Weird transmission problem

Started by SVT_Power, September 14, 2006, 08:37:29 PM

SVT_Power

Okay I've started to notice this not too long ago. When I try to put the car into P from D, it gets stuck between P and R. So I bring it back down slightly to R, then it works. If i just reverse and put it into P, it goes normally. It's not a huge issue but it hasn't done this before.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

93JC

Buggered up linkage, I would assume.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

93JC

Some time to crawl under the car and fix it?

FlatBlackCaddy

just go under the car and make sure the linkage is fine, look for loose bolts and other basic things.

SVT_Power

Is there a diagram or something that I can look at before I go under the car?

VTEC_Inside

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

SVT_Power

Better question would be how I get at the underneath of the car. Only way I can think of at the moment that i can get at it while at home is have one side of the car on the curb and one side on the road :confused:

SVT_Power

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: M_power on September 14, 2006, 09:08:20 PM
Better question would be how I get at the underneath of the car. Only way I can think of at the moment that i can get at it while at home is have one side of the car on the curb and one side on the road :confused:
Although that works, for about $10-15 (each) you can buy 3ton jackstands. You could also buy a floorjack ($20?) or just use the emergency jack to get the car up onto the jackstands.

NEVER crawl under a car that's just supported by a jack.
Will

SVT_Power

Okay I think i found the problem maybe. So i went under the car and a piece that connects the transmission itself and the thingy that gets moved by the gear selector seems to be loose. I took a few pictures but I can't find the cable thing so I can't upload them to my computer. Now anyone understand what i said?

ifcar

SVT_Power

Quote from: ifcar on September 15, 2006, 03:52:31 PM
Did you try reattaching it?

It's still attached but when i wiggle it, it comes aprt maybe 2-3mm.

TBR

I personally wouldn't worry about it. The linkage in the Durango is slightly screwed up, but as long as you're paying attention to what you are doing nothing bad will happen.

JWC

Quote from: M_power on September 14, 2006, 08:37:29 PM
Okay I've started to notice this not too long ago. When I try to put the car into P from D, it gets stuck between P and R. So I bring it back down slightly to R, then it works. If i just reverse and put it into P, it goes normally. It's not a huge issue but it hasn't done this before.

Actually, that is a problem in the steering column.  I've seen this many times.

JWC

FORD: 2002-2005 Explorer
MERCURY: 2002-2005 Mountaineer

ISSUE:
Some 2002-2005 Explorer 4dr/Mountaineer vehicles, may require a greater effort to move the gear selector lever (shift lever) from drive to park. This may be due to a time delay with the brake shift interlock (BSI) pin retraction.

ACTION:
To service, replace the BSI switch. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

1L2Z-3Z719-DA BSI Switch

BTW, OEM labor time to replace this switch is .5hrs.

.7hrs retail.

TBR

So probably under $100 including the part?

JWC

Quote from: TBR on September 16, 2006, 07:34:48 AM
So probably under $100 including the part?

As long as you go to a shop that knows you don't have to remove the whole steering column to replace the switch, it should remain under $100. 

SVT_Power

Quote from: JWC on September 16, 2006, 07:53:49 AM
As long as you go to a shop that knows you don't have to remove the whole steering column to replace the switch, it should remain under $100.?

How about a Ford dealership

AutobahnSHO

2003, is that still under warranty??
Even if the warranty ran out, bring it up with them- maybe they can still do it for you..
Will

SVT_Power

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 16, 2006, 07:36:53 PM
2003, is that still under warranty??
Even if the warranty ran out, bring it up with them- maybe they can still do it for you..

In terms of years, it is. But it's like a 3yr/60,000 km warranty and we've done almost 110,000 km  :banghead:

The Bartender

Sounds like the bulletin describes the problem pretty well.  Keep im mind that most shifter cables have a little play, to account for the rocking of the transmission while driving and shifting.  Bulletins are great help, but people sometimes think if there is a bulletin issued, that the correction is paid for by the manufacturer.  Nope, those are called "recalls".  Bulletins are just the manufacturers way of saying "Hey, we found a better/simpler/easier/less intrusive way of fixing this problem"  or "Hey, we fixed a problem that people have been reporting to us."  Recalls normally have to involve safty issues, things that could cause the vehicle to crash, like faulty brake or suspension parts, or else things that could cause injury, like a seatbelt bracket problem.

If that's not it, is is still possible that there's too much play in the shifter cable.  It would make some sense, as the highest level of strain on the shifter mechanism is shifting into Park, because your are forcing the parking pawl to engage.  Odds are the only fix for that is replacing the cable.  At 110,000 KM (about 68,000 miles, if I did the mental math correctly) that's a little early for that kind of wear, but not EXXCESSIVELY early.
Wastin' Away Again in Margaritaville!
#3 #8 #15 #29

S204STi

Another problem with bulletins is that they may not necessarily fix the problem or apply to your vehicle.   There are sometimes VIN ranges, and the wording of the bulletin if vague can leave a technician thinking the bulletin could apply to your vehicle when it doesn't. I ran into this with a 99maxima in which a put a new PCM as directed by a service bulletin only to find that it did not solve the problem. A reman PCM is about 800 crackers and change, so the customer wasn't happy, lol.

JWC

The real problems with TSB's are that many techs skip the "confirm diagnosis" flow chart and just stick the part on because "what else could it be". We just let a tech go this past spring because he couldn't diagnose anything.   He had all the right certifications, but was your basic parts replacer. 

As for this TSB, I'd be pretty confident with it. This problem used to require the replacement of the whole steering column until Ford release the BSI switch as a separate component.   We replaced about three steering columns and six BSI switches in the past year.  I haven't replaced any shift cables.

I'd ride by a Ford dealer and get a service advisor to walk out and check it.  I've done this several times for people.  All you have to do is crank it up, put it in drive, move it forward about a foot and the try to put it back in park. If the BSI is faulty, it will stop at the reverse position.  Then, put it back in drive, shift to neutral, wait about twenty seconds, then try it again. This time is should go into park.

SVT_Power

Quote from: JWC on September 17, 2006, 03:19:00 PM
The real problems with TSB's are that many techs skip the "confirm diagnosis" flow chart and just stick the part on because "what else could it be". We just let a tech go this past spring because he couldn't diagnose anything.? ?He had all the right certifications, but was your basic parts replacer.?

As for this TSB, I'd be pretty confident with it. This problem used to require the replacement of the whole steering column until Ford release the BSI switch as a separate component.? ?We replaced about three steering columns and six BSI switches in the past year.? I haven't replaced any shift cables.

I'd ride by a Ford dealer and get a service advisor to walk out and check it.? I've done this several times for people.? All you have to do is crank it up, put it in drive, move it forward about a foot and the try to put it back in park. If the BSI is faulty, it will stop at the reverse position.? Then, put it back in drive, shift to neutral, wait about twenty seconds, then try it again. This time is should go into park.

It's not like that though. Okay you put it in drive, move a bit, try to shift to P, then it hits something between P and R. When I go back down to R and up to P, it goes to P. No time needed to wait. Or I found this way works too. From D, I take up just past R (without hitting the problem), go down to R for a split second and fully up to P and no problems there.

JWC

Quote from: M_power on September 17, 2006, 04:12:00 PM
It's not like that though. Okay you put it in drive, move a bit, try to shift to P, then it hits something between P and R. When I go back down to R and up to P, it goes to P. No time needed to wait. Or I found this way works too. From D, I take up just past R (without hitting the problem), go down to R for a split second and fully up to P and no problems there.

That's it. What you are hitting is the pin for the switch. 

The TSB is 04-22-12

JWC

If you want a pdf of the TSB, PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

It is pretty much a DYI project.

SVT_Power

I sent a PM.

BTW it would be a wise idea to get a jack and stands right about now right?

SVT_Power

BTW how much would a BSI switch cost?

JWC

I can't remember how much the switch is, but I'll check when I get to work today.