Provisional Licenses Difficult to Enforce

Started by TurboDan, August 14, 2006, 10:51:20 PM

GoCougs

Quote from: 850CSi on September 12, 2006, 11:46:29 AM
What I've noticed though is that most accidents that happen to the 16-18 group have more to do with driving like jackasses as opposed to a lack of skill in general. I don't know the statistics, but that's what I've seen.

I live in a college town now, and college students drive a lot more like human beings than high-schoolers do.

This was my experience, too. Sure, plenty of screwing around in small college town, but there is that jump IMO.

As I drive by my old highschool, it's interesting to note that while the school has 50% or so more students than when I graduated, the parking lot has grown by at least 300%. And there are a lot of new and/or customized vehicles, too. Some of it is due to a slight demographic change, but I think we'd all agree that the natural progression of society is that kids are given more and more at an earlier age. I believe this also adds to the issue of poor teenage driving: the more that is given, the less that is earned, and ultimately respected IMO.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on September 12, 2006, 02:03:04 PM
I believe this also adds to the issue of poor teenage driving: the more that is given, the less that is earned, and ultimately respected IMO.

That's a strong generalization to make.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Perhaps a better way to say it is, "spoiled." It's imutable and inevitable.

TBR

Raza is just being defensive because he is spoiled. I think you are probably right in 95% of cases, including Raza's (get ready!).

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on September 12, 2006, 02:03:04 PM
This was my experience, too. Sure, plenty of screwing around in small college town, but there is that jump IMO.

As I drive by my old highschool, it's interesting to note that while the school has 50% or so more students than when I graduated, the parking lot has grown by at least 300%. And there are a lot of new and/or customized vehicles, too. Some of it is due to a slight demographic change, but I think we'd all agree that the natural progression of society is that kids are given more and more at an earlier age. I believe this also adds to the issue of poor teenage driving: the more that is given, the less that is earned, and ultimately respected IMO.

I think you're mostly right.  A lot of parents buy their kids expensive cars in order to satisfy their own egos.  And people are less likely to respect things that are given to them than things they have to earn.

What I don't understand is parents buying teenagers high performance cars, and then replacing them when the kids wrecks the car.   I can't understand why they're not more concerned for their kids' safety.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

saxonyron

GoCougs:

"the more that is given, the less that is earned, and ultimately respected IMO."

Quote from: Raza on September 12, 2006, 10:43:15 PM
That's a strong generalization to make.

It is a strong yet accurate generalization. :lol:? As with all generalizations, there are exceptions, but for the vast majority of people, kids and adults, it's true.? It's human nature - you appreciate and value more what you earn.? I could give countless examples from my own life growing up, to my kids, to my employees, to my beloved wife.?

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

Quote from: TBR on September 12, 2006, 11:18:14 PM
Raza is just being defensive because he is spoiled. I think you are probably right in 95% of cases, including Raza's (get ready!).

I respect everything I have. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TurboDan

I'd tend to agree with Raza.  When I was young, my parents paid for my car/insurance/etc., and at the same time I bought my first boat with my own money that I made myself.  I didn't value or respect the car any less than the boat. 

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on September 16, 2006, 12:13:16 AM
I'd tend to agree with Raza.? When I was young, my parents paid for my car/insurance/etc., and at the same time I bought my first boat with my own money that I made myself.? I didn't value or respect the car any less than the boat.?

I think that you and Raza are right in the minority of cases.  It depends on personality and other factors.  The fact that you were able to buy a boat with your own money also says something.  Had your parents bought you the car and the boat, and paid for all the expenses associated with them, you might have had less respect for both.

We all have had things bought for us.  Nobody is fully self-made; it's a matter of degree.  But as a general rule, those who say that we have more respect for what we've earned ourselves are correct, IMO.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TBR

Quote from: Raza on September 14, 2006, 06:21:24 PM

That's real easy to say, but it doesn't make it true. I have a very hard time believing that you would drive your Passat as hard as you do if you had to earn the $20k something it cost $5 at a time.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on September 17, 2006, 07:29:29 PM
That's real easy to say, but it doesn't make it true. I have a very hard time believing that you would drive your Passat as hard as you do if you had to earn the $20k something it cost $5 at a time.

But you believe an imaginary bearded man runs everything from the clouds? 

Think what you will. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

I have faith in God, I don't have faith in you.

850CSi

Quote from: Raza on September 14, 2006, 06:21:24 PM

Quite honestly, I'm the same way. I have a lot of shit, most of which I didn't pay for, and I appreciate every single thing I have.

I could have worked my ass off this year to pay for my expenses, but my parents wouldn't let me even if I wanted to. They want me to concentrate on school for once, and so I got a job that doesn't involve too much work and can help me a lot in the long run that I actually like. I don't make much, but I didn't even know I was going to get paid.

850CSi

Quote from: Raza on September 17, 2006, 08:18:55 PM
But you believe an imaginary bearded man runs everything from the clouds? 

He has a beard?

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: TBR on September 17, 2006, 08:30:49 PM
I have faith in God, I don't have faith in you.

Right, so enthusiastic driving is indicative of apathy towards my possessions.  Doesn't matter that I take care of the car perfectly, always let it warm up, always let it cool down, and have the oil changed ahead of schedule.  Because I drive an athletic car hard when the situations warrant, I don't appreciate it. 

Boy, have you got my number.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TurboDan

Actually, I'd drive a better, new car harder because it can handle it. 

Raza

Quote from: TurboDan on September 18, 2006, 07:28:32 AM
Actually, I'd drive a better, new car harder because it can handle it. 

Agreed.  You see all these kids driving Explorers and Expeditions like they were Corvettes and getting killed.  And then old cars without the responsiveness you get with new one with the same result.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i