2005 Volkswagen Passat TDI Wagon GLS Test Drive

Started by BMWDave, May 27, 2005, 05:31:20 AM

giant_mtb

QuoteI'm American too.  I didn't mean to imply every American has a fear of diesel.  But many have a preconcieved notion that diesel engines smell, are lound, and overall suck.  They may be a little smelly and a little louder than gas, but they sure don't suck.  More diesel cars and more diesel drivers in the US would be nice.
Yeah...I tried to tell my mom that a diesel car wouldn't be all that much different from a regular-gas car...but she still thinks that they're loud, smelly, and clattery.  But oh well...she's the one missing out on saved gas money!  :P  

And honestly, with higher (and rising) gas prices my parents are seriously considering a more fuel-efficient car...but I'm not sure what they can afford... <_<
Are they looking for something new or used? What's their price range? How big of a car would they want?
I honestly have no idea...they've only mentioned the idea.  I'm assuming they'd go used (yet a newer used car) for pretty cheap (probably 12K max) and they'd probably want a car...since they usually get the best mileage.  Then we'd have 2 cars and 2 SUV's...unless we sold the '98 Explorer to help pay for the new(er) car.  

But honestly I have no idea...
Make sure you put a thread up for suggestions before they do anything.  ;)
I deffinitely will.
Maybe they should get an Impreza. :D
There was one down the road for 14K...it was a 2002 Sedan...complete with a radar detector! woohoo!  :P   But that's a little steep for them...
how much are they willing to spend?
Probably not much more than 12 or 13K...but I have no idea because they've never talked about, much less mentioned it.  And I doubt it would be any time soon..

Raghavan

QuoteI'm American too.  I didn't mean to imply every American has a fear of diesel.  But many have a preconcieved notion that diesel engines smell, are lound, and overall suck.  They may be a little smelly and a little louder than gas, but they sure don't suck.  More diesel cars and more diesel drivers in the US would be nice.
Yeah...I tried to tell my mom that a diesel car wouldn't be all that much different from a regular-gas car...but she still thinks that they're loud, smelly, and clattery.  But oh well...she's the one missing out on saved gas money!  :P  

And honestly, with higher (and rising) gas prices my parents are seriously considering a more fuel-efficient car...but I'm not sure what they can afford... <_<
Are they looking for something new or used? What's their price range? How big of a car would they want?
I honestly have no idea...they've only mentioned the idea.  I'm assuming they'd go used (yet a newer used car) for pretty cheap (probably 12K max) and they'd probably want a car...since they usually get the best mileage.  Then we'd have 2 cars and 2 SUV's...unless we sold the '98 Explorer to help pay for the new(er) car.  

I deffinitely will.
There was one down the road for 14K...it was a 2002 Sedan...complete with a radar detector! woohoo!  :P   But that's a little steep for them...
Probably not much more than 12 or 13K...but I have no idea because they've never talked about, much less mentioned it.  And I doubt it would be any time soon..
i thought they were' seriously considering'?

giant_mtb

I deffinitely will.
Well yeah...but not for a while...lol  What I mean is they haven't really looked into it, but they're seriously thinking about it..

Raghavan

I deffinitely will.
Well yeah...but not for a while...lol  What I mean is they haven't really looked into it, but they're seriously thinking about it..
how do you know if they haven't talked about it?

giant_mtb

I deffinitely will.
Because they know that I know a lot more about cars than they do...so if they wanted to talk about it they'd probably ask me about it...

Raghavan

I deffinitely will.
Because they know that I know a lot more about cars than they do...so if they wanted to talk about it they'd probably ask me about it...
but if they haven't asked you about it, how do you know they want a car?

giant_mtb

I deffinitely will.
Because they mentioned it to me once...I don't know what me and my mom were talking about but she goes "you know, my father and I are seriously considering looking into a car with better gas mileage" or something along those lines...and I haven't heard since, so they prolly haven't talked about it much.

Raghavan

I deffinitely will.
Because they mentioned it to me once...I don't know what me and my mom were talking about but she goes "you know, my father and I are seriously considering looking into a car with better gas mileage" or something along those lines...and I haven't heard since, so they prolly haven't talked about it much.
i see.

TBR

QuoteTheir biggest mistake with this car is making it auto only. People looking to spend extra to get better gas mileage would appreciate an option that reduces the purchase prices and increases gas mileage...
...and speeds up its terribly slow acceleration times.
That is what I meant ;)  

Raghavan

QuoteTheir biggest mistake with this car is making it auto only. People looking to spend extra to get better gas mileage would appreciate an option that reduces the purchase prices and increases gas mileage...
That is what I meant ;)
11.5 seconds isn't that slow you know.

TBR

That is what I meant ;)
That is why I didn't actually say it ;)  

Raghavan

That is what I meant ;)
That is why I didn't actually say it ;)
but you meant it. ;)