Started by BMWDave, August 22, 2006, 08:31:00 AM

BMWDave

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan caught in the desert
By Ed Hellwig Email | Blog

Date posted: 08-21-2006

STORY TOOLS
PRINT THIS  SAVE THIS
EMAIL THIS  MOST POPULAR
Volkswagen announced the official name of its new compact SUV last month, and now we bring you the first unofficial video of the 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan. Caught during hot-weather testing in Death Valley, California, the Tiguan shares its platform with the Rabbit and GTI hatchbacks.

Power for base models will come from the same 200-horsepower 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder used in the GTI with an upgrade to VW's 3.6-liter V6 a possible option. The ForMotion all-wheel-drive system used in both the Passat and the upcoming R32 could be standard if Volkswagen wants to position the Tiguan further upscale than typical compacts like the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V, both of which offer lower-cost front-wheel-drive models. Although European versions will have a manual transmission as standard, U.S. versions will get a six-speed Direct Shift Gearbox as the sole option.

Although the Tiguan is based on the Concept A, what little of the cabin we could see showed a fairly typical dash layout. There may be a few upgrades added to give the Tiguan a unique look and feel compared to its Rabbit and GTI cousins, but other than a few minor trim changes it will be a standard-issue Volkswagen design. A third-row seat won't be available, but it looks as though second-row passenger room will be generous by compact-SUV standards.

And just in case you're wondering, the name "Tiguan" is a made-up combination of "tiger" and "iguana." Volkswagen decided on the name after polling readers of a European automotive publication. Dr. Wolfgang Bernhard, Volkswagen's chairman, called it a "unique event [that is] demonstrative of how Volkswagen is opening up." We call it a unique look at how clueless Volkswagen is when it comes to selling SUVs in the U.S.

We won't see how the Tiguan name goes over here in the States for another two years as production doesn't begin until 2008.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

I think this is a unique automobile that has the unique ability to be sold uniquely in the unique United States, with its unique name uniquely placed to sell to a unique customer base whose unique needs can only be satisfied by a unique automobile that can uniquely satisfy those unique needs.  Furthermore, the unique name will uniquely affect the unique automotive market and uniquely change the way unique cars are sold in the future, uniquely.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

I am not a huge fan of automatics (the toughest thing about getting my car was finding one with the options I wanted and a stickshift), but I love that VW is sytematically replacing their traditional automatics with DSG. If I had to have an automatic, DSG would be my choice.

Tom

QuoteI think this is a unique automobile that has the unique ability to be sold uniquely in the unique United States, with its unique name uniquely placed to sell to a unique customer base whose unique needs can only be satisfied by a unique automobile that can uniquely satisfy those unique needs.  Furthermore, the unique name will uniquely affect the unique automotive market and uniquely change the way unique cars are sold in the future, uniquely.
:lol:

I didn't notice the unique thing.  The first line I happened to read was  "Tiguan" is a made-up combination of "tiger" and "iguana.", and that's were I stopped reading.

pommes-t

Time to make some money!!!! V DUB IS IN ZHE SMALL SUV HOUSE!!!

nickdrinkwater

QuoteTime to make some money!!!! V DUB IS IN ZHE SMALL SUV HOUSE!!!
:rockon:   :lol: