Autobild: Lexus LS460 vs Mercedes-Benz S500

Started by cawimmer430, August 10, 2006, 07:40:29 AM

omicron

850CSi

I like the new S-Klasse from the outside, but I still think the interior design is horrendous.

The new LS is just another boat. And while the old one was a little bland, this one's just ugly from the front.

I'd take an A8 over any car in that class.

BMWDave

QuoteI like the new S-Klasse from the outside, but I still think the interior design is horrendous.

The new LS is just another boat. And while the old one was a little bland, this one's just ugly from the front.

I agree with you about the LS and S Class.  The A8 is beautiful, but I'd just as soon take the Jag or BMW.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

QuoteI like the new S-Klasse from the outside, but I still think the interior design is horrendous.

I agree with you about the LS and S Class.  The A8 is beautiful, but I'd just as soon take the Jag or BMW.
The Jag's weight and price make me lean towards that one, but the A8 is a wonderful car.  The 7 series is neither as dynamic as the XJR, nor as luxurious as the A8.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

I have been considering a 2004 XJR for quite some time now.  Used, they can be quite cheap, and still in great condition.  

Although...I would have a super difficult time selling the 7 for one.  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

I have been considering a 2004 XJR for quite some time now.  Used, they can be quite cheap, and still in great condition.  

Although...I would have a super difficult time selling the 7 for one.
Sell it to a BMW dealer.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

jadewolf123

Jag XJR is the hottest large saloon out there, with the Quattroporte in close second.

2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

Raza

But the LS has autopilot.  That's like a jet.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

QuoteJag XJR is the hottest large saloon out there, with the Quattroporte in close second.

I can't stand the nose of the Quat.  :ph34r:  

Raza

No single angle of the Quattroporte looks good, but for some reason, when the whole design comes together, it looks right.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

nevadajack

QuoteNo single angle of the Quattroporte looks good, but for some reason, when the whole design comes together, it looks right.
Except for the Buick RoadMaster holes in the fender sides....that goes back to the early 50's!

Raza

QuoteNo single angle of the Quattroporte looks good, but for some reason, when the whole design comes together, it looks right.
Except for the Buick RoadMaster holes in the fender sides....that goes back to the early 50's!
You've got an S550?  My dad's thinking of getting one, but I want him...not to.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

!?!?!?!??!?!?!?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

!?!?!?!??!?!?!?
Yeah.  I hate the new S550.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

!?!?!?!??!?!?!?
Raza also hates baby Jesus  :(  :lol:  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

jadewolf123

Hey I support Raza in this one. S550 is not nearly as stately as the others in the segment, namely XJ, A8, and Quattroporte.  
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

Raza

!?!?!?!??!?!?!?
Yeah, so?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

RJM

!?!?!?!??!?!?!?
Yeah, so?
Let's leave the baby out of it, he's not the one who designed that interior....

JYODER240

!?!?!?!??!?!?!?
Yeah, so?
'twas just a joke ;)  

Not many people have a hatred for the s-class or small children.

nevadajack

When you mature you will realize how brilliant your Father is and understand why he wants a S550...

:lol:  

Raza

When you mature you will realize how brilliant your Father is and understand why he wants a S550...

We're a Mercedes family.  M dad bought his first Mercedes, and S class, in 1982.  We've had at least two in the family ever since, and up until 2004, we had four (that's when I got the Volkswagen).  We're right now looking to pick up a fourth (my father will jump through hoops to help my brother get a car, but when I want $9,500 to get a Viggen, he's all of a sudden stingy (but that's a totally different issue, one you'd mostly likely have to be Carl Jung to figure out).  My dad has been looking for a car to replace his S320 for several years but nothing has been able to catch his fancy.  But now that the lease on two of our cars will be up in the next year, including our S500, we're looking at two new cars, and my dad still wants a big one.  

The new S class looks too fat, is too fat, has too many stupid electronics, and has an interior that makes me want to cry whenever I look at it (and not in a good way).  I can barely look at the outside of the car, I could never sit on the inside.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

!?!?!?!??!?!?!?
Yeah, so?
'twas just a joke ;)  

Not many people have a hatred for the s-class or small children.
I know it's a joke, that's why the flippant response.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Car Zeus

I totally agree Raza with you about the new S-class interior.

I would rather have a Maserati Quattroporte over the S-Class, Lexus LS, BMW 7, and Audi 8: (even if it is more money)

nevadajack

QuoteI totally agree Raza with you about the new S-class interior.

I would rather have a Maserati Quattroporte over the S-Class, Lexus LS, BMW 7, and Audi 8: (even if it is more money)

It has a nice interior but the center console is dated and looks like the W220.  The interior is also cramped.

If you sit in the S550 and drive it, you will see how fantastic the ergonomics are and how you seem to be enveloped by the seats and surrounding luxury.     :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  

nevadajack

We're a Mercedes family.  M dad bought his first Mercedes, and S class, in 1982.  We've had at least two in the family ever since, and up until 2004, we had four (that's when I got the Volkswagen).  We're right now looking to pick up a fourth (my father will jump through hoops to help my brother get a car, but when I want $9,500 to get a Viggen, he's all of a sudden stingy (but that's a totally different issue, one you'd mostly likely have to be Carl Jung to figure out).  My dad has been looking for a car to replace his S320 for several years but nothing has been able to catch his fancy.  But now that the lease on two of our cars will be up in the next year, including our S500, we're looking at two new cars, and my dad still wants a big one.  

The new S class looks too fat, is too fat, has too many stupid electronics, and has an interior that makes me want to cry whenever I look at it (and not in a good way).  I can barely look at the outside of the car, I could never sit on the inside.
I also come from a MB background...my first being a 1976 280E sedan.

From all the MB I have owned, the S550 is the most complete package offered by them.  Your assessment isn't based on the looks or driving pleasure of the S550 but on a dislike related to your Father wanting an S550.  I think you are right about Carl Jung being needed... :D  

Raza

From all the MB I have owned, the S550 is the most complete package offered by them.  Your assessment isn't based on the looks or driving pleasure of the S550 but on a dislike related to your Father wanting an S550.  I think you are right about Carl Jung being needed... :D
Hehe.  Our guy wants me to drive the car, because I gave him the okay on the E class and the CLS, but this S550 has me incredibly skeptical.  

I've driven the A8, and I mean driven it--and you can't feel the weight as much as you'd think.  It feels a lot like the W140 in ride, but is plenty agile.  My dad's somewhat anti-British (which is the opposite of me), so the Jaguar's a tough sell.  He's leaning towards the 750i and Flying Spur, but I'm trying to push him to the DB9, since we don't really need another big car.  Even the new XK I think would be a better choice than the S550.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Hehe.  Our guy wants me to drive the car, because I gave him the okay on the E class and the CLS, but this S550 has me incredibly skeptical.  

I've driven the A8, and I mean driven it--and you can't feel the weight as much as you'd think.  It feels a lot like the W140 in ride, but is plenty agile.  My dad's somewhat anti-British (which is the opposite of me), so the Jaguar's a tough sell.  He's leaning towards the 750i and Flying Spur, but I'm trying to push him to the DB9, since we don't really need another big car.  Even the new XK I think would be a better choice than the S550.
What about a 997?

Raza

What about a 997?
He's was not really impressed with the C4 we drove.  And I'm not too sure he wants a manual, and I won't have an automatic Porsche in my family.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT_Power

How about a SL? I think it won the recent C&D comparo?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna