle on another tire.  :banghead:

That sucks.  Are there replacements for the A/Ts?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

When I get new tires for my truck, I'm ordering from here:
http://www.high-tec-retreading.com/sizes.html
You could get the A/T-D (Dunlap) in your size. They look highway friendlyy enought. And you can't beat $60 each, or $77.50 with Green Diamond (read about them, it's a pretty neat concept)
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

These are what I'm buying.

The Pirate

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 22, 2006, 01:49:11 PM
These are what I'm buying.

I remember a piece in C/D where John Phillips goes somewhere (I want to say Greenland) and has the opportunity to drive an arctic prepared Toyota Tundra, equipped with Dick Cepek tires.  One of the tires is apparently losing air, so the other guy with him informs Phillips that he "has a leaking Dick."  I can't remember exactly what Phillips wrote about it, but he mentions pondering a deeper meaning, before realizing the tire needs air.

So, I guess you should be prepared for the inevitable leaking Dick comments, or maybe worn Dick, I would imagine you could get creative there.

Nice tires, BTW.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

S204STi

Quote from: MaxPower on September 22, 2006, 10:48:48 AM
i've heard some good things about Coopers

For the price they ain't bad, and I have yet to mount a tire that came up with excessive road force (radial variation).

Nebtek2002

Goodyear Wragler AT/S is a good tire. I put 65,000 miles on a set I had on my Ranger before switching to Cooper Discoverer ATRs.

Goodyear has become frightfully expensive since 2000. That and the fact that the Ranger takes a 225/70R14 size that none of that Goodyear dealers seem to carry in stock any more led me to Cooper.

One thing I've noticed in the month I've had the Coopers is much less road noise.

Even new, the Wrangler AT/S is a noisy tire above 60 mph.

AT/S was very good on snow, even up to the past winter @ 56,000+ miles ,but they never were as good as Cooper on wet leaves and frost. It hasn't snowed since I got the Coopers, so I don't know about snow traction yet.

Time will tell if I'll get anywhere near 65,000 miles on the Coopers, though. The tires are warranted for 50,000 miles treadwear. If they get that much my cost-per mile will equal that of Goodyear.

If you buy a Ranger with standard all-season Firestone FR 480s, get Coopers or Goodyears on it after 12,000 miles. FR 480s still have lots of tread after a year, but that second winter's traction shows a huge fall-off from the first.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MaxPower on September 22, 2006, 10:48:48 AM
i've heard some good things about Coopers
I maxed the SHO on some all-season Coopers.
Guess what speed rating they were??   :nono:  :lol:
Will

Raghavan

http://www.maxxis.com/products/automotive/product_detail.asp?id=282
I don't think anyone suggested Maxxis. If their automotive tires are as good as bicycle tires, they must be very good.
Or maybe this:
http://www.maxxis.com/products/automotive/product_detail.asp?id=191

Rupert

Welcome to a month ago.

If I recall, Maxxis are pretty overpriced for bike tires. Panaracer XC all the way!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA