VE first drive

Started by omicron, August 06, 2006, 08:15:40 AM

omicron

Transmission tested: Six-speed manual

It?s raining, foggy and cold. Welcome to Melbourne in mid-winter. Welcome to the first media drive of Holden?s all-new VE Commodore, a car that has the future of the local vehicle manufacturing industry resting on its substantial fenders.

Put simply the SS-V makes the driving easy by boosting the confidence of the average driver.

So, the worst conditions possible in which to get to know VE, particularly the new hero sports model SS-V with its 6.0-litre ?Gen IV? V8, 270kW and 530Nm?

Just the opposite as a matter of fact. For in conditions where its predecessor VZ Commodore SS would have slipped, slid and generally demanded caution and maximum respect, the SS-V showed its true and significant capabilities.

Put simply the SS-V makes the driving easy by boosting the confidence of the average driver.

But it also has the depth of ability to reward those with higher expectations.  

In conditions that Noah would welcome the SS-V was poised, responsive, stable, nimble and awesomely quick.

It is undoubtedly Australia?s new muscle car King.

You?ve read for the last few weeks about the big ticket items that Holden has developed with its $1 billion VE Commodore budget. But only the driving communicates how well it has all been transformed from a set of componentry to a car that seems to almost live and breathe.

It?s in the way the throttle has been calibrated to provide instant but modulated response, the way the brake pedal connects the foot and brain to the caliper, pads and discs.

It?s in the way the steering responds to inputs crisply and sharply but with consistency and feel. Maybe it?s too light on initial turn-in, but there?s no doubt moving the steering rack forward of the front axle line has eradicated the VZ Commodore?s variable weighting and unpredictable vagueness.

The sports suspension (codenamed FE2) version of Holden?s new multi-link MacPherson strut front and 4.5 multi-link rear suspension combine with the drum-tight body to provide inspiring grip, minimal roll and ? paradoxically ? an entirely liveable and comfortable day-to-day ride.

All this delivered through superb 19-inch Bridgestone tyres specifically tuned for the car.

Even the unloved Tremec T-56 manual gearbox is in relatively fine-shifting form here, mating to a manageable clutch pedal action and shorter throw for the shifter.

But the beauty of the big 6.0-litre V8 is that its generous spread of torque allows a set and forget approach to gears. Sixth gear for highway economy, third for your favourite winding road, first for launches. Easy.

If you?re wondering how the engine works with the new six-speed automatic check out our separate review of the Commodore SS.

The engine?s fierce but friendly nature is backed by a luscious exhaust note, never strident, constantly rising and falling in concert with engine revs and made all the more obvious by a startlingly quiet cabin.

The SS-V?s quad tail pipes are an appropriate exclamation mark for the best noise made by a locally manufactured car. They are also a snapshot of a convincing, cohesive styling job. From almost any exterior angle the SS-V is an imposing bit of gear. Only from straight in front do the fenders protrude disconcertingly. Otherwise they meld into the rising bodyline.

Inside, there?s a modern, techno cockpit including 6.5 inch colour screen, a grippy flat-bottom steering wheel and commodious passenger space.

The sports seat base might be too high ? even at its lowest setting - for some, and the instrumentation is not the easiest to read, but there?s not a lot else to pick at here. Oh yeah, and we?re not entirely convinced about the bright red, cheap-looking readout for the oil pressure gauge and battery?s volt meter that dominates the top of the dash.

Yes, Commodore and SS-V have their issues. Fuel economy, space saver spare tyres, no split-folding seat and a diminishing audience are all among them.

But on this gloomy, dank day, the SS-V still shines brightly as a great driver?s car.

One of the greatest ever designed and built in this country.

Raza

Hate that color, and they did a little too much on the front end there, but I want one.  SS-V, 6 speed, in black.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

Performance figures
Holden's Lang Lang Proving Ground
Track: damp

SS-V automatic
0-100km/h: 5.69
400m: 13.9 @ 167.7km

SS-V manual
0-100km/h: 5.35
400m: 13.63 @170.7km

LSD is standard, by the way.

Atomic

i'll take one in nearly any shade of red. i bet it would look awesome in a "candy apple" color w/ black leather  :praise: !

Raza

I look better in basic black.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mazda6er

I could do without the wing.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

S204STi

Raza

QuoteI could do without the wing.
Something a little lower would be nice.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i