Weird transmission problem

Started by SVT_Power, September 14, 2006, 08:37:29 PM

JWC

SVT_Power

I called up two dealerships but one said $63.24 + tax and the other one said $69.39 + tax. The one that was closer to us said the higher price so I asked them why it's higher and they said they run their inventory on a different system. So I got them to match the price of $63.24  :lol: I guess I'll go buy one sometime soon
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

TBR

JWC

Yep, it was US.

I hadn't considered the owner was Canadian. 

What I was thinking was the dealership used "matrix" pricing.  Matrix ignores the recommended markup set by the manufacturer and artifically inflates the price for retail customers.  Some dealerships use matrix on over-the-counter purchases only, except for other garages and their own service department. Others will matrix price parts over-the-counter and for their own service department.

Some dealers also use matrix pricing for the service labor rate.  As the number of hours for a repair increases, the labor rate per hour increases.  Say you're at 70.00/hr. If a job pays .2hrs this would come out to 14.00.  On matrix, it may be only 10.00. But, if the job pays 10 hrs, matrix will move the labor up to 840.00 or 84.00/hr. 

S204STi

God, heads would roll in my dealership if the parts dept tried marking up parts for the service dept, lol.

JWC

Quote from: R-inge on September 18, 2006, 08:24:20 PM
God, heads would roll in my dealership if the parts dept tried marking up parts for the service dept, lol.

Evidently, your dealer principle hasn't had consultants come in and tell him how much money is made from such a program.  The service department is a "captured" customer. They are not shopping anywhere else.  Even a small increase in parts prices is a considerable amount of profit. The reality is that anyone that has their vehicle in for service isn't pulling it out of the shop to dispute ten or fifteen dollars for a part.   And, if they trust their service advisor or tech, they don't really care.

This has been proven to me time and time again.

TBR

Adjusting the labor rate up as the length of the job increases doesn't make much sense to me, I would think it would work the other way.

SVT_Power

Well I didn't get the part yet but earlier today I printed out the pdf file and took the cover off and found some interesting things. Apparently there's supposed to be a steering column lower shroud metal cover thing but it's not there. And I can't find anything shown in the diagrams :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

JWC

Quote from: TBR on September 18, 2006, 09:42:53 PM
Adjusting the labor rate up as the length of the job increases doesn't make much sense to me, I would think it would work the other way.

Things that take .2 (usually the shop minimum) would be things like fuses and light bulbs.  It doesn't make sense to charge more for the lower time rates because replacing a light bulb would be like 20.00 labor.  The theory is that charging a lower dollar amount for the small items balances out by the "over charging" for the larger items.

JWC

Quote from: M_power on September 18, 2006, 09:46:25 PM
Well I didn't get the part yet but earlier today I printed out the pdf file and took the cover off and found some interesting things. Apparently there's supposed to be a steering column lower shroud metal cover thing but it's not there. And I can't find anything shown in the diagrams :lol:

I hate to say it, but those diagrams aren't the best in the world. Just a general representation of all year models, some years may be different, yet items like multifunction switches and such will cross over from year to year.

SVT_Power

Okay 2 days ago I experienced something else with the transmission. I put it in reverse and it wouldn't move. So i pressed the gas abit and then I felt the driveshaft engage and move back suddenly. Scared me for a second but hasn't done it again since

JWC

Quote from: M_power on September 21, 2006, 08:35:36 PM
Okay 2 days ago I experienced something else with the transmission. I put it in reverse and it wouldn't move. So i pressed the gas abit and then I felt the driveshaft engage and move back suddenly. Scared me for a second but hasn't done it again since

Wow, another TSB.

I'll find it today and post it.

SVT_Power

JWC

The TSB I remembered really doesn't apply, but I've seen TSB's for one model fix the previous MY if it was a late build.  It says to use a Ford released additive if the problem has not yet occured. Ironic, since a customer wouldn't complain until they experienced the problem. Since your Explorer has only done it once, using the additive may be the first thing to try. The problem is Explorer trans have to be refilled through the pan with an adapter.

FORD: 2004-2005 Thunderbird, Explorer
LINCOLN: 2004-2005 LS, Aviator
MERCURY: 2004-2005 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 05-15-4 to correct the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2004-2005 vehicles built prior to 09/23/2004 and equipped with the 5R55S transmission, may exhibit a delayed or harsh reverse engagement. This condition may be due to improper pressure control.

ACTION:
It may be necessary to replace the solenoid body assembly. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: INSTALLING TRANSMISSION ADDITIVE WILL PREVENT THE SYMPTOM ON SOLENOIDS THAT DO NOT YET EXHIBIT THE CONDITION BUT WILL NOT RESOLVE THE CONDITION IF IT ALREADY EXISTS.

NOTE: CONTAMINATION IS NOT THE CAUSE OF THE CONDITION ADDRESSED BY THIS TSB. IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO FLUSH THE TRANSMISSION COOLER/COOLER LINES OR REPLACE THE FLUID PAN FILTER (7A098). ALSO, DO NOT REPROGRAM THE PCM, REPLACE THE MAIN CONTROL ASSEMBLY (7A100) OR INSTALL AN INLINE SERVICE FILTER (7B155).

NOTE: DURING SOLENOID BODY REPLACEMENT THE VEHICLE'S BATTERY MUST BE DISCONNECTED TO PROPERLY CLEAR THE PRESSURE ADAPTIVE TABLES.

The additive is part #4L2Z-19B546-AB

SVT_Power

It just did it again today. But this time my mom was in the driver's seat and she started freaking out and restarted the car like 3 times and tried reverse but still wouldn't engage. I think the 4th time she turned the car on and off and engaged R, it caught rather violented and started going in reverse.

The Pirate

I like Ford products a lot, but I've never been impressed with their auto trannies.  Ford should just suck it up, and start secretly buying GM trannies for their cars.

I had a 1989 Pontiac Bonneville that had over 200K miles, and the tranny was still buttery smooth and always shifted at the right time.  Even with all those miles, it was still smoother than many newer Ford and Honda autos that I've driven.

When I bought my car, I drove an automatic Civic as well, and it was a particularly craptastic transaxle, very jerky and abrupt.  Honda should buy their trannies from GM too.     :lol:

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT_Power

Well I just checked a Ford forum and looked up threads related to 03 explorers. I found a couple of things related to the tranny that I've felt before and the problems got solved when the dealership re-flashed the transfer case ECU. Perhaps time for that as well

TBR

Quote from: The Pirate on September 23, 2006, 10:13:18 AM
I like Ford products a lot, but I've never been impressed with their auto trannies. Ford should just suck it up, and start secretly buying GM trannies for their cars.

I had a 1989 Pontiac Bonneville that had over 200K miles, and the tranny was still buttery smooth and always shifted at the right time. Even with all those miles, it was still smoother than many newer Ford and Honda autos that I've driven.

When I bought my car, I drove an automatic Civic as well, and it was a particularly craptastic transaxle, very jerky and abrupt. Honda should buy their trannies from GM too. :lol:

It wouldn't be a bad idea, Honda has never been too good at ATs. Up until the late '90s their 4-spds were very jerky and then they came out with the 5-speed which has had a ton of reliability problems.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: TBR on September 23, 2006, 04:41:16 PM
It wouldn't be a bad idea, Honda has never been too good at ATs. Up until the late '90s their 4-spds were very jerky and then they came out with the 5-speed which has had a ton of reliability problems.

Probably because ATs are more of an American thing.

Although, Nissan has always been good at ATs, AFAIK. Not sure about Toyotas.

The Pirate

Quote from: TBR on September 23, 2006, 04:41:16 PM

Hahah, those 5 speed auto may have some problems, but they are damn nice when they actually do function!

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

S204STi

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 23, 2006, 05:33:27 PM
Probably because ATs are more of an American thing.

Although, Nissan has always been good at ATs, AFAIK. Not sure about Toyotas.

Indeed Nissan ATs are very good.  In fact I spent some time figuring out a faulty torque converter lockup clutch because nobody in my shop with all their years of experience had any idea what it felt like in our cars, because it hardly ever happens.  Incidentally the 5spd AT in recent Maximas and Altimas with the VQ35DE weren't actually Nissan built trannies, though I forget who made them.  They are relatively solid, but there was a problem with the front pump bushing spinning in the case, sending aluminum shavings through the tranny and wiping out the front pump seal causing a leak.

The Pirate

Quote from: R-inge on September 23, 2006, 08:00:15 PM
Indeed Nissan ATs are very good.  In fact I spent some time figuring out a faulty torque converter lockup clutch because nobody in my shop with all their years of experience had any idea what it felt like in our cars, because it hardly ever happens.  Incidentally the 5spd AT in recent Maximas and Altimas with the VQ35DE weren't actually Nissan built trannies, though I forget who made them.  They are relatively solid, but there was a problem with the front pump bushing spinning in the case, sending aluminum shavings through the tranny and wiping out the front pump seal causing a leak.

I have absolutely no idea why I remembered this, but after 2004 Nissan Maximas and Altimas used Aisin automatic trannies (also supplier to Toyota).  Prior to this, they had Jatco transmissions.

The interesting thing here is that Jatco is a subsidiary of Nissan, and has supplied transmissions to many auto manufacturers from all of the continents, yet no longer is supplier for two of the parent company's vehicles.

280Z Turbo

I know the Jatco trannies for all of the Z-cars can take tons of abuse!

I know a guy who has abused his automatic 1973 Fairlady Z for 20+ years and it shows no signs of slowing down.

SVT_Power

Sigh the explorer showed no problems at all until lately and seems like the transmission is gonna start causing problems :banghead:

TBR

S204STi

Quote from: The Pirate on September 23, 2006, 08:53:46 PM

I have absolutely no idea why I remembered this, but after 2004 Nissan Maximas and Altimas used Aisin automatic trannies (also supplier to Toyota).  Prior to this, they had Jatco transmissions.

The interesting thing here is that Jatco is a subsidiary of Nissan, and has supplied transmissions to many auto manufacturers from all of the continents, yet no longer is supplier for two of the parent company's vehicles.

Thanks for clarifying that for us brother. :rockon:

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on September 23, 2006, 08:53:46 PM

Isn't the human brain a wondrous machine?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza on September 24, 2006, 09:17:37 PM
Isn't the human brain a wondrous machine?

In a word, yes.

That being said, if I could only remember stuff that I needed to know, life would quite a bit simpler.

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on September 24, 2006, 09:42:52 PM
In a word, yes.

That being said, if I could only remember stuff that I needed to know, life would quite a bit simpler.

It's those random moments that make life fun, testing situations taxing, and the effects and after-effects of psychotropic drugs so much more intriguing.

;)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.