Coladin's Mustang

Started by Catman, May 06, 2005, 06:43:38 PM

coladin

QuoteIf the rims were bent than I don't think they would vary alot after balancing.  It would be kind of hard to balance out a bent rim with wheel weights I would imagine.  It could be the tires wearing funny, belts shifting, etc.    

Before I would blame the tires try a "road force balance" if you haven't already.  That machine balances the tire with a load on it and does a much better job than does traditional balancing.  My 2001 Pathfinder always shimmied until I started using the road force balance.  If you can't find a shop that has the machine than go to a Nissan dealer, they all have them.
We did a road force balance and what happens is the car feels cured for a day or two, then the vibration returns.  Personally, i think it is a bad batch of tires because there is a window where the tires stay balanced...then it goes away!

One mechanic who lowered the car feels because there is a slight camber in the suspension, this may be causing the vibration and recommends "concentrics" to make the cars stay spec as per a standard Mustang.  Naturally, with a slight camber, this not only will wear the tires a little earlier, it also provides better handling.  By realigining the car to make the wheels straight, I will lose a little performance but it may cure the vibration issues.

Personally, I don't buy it, I think it is the tires.
2011 C63...2009 R320 BlueTec...GO SCHUMI!

Car Zeus

Nice ride.

The Mustang is growing on me.

Catman

I would try matching the camber to stock but I'm not sure thats it.  Are the weights falling off?  When they rebalance, how off are they?

PS, I'll see if I can reach DJ on tundrasolutions.com he works for Hunter.  Stand by!

Catman

Got some good advice from DJ:

QuoteDJ Writes: I read that thread and looked at the pictures of his wheels. He said that road force balance was done and the results were good, but the results didn't last, and that this process has been repeated numerous times. That means, quite clearly, that something is changing after the balance job is performed, right?

The key consideration is that a re-balance produces good results. That does not suggest a faulty tire or faulty alignment. It suggests that something is changing after the balancing job that throws one or more tire/wheel assemblies out of balance.

My first suspicion is that the tires are slipping on the wheels. It happens. It's easy to check -- just put a chalk mark from the tire onto the wheel and verify over time that the chalk on the tire still matches the chalk on the wheel.

My second suspicion is that, if he is using tape-on weights, then they are not staying on. I don't see any weights on his wheels, which implies tape-on weights were used.

I would look for something that changes. Perhaps before-and-after photographs could help. Keep looking, and it'll turn up.

coladin

QuoteGot some good advice from DJ:

QuoteDJ Writes: I read that thread and looked at the pictures of his wheels. He said that road force balance was done and the results were good, but the results didn't last, and that this process has been repeated numerous times. That means, quite clearly, that something is changing after the balance job is performed, right?

The key consideration is that a re-balance produces good results. That does not suggest a faulty tire or faulty alignment. It suggests that something is changing after the balancing job that throws one or more tire/wheel assemblies out of balance.

My first suspicion is that the tires are slipping on the wheels. It happens. It's easy to check -- just put a chalk mark from the tire onto the wheel and verify over time that the chalk on the tire still matches the chalk on the wheel.

My second suspicion is that, if he is using tape-on weights, then they are not staying on. I don't see any weights on his wheels, which implies tape-on weights were used.

I would look for something that changes. Perhaps before-and-after photographs could help. Keep looking, and it'll turn up.
That is a great piece of Info! Thanks alot!

Yes, they are tape on weights, it is conceivable that they may be falling off.

Tore slipping from the rim? That sounds ineteresting...and scary! How does that get corrected?
2011 C63...2009 R320 BlueTec...GO SCHUMI!

Catman

QuoteGot some good advice from DJ:

That is a great piece of Info! Thanks alot!

Yes, they are tape on weights, it is conceivable that they may be falling off.

Tore slipping from the rim? That sounds ineteresting...and scary! How does that get corrected?
Not sure but I'm sure there's something available to correct that.  As far as the weights, you could use a grease pencil to outline them so you'll know if they fall off.