Hyundai eyes hot car and pickup

Started by SVT_Power, August 12, 2006, 07:55:40 PM

SVT_Power

Hyundai eyes hot car and pickup
Aug. 12, 2006. 01:00 AM

DETROIT?South Korea's Hyundai wants to build a performance car in the United States to attract buyers to its showrooms and would also like to enter the pickup market, an insider says.

"The idea is a (performance) car that speaks more directly to the enthusiast buyer," said John Krafcik, Hyundai Motor America vice-president for product and strategic planning. The firm hopes to reveal styling for such a "halo car" next year.

"The aim will be to build the brand, to make this an aspirational purchase," Krafcik said. "You'd get more car for about the same price as competitors."

Auto makers often design a special vehicle, called a halo car, to lure customers to their showrooms, where they see the full range of vehicles being offered.

Hyundai has been looking into the lucrative pickup segment, dominated by U.S. auto makers.

"We need to be a full-line manufacturer and for that we have to have a pickup," Krafcik said.

"But there are all kinds of warning signs that say you have to be extremely careful."

A hyundai that speaks to enthusiasts?! :blink:  :blink:  :wtf:  
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

ifcar

You should have seen Raza's temporary love affair with the Tiburon.

Catman

I think Hyundai should look to the Ridgeline for inspiration (read: less ugly).  The full-size maket is quite full and would not be friendly to the Korean company.

ifcar

They'd be smarter building something closer to a Tacoma or Frontier. Hyundai can't afford to have any of their products known as a joke the way the Ridgeline seems to be commonly regarded.

Catman

QuoteThey'd be smarter building something closer to a Tacoma or Frontier. Hyundai can't afford to have any of their products known as a joke the way the Ridgeline seems to be commonly regarded.
I'd say it needs to stand out in some way.  If it's the same as a Toyota, they'll buy a Toyota.  Though price might be a plus.

ifcar

The Tacoma has some areas that could be improved on. But price would be the big thing, putting it more against the Colorado/Canyon or Ranger. And it should be able to obliterate those vehicles (not so much in the marketplace as in merit, but it probably would have noticeable success there as well) unless Hyundai drops the ball on pricing.

Catman

QuoteThe Tacoma has some areas that could be improved on. But price would be the big thing, putting it more against the Colorado/Canyon or Ranger. And it should be able to obliterate those vehicles (not so much in the marketplace as in merit, but it probably would have noticeable success there as well) unless Hyundai drops the ball on pricing.
Good point.  If they focused those for competition I think they could own that segment with the right truck.

SVT_Power

QuoteYou should have seen Raza's temporary love affair with the Tiburon.
imo, that's probably the only decent looking car from kia/hyundai
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

MX793

imo, that's probably the only decent looking car from kia/hyundai
The Sonata isn't bad, nor is the new Optima.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

Few of Hyundai/Kia cars are objectionable to look at, but that's simply because most are rather bland. I think what he was saying is that the Tiburon is not only attractive, but it's more than just inoffensively pleasant.

Atomic

QuoteThey'd be smarter building something closer to a Tacoma or Frontier. Hyundai can't afford to have any of their products known as a joke the way the Ridgeline seems to be commonly regarded.
I'd say it needs to stand out in some way.  If it's the same as a Toyota, they'll buy a Toyota.  Though price might be a plus.
i agree.

i still like the honda ridgeline, mainly because of it's ride, brutish looks, and many other emotions that were brought out during my recent test drive. no. it's not pretty. that adds to it's appeal to me.

iffy is right about hyundai's need to prevent such a truck from looking like the honda. not many automakers can market such a vehicle and succeed. however, you are so right about differentiating it from the more mainstream nissan and toyotas trucks, catman.

Raza

It's more like an adoration from afar.

It is a good car though.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

i agree.

i still like the honda ridgeline, mainly because of it's ride, brutish looks, and many other emotions that were brought out during my recent test drive. no. it's not pretty. that adds to it's appeal to me.

iffy is right about hyundai's need to prevent such a truck from looking like the honda. not many automakers can market such a vehicle and succeed. however, you are so right about differentiating it from the more mainstream nissan and toyotas trucks, catman.
A Honda pickup minivan that evokes emotions!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Atomic

i agree.

A Honda pickup minivan that evokes emotions!

good one, raz! i'll give you that  :thumbsup: ! however, their minivan is the odyssey.

Atomic

p.s.

hey! wasn't it raza that was advocating for aveo squad cars  :hammerhead: ?!

sorry buddy! that's all i can think to dish out w/out my morning coffee  :P !

cawimmer430

I don't think Hyundai's current image allows them to produce a pickup. A sports car? As long as its affordable, they can do that. But a pickup?

Americans want big powerful V8's in their pickups, does Hyundai even have a V8? I believe they have some premium limousine (Equus?) in South Korea but that's 3.5-l V6 powered (I think).
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SVT_Power

QuoteI don't think Hyundai's current image allows them to produce a pickup. A sports car? As long as its affordable, they can do that. But a pickup?

