G35 Opinions

Started by TurboDan, September 10, 2006, 09:48:56 PM

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on September 11, 2006, 09:09:47 PM
I test drove the G35 and one of my friends has one and I like them alot.  If I'd gone with a 4-door sedan I would have got the G35, and now I like the '07 even better.

IMO it's the best all around car in its class for the money.  The interior isn't great but it's not bad either and is improved in the '07 (although I haven't seen it in person).  It looks good, it's quick, it's roomy, it should have pretty good reliability.

I test drove a G35 manual and a 330i auto (they didn't have a manual) back to back, and while I admit I'm only talking about 10-20 minute test drives on public roads (it's not like I got to beat the shit out of them on a track), I didn't notice the "superior driving dynamics" of the 330i that everyone raves about.  The G35 was just as much fun to drive and about $7-$8k less comparably equipped.

Most of the magazines agree that the 3 series only "shines" at the limit, and that many of the other cars in its class are just as entertaining and/or involving or more at less than the limit. 

The new Aero's V6t was named one of the world's ten best engines, as I recall.

The G35 is a fine car, and cleary the best value in class--I don't think anyone can credibly dispute that (unless you think that FWD makes a better midsize entry luxury car--in the entry luxury sedan class, I'd most likely get an A4 or 9-3 Aero, but before either of those cars I'd have to seriously consider the GLI, which is comparable in size, much cheaper, and I can't imagine it being any less entertaining, even if it's only 95% the GTI).  But make sure this is the class of car you want to be in.  For me, if it had to be an automatic, I'd definitely get something with a DSG.  Or a Magnum or Charger RT. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Ah, didn't realize you were looking at automatic transmission.

I'm with Raza...if you are going to get an automatic...get a DSG. Now I realize VW are not the most reliable cars, but they do come with a good warranty (4 years, 50k mile bumper to bumper) and most places will give you loaner if it has to be in the shop for more than a couple of hours (and, actually, if you got an Audi A3 most Audi dealerships will give you a loaner any time you ask. I would get a loaner when all I was doing was getting my oil changed in my A4).

I also think you should reconsider the G35. Its one of the worst cars in its class on fuel economy, and the automatic will just make it worse (especially in heavy city driving). Since you are getting an automatic, I do think you should consider the Lexus IS250. It gets good fuel economy and it is fun to drive. Its a beautiful car (IMHO). It won't be as fast as the G35 but since you are going to be driving in mostly heavy city traffic...I don't think you will miss it. At the very least, give it a try.

Here's the list of cars I would consider if I had to get an automatic.

GTI (DSG, most fun)
GLI (DSG, second most fun and its a sedan)
Passat 2.0T (DSG, fun, economical, smooth)
A3 (DSG, fun, smooth, features)
Saab 9-3 Aero (6-Speed Automatic, fantastic engine, handles well for a front-driver)
Lexus IS250 (6-Speed automatic, smoothest car in its class)

You will notice I have neglected both the A4 and 3er. Don't buy a BMW if its not a manual...just don't be one of those guys... :lol: Also, if you are getting an automatic the A3 is a better car than the A4. I suggest the 2.0T for its mix of economy and fun, but the 3.2 V6 + Quattro is probably a impressive car to drive. Its basically a luxurious R32.

Now, I think if reliability is a big concern, your best choice is probably the Lexus IS250. You can get RWD or AWD...it may be worth it to get the AWD for the added stability...but you do take a hit in gas mileage. Its not the car I would go with, but I was more concerned with fun than reliability. I also liked the fact that I ended up with a car that's a little less mature.  :P Your mileage may vary on that account though. If you take a lot of people out on business lunches/dinners your best bet may be the Lexus or Passat.

One dark horse that I know very little about...have you considered the new Saturn Aura XR? It seems like a fantastic car from an outsider's perspective. It reminds me of the Passat in a lot of ways. Very grown up/entry level luxury, but at a price that competes with mainstreamers. It is missing HID headlamps and Nav though, so if you want those items (which a lot of people looking at premium cars do) it would take it off your list.

Anyway, good luck. And as always...I suggest driving as many cars as humanly possible. You may end up surprising yourself by which car you like the best. I know I did.  :rockon:

gasoline

Quote from: M_power on September 11, 2006, 07:43:07 PM
In overall, it seems to be a hell of a car for the money, but quite frankly, I think the new one just got alot uglier. Not to say the first one looked good in sedan form anyway
Oh, the new one looks waaay better than the old.
-----------------------------------

cozmik

Quote from: TurboDan on September 11, 2006, 04:25:30 PM
How's the reliability of the newer Saabs?  Because, quite frankly, mine has always stunk in that department.  I've kept it because I love the ride and how it performs, but for the love of God, I've never had a car with more things go wrong in my life.

At least a new one would be under warranty, but that means giving up your car for days while it's in the shop.  I think I need some of that Japanese reliability.  Knowing me, though, I'll probably end up with an RX-8 or some other strangely-configured vehicle.  :lol:

My 2003 has been pretty solid. I've had a couple minor glitches (rattles, and the handbrake stuck once due to a flaw in the 2003 design) but that's pretty much it. I'm considering getting another one.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

cawimmer430

In 2010, everyone will be driving these, so don't worry about it, Dan.  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

mrecktid

Get an 05 or up, my 03.5 squeaks and rattles like a motherf*cker, still quick though  :lol: