IFCAR Comparo: Ultra-Luxury Sedans

Started by ifcar, May 29, 2005, 12:13:27 PM

Raza

QuoteDont turn this thread into smiley whoring...let get back on topic.
Sorry.  I thought it was going that way, and it's hard to fight--like the current in the ocean.

Anyway, the LS430 is outclassed in this class.  It belongs with the old Deville and Town Car.  It's the best of those, though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

Sorry.  I thought it was going that way, and it's hard to fight--like the current in the ocean.

Anyway, the LS430 is outclassed in this class.  It belongs with the old Deville and Town Car.  It's the best of those, though.
the LS is a great car. pretty ingenious features.

Raza

It's an old person mobile.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

it's still a nice ride, just not as cool as an XJR.

ifcar

Which age group did you think could afford to buy an $80,000 vehicle? MOST luxury sedans are bought mostly by the middle-aged and up.

BMWDave

Which age group did you think could afford to buy an $80,000 vehicle? MOST luxury sedans are bought mostly by the middle-aged and up.
He means the style of driving...and LS is very laid back.  Theres a saying, and old man will buy a young mans car, but a young man will never buy a old mans car.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

He means the style of driving...and LS is very laid back.  Theres a saying, and old man will buy a young mans car, but a young man will never buy a old mans car.
there is? never heard of that before.

BMWDave

there is? never heard of that before.
A 80 year old will buy a BMW 3 series, but a 20 year old will never buy a Buick Century.  Thats basically the logic of the saying.

2007 Honda S2000

R33 GT-R

How about don't shit where you eat.    :P  
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

BMWDave

QuoteHow about don't shit where you eat.    :P
huh?

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

While that may be the case, not all young people are going after sporty handling.  

Raza

QuoteHow about don't shit where you eat.    :P
That's also a good piece of advice.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

While that may be the case, not all young people are going after sporty handling.
Responsiveness...I'm not asking for all of them to be Caterhams, I just want some feeling and some confidence in its athleticism.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Responsiveness...I'm not asking for all of them to be Caterhams, I just want some feeling and some confidence in its athleticism.
But I would assume that you don't consider yourself to be the typical consumer.  ;)  

Raza

But I would assume that you don't consider yourself to be the typical consumer.  ;)
That's true.  But even my father hated the LS430's driving characteristics.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Cars can have smooth, quiet rides and still be fun to drive,and, from your review it sounds like the BMW came closest to doing that.  

ifcar

Cars can have smooth, quiet rides and still be fun to drive,and, from your review it sounds like the BMW came closest to doing that.
The BMW and Mercedes both came close, but for $20,000 more they aren't going to win.

BMWDave

Well that brings us to the price argument again.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

QuoteWell that brings us to the price argument again.
i wanted to add something interesting: MT did a comaparo between an Audi A8, a jag super v8, and a maserati quattroporte.

BMWDave

i wanted to add something interesting: MT did a comaparo between an Audi A8, a jag super v8, and a maserati quattroporte.
So?  I believe the A8 was a W12, although I'm not totally sure.  And even still, it just reinforces the notion that the Jag Super competes with cars like the Quattraporte.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

So?  I believe the A8 was a W12, although I'm not totally sure.  And even still, it just reinforces the notion that the Jag Super competes with cars like the Quattraporte.
as i said, so iffy could've compared teh XJR, but apparently, his opinion and my opinion on comfort vary, so whatever.
and the A8 was a V8. ;)  

BMWDave

as i said, so iffy could've compared teh XJR, but apparently, his opinion and my opinion on comfort vary, so whatever.
and the A8 was a V8. ;)
I see.  I dont know why MT would do that comparo, being that the Audi is cheaper than the others by a lot.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

and the A8 was a V8. ;)
I see.  I dont know why MT would do that comparo, being that the Audi is cheaper than the others by a lot.
$30k diff. and the wierd thing is that the audi won! :o  

BMWDave

and the A8 was a V8. ;)
Yup.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

and the A8 was a V8. ;)
Yup.
:rolleyes:  

TBR

and the A8 was a V8. ;)
Probably because those three are the large luxury cars that would most likely be purchased by high style people. So, I suspect that styling probably played a bigger role than anything else in determining the outcome.  

BMWDave

and the A8 was a V8. ;)
Probably because those three are the large luxury cars that would most likely be purchased by high style people. So, I suspect that styling probably played a bigger role than anything else in determining the outcome.
Do you think styling should play an outcome?  All the sedans undoubtedly have lots of road presence, so its just a question of which one you like more, which is totally subjective.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

and the A8 was a V8. ;)
Do you think styling should play an outcome?  All the sedans undoubtedly have lots of road presence, so its just a question of which one you like more, which is totally subjective.
I agree with that, but I think the point of the comparo was to compare the large luxury cars that the rich and famous would most likely buy.  

BMWDave

and the A8 was a V8. ;)
I agree with that, but I think the point of the comparo was to compare the large luxury cars that the rich and famous would most likely buy.
But who are they to say that an actor (just an example) would want an A8 over a Jaguar just because of they styling.  Styling is subjective, and should be left that way.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

and the A8 was a V8. ;)
But who are they to say that an actor (just an example) would want an A8 over a Jaguar just because of they styling.  Styling is subjective, and should be left that way.
I never said that was the only determining factor, just that more weight was probably put on it than normal. I was saying that the reason those particular cars were selected for the comparision was probably because of their styling.