Americans want big powerful V8's in their pickups, does Hyundai even have a V8? I believe they have some premium limousine (Equus?) in South Korea but that's 3.5-l V6 powered (I think).
Korean car companies seem to make a bit stretched versions of their top cars and call them limousines. And as far as I know, none of the korean manufacturers have anything bigger than a V6. Well an hyundai-level affordable sports car isn't gonna do any good as their 'halo' car imo.  

cawimmer430

QuoteWell an hyundai-level affordable sports car isn't gonna do any good as their 'halo' car imo.
Why not?

The Tiburon was pretty successful. It was affordable and suited their image well. A new sports car within those guidelines of the Tiburon with more power and more options for an affordable price would be what they need. I can see it already: smash seller.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT_Power

QuoteWell an hyundai-level affordable sports car isn't gonna do any good as their 'halo' car imo.
Why not?

The Tiburon was pretty successful. It was affordable and suited their image well. A new sports car within those guidelines of the Tiburon with more power and more options for an affordable price would be what they need. I can see it already: smash seller.
Of course manufacturers like to refer to their cars as sporty, etc etc when they are not, but the Tiburon is not a serious competitor in sports car world. I know Hyundai isn't gonna make a car as good as a S2000 for a while but it would make sense to make a halo car that can at least give a S2000 a run for its money considering just how old the S2000 is

TBR

Evidently Hyundai is working on a RWD 3.8l V6 powered sports for 2008. Or at least that is what I have heard.

But, it seems like a foolish time to try to create an image in the truck market, especially the fullsize one. If they do decide to go into the pickup truck market they should build a truck about the same size as the Colorado but with better engines (no chore since they have some superb V6s these days), higher quality, and lower sticker prices.

SVT_Power

QuoteEvidently Hyundai is working on a RWD 3.8l V6 powered sports for 2008. Or at least that is what I have heard.

But, it seems like a foolish time to try to create an image in the truck market, especially the fullsize one. If they do decide to go into the pickup truck market they should build a truck about the same size as the Colorado but with better engines (no chore since they have some superb V6s these days), higher quality, and lower sticker prices.
Aren't they working on a RWD sedan?

cawimmer430

Why not?

Of course manufacturers like to refer to their cars as sporty, etc etc when they are not, but the Tiburon is not a serious competitor in sports car world. I know Hyundai isn't gonna make a car as good as a S2000 for a while but it would make sense to make a halo car that can at least give a S2000 a run for its money considering just how old the S2000 is
Yes, that's true, the Tiburon wasn't an extreme sports car in the sense of a Honda S2000, but it was still a "sports car" (or at least a "fun-car") in the sense that it was reasonably sporty for most people. I suppose that the target market of the Tiburon were the kind of people who wanted something cheap and fun - which the Tiburon delivered on.

A purist driver on the other hand possibly wouldn't be delighted in driving the Tiburon.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT_Power

Why not?

Yes, that's true, the Tiburon wasn't an extreme sports car in the sense of a Honda S2000, but it was still a "sports car" (or at least a "fun-car") in the sense that it was reasonably sporty for most people. I suppose that the target market of the Tiburon were the kind of people who wanted something cheap and fun - which the Tiburon delivered on.

A purist driver on the other hand possibly wouldn't be delighted in driving the Tiburon.
I would think it was sort of a economical coupe (like a celica) which wasn't really designed to be a sports car but just to resemble one

TBR

QuoteEvidently Hyundai is working on a RWD 3.8l V6 powered sports for 2008. Or at least that is what I have heard.

Aren't they working on a RWD sedan?
I am thinking that was going to be a Korea only car. Frankly, unless it is a real sports sedan (and I don't think it will be, especially if it is engineered with the Korean market in mind), it just doesn't matter.

TBR

Why not?

I would think it was sort of a economical coupe (like a celica) which wasn't really designed to be a sports car but just to resemble one
I would hesitate to call any FWD I4 hatchback a sports car, but the Celica was a very good handling car, better than the RSX-S according to C/D. At least in GT-S trim it wasn't an econo-coupe.

ifcar

QuoteI don't think Hyundai's current image allows them to produce a pickup. A sports car? As long as its affordable, they can do that. But a pickup?

Korean car companies seem to make a bit stretched versions of their top cars and call them limousines. And as far as I know, none of the korean manufacturers have anything bigger than a V6. Well an hyundai-level affordable sports car isn't gonna do any good as their 'halo' car imo.
I'm almost positive that Hyundai either has or is developing a V8 for its upcoming flagship sedan.

cawimmer430

QuoteI would think it was sort of a economical coupe (like a celica) which wasn't really designed to be a sports car but just to resemble one
Yes, I agree with you on that.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT_Power

I'm almost positive that Hyundai either has or is developing a V8 for its upcoming flagship sedan.
Well I meant on the market at the moment